ROAD cargo bike for my kid or an esky

roofguy

Likes Dirt
Got one of the cross braces welded in today. 2 to go and ive figured out the stand design. Once the 2 other braces are welded i may be closer to clear powder coating it which will solve rust issues. I'm after a piece of 15mm ply for the base then ill sort mounts for child seat/esky. Ill try and get some more pics of the steering system over the weekend.

aanon

Likes Dirt
I've used a "the pig" headset
Well, That's 3 kg right there:biggrin1:
Top work roofguy, looks bloody good, even better knowing you made it yourself, look forward to seeing it with the deck/box/cargo tray or whatever it's called on there, Esky makes sense to me.

roofguy

Likes Dirt
Well, That's 3 kg right there:biggrin1:
Top work roofguy, looks bloody good, even better knowing you made it yourself, look forward to seeing it with the deck/box/cargo tray or whatever it's called on there, Esky makes sense to me.
Well since one of the headset cups i machined is a bit undersize it ain't coming out unfortunately!

roofguy

Likes Dirt
pic update

Heres a few pics of the design/parts that I fabricted to make the bike work. I've since mounted a sheet of 20mm ply that I had lying around and fitted it to the 30mm square I welded in this arvo.

The above pic it the attachment from the bottom 0 degree stem. The black block is made from delrin as its what I had around. The steering arm I realised early enough in the design needed to be fixed in 2 of the 3 axis. At this point it can pivot in the vertical and horizontal planes when viewed from the riding position. The 3 rd plane is dealt with via the 10mm rod end that is pictured below. Hope this makes sense. The reason for the steel and delrin washers that are pictured is so that the block can pivot from the stem and the steering arm can pivot from the block whilist still being bolted up pretty tight. I've used 10mm bolts that I'll replace with different ones once I have a chance to visit the local bolt supplier.

I mentioned earlier about the stem for the front fork. As you can see in the above pic this is the spacer that I have fitted for the moment as I don't have a clamp. I think that I need one as the bolt into the star nut could undo and the fork could become loose. Not sure the fix to this but one will come. If I sort a short enough stem I might see how that looks.

This is the mount for the steering arm with the 10mm rod end. The large nut in the pic is only there as I didn't have a bolt the correct length. That will come once I've visit the above mentioned bolt shop.

Last edited:

roofguy

Likes Dirt
small update

I've been looking a bit at the clear coat and while searching it became apparent that a product called POR15 is a option. I had a crack at rebuild a motorcycle tank some time back and guess what....I've already got some.

This hopefully will allow me to ride the bike regardless of weather over the next few months in Melb without worrying to much about rust etc. I also ran out of gas with the welder so I'm hoping that I can get by as it is now.

Also I'll be at my folks soon so I'll search round for a car racing harness that I have had for years that will hold my little one in situ once I've found a booster seat to attach. I'll attach a pic once its fitted. The esky is the next project and how to attach it.