Cassette skipping on new chain

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Just changed a chain and the chain is skipping on the centre cog in the cassette. Other cogs are good and the front chainring is good too. Any ideas? Just see if it beds in? It's full GX but the new chain is a KMC X11...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Unless you're doing regular chain rotation with multiple chains at 0.25/0.5/0.75% its a good idea to replace cassette and chainring at the same time as chains.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Only that cog? Check it for damaged/bent/missing teeth.
Otherwise, it’s just too worn for new chain.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I fitted a new drivetrain yesterday and it was great apart from skipping on one cog in the middle of the cassette. It took a bit of adjusting finding the right tension on the cable but eventually I got it all pretty much silent and skip free. The derailleur was just close enough in the middle cogs for the next cog up to be occasionally catching a chain link, picking it up and dropping it causing the skip.

DMan

Unless you're doing regular chain rotation with multiple chains at 0.25/0.5/0.75% its a good idea to replace cassette and chainring at the same time as chains.

True. The old chain was only between 0.5 and 0.75 though. Hence I thought I'd get in early. All other cogs are good. Just the 1 centre cog

DMan

Only that cog? Check it for damaged/bent/missing teeth.
Otherwise, it’s just too worn for new chain.
Just the one. I'll have another look as it was dark, cold and drizzly when I got home. And I was scared. It would piss me off it I have to change the cassette as it's looks good to me....

I fitted a new drivetrain yesterday and it was great apart from skipping on one cog in the middle of the cassette. It took a bit of adjusting finding the right tension on the cable but eventually I got it all pretty much silent and skip free. The derailleur was just close enough in the middle cogs for the next cog up to be occasionally catching a chain link, picking it up and dropping it causing the skip.
I'll check it out tonight. I had it shifting nicely before the ride. Everything changes when you load the system of course.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just changed a chain and the chain is skipping on the centre cog in the cassette. Other cogs are good and the front chainring is good too. Any ideas? Just see if it beds in? It's full GX but the new chain is a KMC X11...
I'd see if it beds in as you don;t have much to lose. I've been lucky before with a new chain skipping on a single cog and it went away after a few rides/

DMan

I'd see if it beds in as you don;t have much to lose. I've been lucky before with a new chain skipping on a single cog and it went away after a few rides/
That's definitely my theory before I drop $270 on a new GX cassette

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Doesn't that just mean you've prematurely worn your chain so now it matches the stretch of the cassette?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doesn't that just mean you've prematurely worn your chain so now it matches the stretch of the cassette?

Not sure. The 2nd chain skipped for the short time then bedded in. It's now onto it's third - which has never skipped. Maybe chain no.2 was slightly under spec.

DMan

Not sure. The 2nd chain skipped for the short time then bedded in. It's now onto it's third - which has never skipped. Maybe chain no.2 was slightly under spec.
That's why I was mentioning the fact it's a KMC. Maybe I'd have been better with an eagle specific chain?

Flow-Rider

Burner
It seems the 12sp doesn't like going past .5, I've just stuck with 2x10 but most new frames don't like running 2x or 3x.

I had a good laugh the other day, caught up to a rider on a deserted trail and I see him constantly look down at his bike wondering what the noise is, as it was my bike clanging with the chain slapping on the front derailleur.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
personally not happy with how the sram gx cassette has worn on my bike, replaced the chain which was a bit over 0.5 worn when i fitted the x01 mech but am getting some skipping on my most used gears, so im making the switch to XT 12spd shimano, buying one of those and a microspline freehub body is still cheaper than a new sram one.