NSW Castle Hill

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for pointing me at that ! I never knew it was there , now I've got a 20km circuit which includes road , trail ,single track and a 1km circuit which is great all from my front door ....sort of !
cheers

michaelg

Likes Dirt
Support

Hey all,

I think it is great area ideal for the coucil to consider this riding venue. Because it has the amenities already in place to accomadate the xc racing we propose. I know it is a little premature but spuda count me in when i comes to general works !!!!!

Regards

Michaelg

michaelg

Likes Dirt
If you are looking for the latest on this thread check the watering hole under NSW, Castle hill ride !!!
We need all the help we can get !!!!
Don't we spudda !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im thinking ill be able to tackle it the approval process later in the year so will let you all know

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
Count me in to the max, im a bit far off (Kenthurst way) but im regularly riding through castle hill/ west pennat hills! It would be good to see a variety of riding facilitys develop.

matt575m

Cannon Fodder
Hi All, I'm a newbie to Rotoburn and also to the Baulkham Hills area and keen to get to know all the trails in the area and help develop some tracks near home. Did Spud and Michaelg get some rides going in the end? I'd like to meet up with someone who knows trails in the area. After a google search last weekend led me to it, I rode Catto and really enjoyed it but it could definitely do with some development like Oxford Falls or Manly Dam. There were plenty of ripe opportunities I noticed on my ride and I was only just near the BMX track on the Gilbert Rd side. Is anyone keen to ride this area (unfortunately weekends only for me in winter due to work and no lights....at this stage) or any area around Hills?

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We ride monday nights and the odd weekend I post up other rides that i do from time to time so keep a lookout in the watering hole

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Progress

Digging my own grave.

In Light of the recent Manly Dam developments i have some renewed energy
I Went to the WSMTB committee meeting last night and the ciommittee are prepared to back me in attempting to develop Catto as a riding venue.

So what im asking for is help, not having done this before any advice or documents, tips and techniques are welcome.

This is what i have so far
Map of Catto
Letter to council by Steve Humphries
HVMTB propsel for wayne richards park
Oxford Falls Plan of Management User Group Consultation documentation.

I have a few contacts
Ive had a few email discussions with Robin Rainton from Nobmob.
Contact with some local charities {long term event idea}
Contacts to use it as a schools venue
WSMTB Committee And potential to get a name from council.;

Bu t where do i start and who wants to help?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Contact council employees first (not councillors) ... bushland management or Parks / recreational lands (something like that) Sammydog help !.

Best to talk to the employees first ... get a feel for any plans that maybe in development or behind the scenes ... (try to get this before you tell them what your doing if possble).

Depending on what they say (eg, uhmmmm nah, nothing slated for them there bushes) ... then hit 'em with what your planning. and maybe organise a chat out at the site with the relevant Bushland Management Officer.

Key messages, you are trying to get any history of the site, a feel for any plans and how advanced these plans maybe, ask their advice as to what they would in terms of seeking council approval / engagement. Get a feel for their level of support (ie, if they seem keen on the idea or willing to support) then rope them in and see if they would be willing to table a report / recommendation to council (at some stage in the future - don't press).

So if all this goes well ^^^ above ^^^
- You have the local Club's support (WSMTB)
- You hopefully will have relevant council department's support (a submission by them at some stage would be icing)
- So next you need broad based community support (this is where email campaigns, petitions, general lobbying support, Councillor support comes in). Don't start this too early, need to do the ground work first ... detailed plans, a core support base, council directions etc.

I suggest you need a couple of peeps that you can trust, and are willing to give you support ... a club rep, a local builder or 3, and somebody with advocacy (hopefully the club rep) ... if you can get someone from Council (an employee I'm thinking) then cool ... but I don't it.

Good luck Dude ... be persistent, have have realistic expectations ... this takes time so managing expectations is very important.

Al

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So i cold called council and got a flat out no never will MTbs be allowed in Fred catterson reserve. I only spoke to someone in venue booking. Should I give up or should i try a different approach?

libbykc

Squid
Has there been any developments on this proposal?

I live in West Pennant Hills and know of an area which has very little use and could accomodate a 10k loop.
I think its owned by the M2 and already has a 4.5k loop XC loop.
This place has excellent potential, awesome terrain, fire road access ect

Its located in the Bidgigal Reserve or what was the excelsior Reserve.

How would one find out who owns the land?