Castlemaine

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just decided on a last minute family weekend in Castlemaine this weekend & want to hit up Pineys on Sat morning. Pretty much everything I have read points out how confusing it can be & how easy it is to get lost.
Any suggestions for a first timer, any shop rides head out on Saturdays?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Is Pineys the trails on the southern side of town starting across from the gun club where they once held the SS World Titles? If so it is not like it once was. You need to ride the trails on the North East side of town- past the sausage factory. Im not sure what they are called (i hope these arent called Pineys now)- look up the local MTB club for more details/ map or call into the bike shop. http://www.rockyriders.com/ride-castlemaine/trails/

Would some kind local show my good buddy Sane around please...............................these trails are awesome

Last edited:

golden path

Banned
Is Pineys the trails on the southern side of town starting across from the gun club where they once held the SS World Titles? If so it is not like it once was. You need to ride the trails on the North East side of town- past the sausage factory. Im not sure what they are called (i hope these arent called Pineys now)- look up the local MTB club for more details/ map or call into the bike shop. http://www.rockyriders.com/ride-castlemaine/trails/

Would some kind local show my good buddy Sane around please...............................these trails are awesome
That ride is called Baco, after the bacon factory.

Not sure if the recent logging has affected Pineys, some of that area has been cleared.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yep, that's what I was planning. Off Colles Rd by the gun club.
My understanding is that the logging of that area has seriously reduced the usual well known trails there. Perhaps a local could confirm. Got to ride the new stuff at Baco mate

I could be completely mistaken and talking out my arse in relation to the Pineys..............................

Last edited:

kbekus

Likes Dirt
the trails behind the Don Smallgoods factory are really nice. That would be a bummer if the pineys were lost though, they were cool trails too.

golden path

Banned
My understanding is that the logging of that area has seriously reduced the usual well known trails there. Perhaps a local could confirm. Got to ride the new stuff at Baco mate

I could be completely mistaken and talking out my arse in relation to the Pineys..............................
There was been considerable logging there - but as I've never ridden the actual trails there I don't know what if any effect the logging's had on the trails.

I'd ring one of the two local shops and ask, if it was me.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If you're on Farcebook jump on the Castlemaine Rocky Riders page & chuck'em a message. They'll be able to sort you out with the necessary info.

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Yep, most of the middle sections of the Pineys have been logged. You can still ride the Gun Club end and the Summit by linking the two side via access roads. You really need the local knowledge though or look on Strava for the trails.

Baco/Kens track out behind the Don factory has plenty of trails and most are marked (green, yellow, red loop) follow the coloured tree markings to get yourself around.

No official rides on Saturdays but there is usually someone out for a ride Saturday....contact the club.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, most of the middle sections of the Pineys have been logged. You can still ride the Gun Club end and the Summit by linking the two side via access roads. You really need the local knowledge though or look on Strava for the trails.

Baco/Kens track out behind the Don factory has plenty of trails and most are marked (green, yellow, red loop) follow the coloured tree markings to get yourself around.

No official rides on Saturdays but there is usually someone out for a ride Saturday....contact the club.
And that's where I ended up.

Tight rocky switchbacks for miles. It might be a bit different right now but it was dry and loose AF on Sat morning.

Well worth a visit

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
And that's where I ended up.

Tight rocky switchbacks for miles. It might be a bit different right now but it was dry and loose AF on Sat morning.

Well worth a visit
Never really gets all that soggy in Castlemaine even after rain. Few puddles here and there but no real mud...... Lots o' rocks!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Serious thread dig, sorry.

Castlemaine pineys - what’s the go these days? Heard good things, but how does it compare to Harcourt for example? Trails navigable with trailforks or is it really a need-a-local sort of deal?