Casual Sydney Rides

rmvvwls

Likes Bikes
theres a few climbs there people say are hard
Pffft. The only moderately difficult climb on it is the last one back out to the park entrance. :whistle:

I've taken a few beginners out there and it's super good for them. The trail is pretty cruisy, the views are great, and if the weather is good then it's a great, chill day.

Does anyone have a spare half day during the week to show me around the XC trails at Ourimbah? Been wanting to go for ages.

Last edited:

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pffft. The only moderately difficult climb on it is the last one back out to the park entrance. :whistle:

I've taken a few beginners out there and it's super good for them. The trail is pretty cruisy, the views are great, and if the weather is good then it's a great, chill day.

Does anyone have a spare half day during the week to show me around the XC trails at Ourimbah? Been wanting to go for ages.
Im free on Wednesday the 1st of October and am more than happy to show you around up there, if you like i can also show you the dh trail which can be ridden on a 5 or 6 inch bike

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IMO:
ride from woodford to glenbrook is really chilled... except for a hot summers day as its got little tree cover too.
theres a few climbs there people say are hard, but the 2 times I've ridden the Oaks I have never really struggled. ie get off and needed to walk or felt like dying.

the single track at the end of the Oaks trail to the carpark is buckets of fun. Think 30kms/h of flat,narrow but flowing ST. Faster you pedal the faster/more fun it is. Would be awesome at night me thinks

The new section thats been built recently is alright too. Very smooth and flowy... the 'black' or 'A' line is very do-able. I think the only hard feature is a 1 foot drop you can roll off if you had to.
Its great but short... again its not a trail I'd drive 50mins + train trip and/or Nato park entry to ride.
however! Oaks is a trail you can ride with a pack of 20 and still have fun. The Oakes trail is so wide, and perfect for large groups unlike 95% of other trails.
Im thinking of heading up to ride the oaks trail on the 30th of September and wondering if its best to train it to Katoomba and ride down from there or train it to woodford ride from there?

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Im thinking of heading up to ride the oaks trail on the 30th of September and wondering if its best to train it to Katoomba and ride down from there or train it to woodford ride from there?
I wouldn't ride from Katoomba, when the end result is Glenbrook. (Too much road) Maybe Wentworth Falls (you can get into the bush via Tableland Road) but, I just ride Glenbrook-Woodford-Glenbrook abt 58km.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want to extend the oaks trail a bit yiu could do andersons trail from wentwortg falls station to woodford. Think the oaks' big brother.
Going up and back on the oaks is an option but its a bit of a grind uphill. My prefered ride is to go up to lawson and do the tracks there which brings me out at hazelbrook then take the road next to the train line down to woodford. Makes about 40 or so km and mixes up firetrail and singletrack nicely.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Its not bad.... but my god is that climb out nasty!...... you're prob okay coz you have a 42T bail out cog :p
That climb out is a piece of cake.... Didn't use the 42t I think I was in the 19-23t range and cranked through it. It's actually a pretty fun climb. Rolls well under power.

Met a dude from castle hill named Karl there on a trance 2 27.5. Rode a bit of the way around with him and hit the trail start jumps for a few laps.

Anyone know where the start of the full bottle segment is?

rmvvwls

Likes Bikes
Im free on Wednesday the 1st of October and am more than happy to show you around up there, if you like i can also show you the dh trail which can be ridden on a 5 or 6 inch bike
I would, but I'm in Brisbane all of next week. I'll hit you up when I get back though, for sure.
I've only got a XC hardtail, so I'd probably be pretty slow down the DH.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
That climb out is a piece of cake.... Didn't use the 42t I think I was in the 19-23t range and cranked through it. It's actually a pretty fun climb. Rolls well under power.

Met a dude from castle hill named Karl there on a trance 2 27.5. Rode a bit of the way around with him and hit the trail start jumps for a few laps.

Anyone know where the start of the full bottle segment is?
Yeah same, climb out is steep but not that hard really. I just did it easily when I was tired on my SS with 2.2 Ikons. I guess rigid is good for something :p

ChopSticks

Banned
Yeah same, climb out is steep but not that hard really. I just did it easily when I was tired on my SS with 2.2 Ikons. I guess rigid is good for something :p
pssssh..... Single speeder talk :p
How did you find the rigid fork upfront?

Don't you work chops? I'm sitting in an office looking at this awesome day outside and wishing I was out there.
Told work I have 'uni exams' ..... Which is true! ..... But last one was yesterday lol
so will try and make the most of weather !!!

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
I was there last weekend - overall it's got to be one of the best smiles per km tracks in Sydney. Awesome variety within the 1 loop.
Same, I agree. I was there after being off the MTB for a month (was stolen) and my lap on that part of the trail was the best part. Felt so quick and out of control on some of those off camber bits. But the dirt is moist enough to stop stupid slips and stuff like that. Great stuff.

Lang, Norm and James, pleasure to meet you guys today and thanks for the fun ride. Always more enjoyable to ride with other people.

I'll happily join you guys again, when time permits!

Mike

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Where is everybody riding this long weekend?

I have done all these trails close to the city..
Manly Dam
Ourimbah
Yellowmundee
Laka Para
Glenbrook - Woodford

But after these what is the next step? Happy to drive a little further with the long weekend but would like to keep to day trips only.

Cheers!

mtboer

Likes Dirt

Manly Dam
Ourimbah
Yellowmundee
Laka Para
Glenbrook - Woodford

But after these what is the next step? Happy to drive a little further with the long weekend but would like to keep to day trips only.

Cheers!
Kentlyn, Mt Annan & Appin

antonfourie

Likes Dirt
Red Hill social explore - Monday 6th October

Hitting Red Hill on Monday the 6th October, all skill / fitness levels are welcome

Meet at 9am

Red Hill Reserve car park, off Lady Penryhn Drive, Beacon Hill.

I will be on the Mondraker Dune XR

Last edited:

Luco

Likes Dirt

Manly Dam
Ourimbah
Yellowmundee
Laka Para
Glenbrook - Woodford

Cheers!
Defiantly kentlyn for its maze of DH shutes. Also the best place to learn doubles.
I like loftus - lots of exploring to be had and some pretty techy and steep stuff.
Red Hill is a must if you wanna challenge your technical ability and conquer some big shit.
Stromlo Canberra, in a day is doable.
Awaba is fun. But a little too much climbing for my liking. Haven't done the DH track there but heard it is insane.
Appin is pretty good as well. Some fast little single track around the place.
Omv valley is quite good actually and the more you do it the better it gets IMO. But not really a day trip, you could add H2O after for some more fun.

Couple mates and I will be hitting somewhere up on Saturday, just not sure yet, happy to keep you in the loop...