Chain dropping off front ring, rear X9 derailluer issue or ?????

JEBBS

Likes Dirt
need some help, Gone 1 X 10, awesome.
Chain now drops off the front single ring (wolf ring), chain line is good both from ends of the cluster.
Normal riding on average technical stuff is fine, any faster decents where teeth start to rattle the chain drops sooner rather later

Looked on web and adjusted the bolt near top jockey well, a few times as small steps are better than one large fuck up

Should I toss the rear SRAM X9 derailluer in the bin and go back to my trusted Shimano?
Or look through Farkin/Rotorburn for a front cahin guide to suit 2014 Norco Carbon Sight?

Help appreciate

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
is the single ring a narrow wide? is your chain tight enough -could you take a link out & make it shorter..how far forward is the derialleur when in the smallest gear, eg striaght down forward by XX degree's

i wouldnt be ditching the sram derailleur, i much prefer them to shim

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had an X9 type 2 as well and found that I still dropped the chain a fair bit so just added a chain guide. Have since swapped it out for a Zee and there is less chain slap, but as I am still running the top guide I don't know if would be dropping less.

JEBBS

Likes Dirt
chain issue

Cheers guys, Chainring is both narrow and wide (Wolf ring)???

Have looked at chain length and XX degrees of arm of derailluer, still drops off if I use a lower gear 25Teeth for decending just to diagnose.

Starting to explore top guide for chain, however welcome all feedback as chain guides are new to me

Keep those suggestions coming :)

JEBBS

Likes Dirt
ONE up

Azza, One up looks awesome, cheers
64 from CRC, 85 locally, mmmmmmm Should support local shops!!!!

Interesting feedback from review about lack of rotation of overall guide given small adjustment holes.

Think this could be it :)

Keep those suggestions coming

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am also assuming you have iscg05 tabs?

I stuffed around with chain lengths and chain rings for a while and decided it was just easier, and more reliable, to just run a top guide. At least now I can be almost 100% certain the chain will not drop and it is one less thing to worry about.

They were cheap at Mountainbikesdirect, but looks like they are out of stock.

mitch_302

Likes Dirt
When I first got my Rocky mountain around a year and a half ago I was running it with the same set up, X9 type 2 and Wolftooth NW chainring. The only time it would drop the chain was when I didn't have the High limit adjustment screw on the X9 set properly so it had room to completely derail itself off the smallest cog. May not be the same for you as you said you get the same thing in lower gears.

MARKL

Eats Squid
How often is it dropping?

My bike with NW still drops the chain occasionally, about the same as when I had a top guide. Would probably drop less if I put the top guide back on but it is now a hell of a lot quicker to put it back on than when there was a guide. For me the current set up is the best compromise,whatever you do there will be some compromise, I guess it comes down to ho often it drops?

stirk

Burner
You can tighten the clutch yeah?

Maybe it's loose so not doing much to tame the effects of the terrain and the rear mech is flapping about and flicking the chain off.

I get next to no noticeable chain slap with my clutched SLX mech.

I've dropped a chain once in a year.

My sons bike runs this setup too and he has been having issues dropping the chain.
Had a good look at it all, tightened up the cable, checked all the bolts, cranks etc...No real idea or obvious reason.
He took my bike for a spin, and same thing happened. And this has never happened to me.
He rides with his feet at weird angles and his shoes were kicking the chain off, straightened his feet and solved the issue.
Something I have been telling him to do for a couple of years now.
Probably not your problem but just an example.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
maybe a dumb quesrion but so the sram derailleur's have a clutch engage tab [in order to remove rear wheel] just like the zee derailleurs -is it set to OFF?

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I might be in the minority, haven't dropped a chain with a narrow wide since they first came of the market.

Mate rides the same frame I used to, same drivetrain, and occasionally drops a chain, we've looked at the bike, all is set up good, NW is not worn. Surely there is a bit of luck involved?

Another thing to cheap is how much tension is on the clutch, might need some more.

yeti303

Likes Bikes
My vote is to add at least a top guide, and these days you can get some pretty light trial guides with extra stay protection, or even a bash guard. I've had mates destroy a wide narrow ring on a rock.
Just depends on how much security and protection you want

JEBBS

Likes Dirt
chain drop

Cheers guys for all the feedback.

run clippless so feet angle shouldn't be an issue, however will have a brief look while riding.
have adjusted the tension a few times on the derailluer to no avail.
Does not matter what cog on the rear.

The general view is top guide, which I am in negotiations with the minister of finance about now :)

Cheers