Chain failure advice ?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Back to the original post. Can you take a photo with the chain in the biggest cog and the suspension compressed (either air out or take out a shock bolt).

That’s if you actually want to try to work out if there’s a reason for the problem. Otherwise, is there any point to this thread?

Stringybark

Likes Bikes
Back to the original post. Can you take a photo with the chain in the biggest cog and the suspension compressed (either air out or take out a shock bolt).

That’s if you actually want to try to work out if there’s a reason for the problem. Otherwise, is there any point to this thread?
The intention was definitely to try & find a reason...otherwise one will be waiting, waiting, waiting for it to happen again.
The chains never been on the big gog (well, not while I've had it) but that's beside the point I guess.
Whenever I buy a new bike I aim to get one that's been boxed until a day or two before I pick it up.
That wasn't the case with this bike....it'd been on the shop floor for some time I suspect but it was the last one available & $1500 off.
You may be onto something....I can't understand how both side plates would just snap in half ?
I don't do jumps (too risky for old dudes) perhaps it's possible some big sumo gave it a workout behind the shop at some time.
Who knows...the new chain arrived today so I'll get it on & do as you suggest......thanks a lot creaky, I appreciate your help.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The intention was definitely to try & find a reason...otherwise one will be waiting, waiting, waiting for it to happen again.
The chains never been on the big gog (well, not while I've had it) but that's beside the point I guess.
Whenever I buy a new bike I aim to get one that's been boxed until a day or two before I pick it up.
That wasn't the case with this bike....it'd been on the shop floor for some time I suspect but it was the last one available & $1500 off.
You may be onto something....I can't understand how both side plates would just snap in half ?
I don't do jumps (too risky for old dudes) perhaps it's possible some big sumo gave it a workout behind the shop at some time.
Who knows...the new chain arrived today so I'll get it on & do as you suggest......thanks a lot creaky, I appreciate your help.
If they bottom out that bad they usually break the derailleur hanger bracket off but I've seen it with my own eyes, 2 brand new KMC x10 chains side plates split at the pins, both OEM chains on bikes that were a few kms old. I have one on my xc bike, jump it all the time and never had a problem so yeah go figure.