chain guides dual ring vs single ring

dual ring device vs single ring device

• single ring device

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tu plang

knob
i know the options are a lil like chalk and cheese, but if u read the thread u will understand the reason for my asking :)

over the last month or so i have been looking to get a chaindevice of some description and as many ppl on here have said the aireal was good value i had all but decided on it, but i have found myself using the granny wheel more and more as a live on the top of a b$tch of a hill
soo... who has used a dual ring device?

i already have a bashring so something like a DMR dual chain reactor would b good
but if neone has a reason not to get a DMR dcr wat are these like:
evil DRS, MRP - LRP, Blackspire Dewlie
and are there ne other options that i havent mentioned/dont know of

if dual ring devices arent too reliable i could always get fitter and go for a single ring one.

i apologise for reposting a similar thread to my last one but i didnt get a good response and was not satisfied with my knowledge on the options.
please only vote if u have used a single/double chain device for a decent time (atleast a couple of good rides)

advice is very much appreciated
ben

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
pretty much all the bikes i have at the moment use a single front ring.
but this is coming from a person who was using a raceline DH duallie for XC for weeks. now i'm using a torrent for XC/trails.
in general tho i find that i can grunt my way up most hills in granny gear, and if i can't, then i'll just walk. it's no biggie, and i'm findiong that it's making me stronger and forcing me to worry more about positioning on the trails as well.
so probably stick with a single, especialy if you do any DH/urban/general thrashing around.

naz

Criminally Inane
stop bein such a girl run a single chainring at the front, 2 just give more chance of a chain droppin pffffffftttttt...god this is as contriversail as ipod vs iriver :roll: (even though iriver is better) :p

tu plang

knob
hahahah oh no ive brought out the monster in naz, im never gonna get a serious response from him again :p :D
hmmm highate hill is like one of the highest points in brisbane and riding up isnt pretty,
i think i might go single though, gimme big calfs
but that isnt set in stone so keep the info and votes coming please i gotta put my bday order in soon :D

naz

Criminally Inane
haha ima try to redeam myself...
runnin single i find is plenty, even a good ss gear i can be happy with.
ive never been one for 2 front chainrings its a hassle changing and half the time id probably forget i had it ehe
what bike u thinkin of runnin it on..that mite help a bit :p

tu plang

knob
wanna put one on my stuff, as i have lost the chain a couple of times just riding around and its sh$tting me
it might have just been the alivio deraileur which broke since and was replaced with an lx but i havent come up with nething more useful to get for my bday yet

Woodsie

Likes Dirt
I've just put an e-thirteen dual ring guide on and been for a couple of rides and am pretty happy. Before I got the chainguide the chain would drop off the front ring all the time, but I could usually pedal it back on without stopping. But a major pain in the arse if I wanted to back pedal or power out of something.

With the chain guide I have gone to all my favourite spots that used to drop the chain, and the chain has stayed put. The e-thirteen guide is a pretty clean design, and it doesn't look like there are any nasty little gaps for the chain to get caught in if it does come off, unlike a lot of single ring setups some of my mates run. The real beauty of course is that I still have a second ring for when I want to get back to the top of the hill (Well, will have when I get a front shifter again. :( ).

Biggest hassle with the e-thirteen dual ring guide is that they are a pain to get hold of as there isn't an Aussie distibutor and demand has far outstripped supply.