Chain life of SLX 12 speed chains??

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I fitted an SLX Hypergide2 chain when I fitted a new cassette and chainring about 1 month, 200km ago. It's shagged already. I did break the chain about 100km ago and had to reduce it by a link and a half which has made it a bit too short. Would that stress it enough to shag it after such a short amount of time? It's been degreased/ relubed twice after really gritty rides and lubed after every other ride. I've fitted another new SLX chain last night as it's all I had but I'm trying to decide if I should just suck it up and go XTR for the next chain? Are that much better? I've always got good life out of SLX or XT chains before this....

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Chain life with the move to 12spd gear seems to have reduced across the board from the things that I overhear...
Top tier eagle AXS users seems to complain loudest but open their wallets widest

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I fitted an SLX Hypergide2 chain when I fitted a new cassette and chainring about 1 month, 200km ago. It's shagged already. I did break the chain about 100km ago and had to reduce it by a link and a half which has made it a bit too short. Would that stress it enough to shag it after such a short amount of time? It's been degreased/ relubed twice after really gritty rides and lubed after every other ride. I've fitted another new SLX chain last night as it's all I had but I'm trying to decide if I should just suck it up and go XTR for the next chain? Are that much better? I've always got good life out of SLX or XT chains before this....
The 12 speed xtr chain i bought earlier this year was $75.
Think the cheaper one was 60...for 15 its a no brainer.

Staunch

Eats Squid
200km is nothing. When you imply it's worn out, is that just from your own judgement or with the use of a measuring tool?

Last edited:

DMan

200km is nothing. When you imply it's worn out, is that just from your own judgement or with the use of a measuring tool?
My Topeak chain tool. Slips right in quite nicely

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
. It's shagged already. I did break the chain about 100km ago and had to reduce it by a link and a half which has made it a bit too short. Would that stress it enough to shag it after such a short amount of time?
how on earth did it break after 100km? i’ve seen too tight chains loosen pins really fast but r u riding in biggest cog a lot to allow this? i ,presume you just got a bad chain, i usually run deore chains, leave my bikes out in the weather, still get over 2K km;s out of them..hmmm 9 spd heaven

DMan

how on earth did it break after 100km? i’ve seen too tight chains loosen pins really fast but r u riding in biggest cog a lot to allow this? i ,presume you just got a bad chain, i usually run deore chains, leave my bikes out in the weather, still get over 2K km;s out of them..hmmm 9 spd heaven
Not sure. One of the pins let go from one link behind where the quick link attaches so I had to remove the link. Could be a dud I guess. I'll see how this one goes

Scotty675

Cable thief
Shouldn't wear that quickly. I've got around 1800 on my commute bike chain (xtr)
and is still fine. Around 300 on a xt still like new.

teK--

Eats Squid
My Topeak chain tool. Slips right in quite nicely
Make sure you are using a chain measuring tool that is 12 speed compatible. Otherwise you are getting false readings.

With regular chain rotation I am getting around 1200Kms per Eagle GX chain, and so far almost 4,000kms on the original casette still going.

DMan

@DMan You think it might have something to do with the high granite content in the soil from Stanthorpe ?
I do wonder. When I get home from a ride my driveline sounds like I've poured sand in it. I do wipe down and lube for that reason after every ride, but there's still grit in there. But I've still got good life out of Eagle and KMC chains.

Make sure you are using a chain measuring tool that is 12 speed compatible. Otherwise you are getting false readings.

With regular chain rotation I am getting around 1200Kms per Eagle GX chain, and so far almost 4,000kms on the original casette still going.
I thought that was just the high end Eagle chains due to larger rollers?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What lube are you using?

A waxy lube like Squirt or RnR Blue will do a really good job of shedding sand and dust.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

DMan

What lube are you using?

A waxy lube like Squirt or RnR Blue will do a really good job of shedding sand and dust.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Mucoff Dry lube. It's the best I've found in relation to not picking crap up for our conditions. I've used Squirt, the RnR range and the new Ride Mechanic wet/dry lube, which is great too, but find Mucoff lasts better.

Minlak

custom titis
Did some googling - as I have 12 sos Shimano now - annnnddddd
How did you measure it? I would recommend double checking with a ruler not a measuring tool.
Is it measurement alone you are relying on to say it’s stuffed or hAs the shifting changed?

Having said all that if I had broken my chain already I would just replace it as a matter of caution as I get a long way from assistance when riding and often alone.
Sorry if you already answered some of this can’t scroll back whilst answering my phone has had a the dick today for some reason

DMan

Did some googling - as I have 12 sos Shimano now - annnnddddd
How did you measure it? I would recommend double checking with a ruler not a measuring tool.
Is it measurement alone you are relying on to say it’s stuffed or hAs the shifting changed?

Having said all that if I had broken my chain already I would just replace it as a matter of caution as I get a long way from assistance when riding and often alone.
Sorry if you already answered some of this can’t scroll back whilst answering my phone has had a the dick today for some reason
I was only using the tool so it seems like that mustn't be the best method with 12sp chains. Shifting was a bit fucked anyway so at 10pm when I got back from picking the bike up I changed the inner gear and outer shift cable and surprisingly it shifts really nicely now. And much softer trigger push too now the inner isn't held up.....

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I do wonder. When I get home from a ride my driveline sounds like I've poured sand in it. I do wipe down and lube for that reason after every ride, but there's still grit in there. But I've still got good life out of Eagle and KMC chains.
maybe give was a go, i love it as fine dirt doesn’t stick, jockey wheels stay clean..i use a kmart rice cooker, heat up candles, add paraffin oil, when melted let chain sit 5-10 you’re done, let cool. petrol clean chain before starting