Chain life of SLX 12 speed chains??

teK--

Eats Squid
I do. But after a ride (Night ride) I figure a wipe and relube is better than nothing. Coincidentally, I had fully degreased that chain twice with RideMechanic degreaser.
What is your chain measurement tool?
I do. But after a ride (Night ride) I figure a wipe and relube is better than nothing. Coincidentally, I had fully degreased that chain twice with RideMechanic degreaser.
Sorry I incorrectly assumed you only wipe the chain.

Here is the tool:

Scotty675

Cable thief
Id recomend using a chain srubber regularly. I clean my chain after every ride, even if I don't wash my bike. I use chain scrubber with degreaser (tip degreaser into a container after use, it will separate the grit to bottom and you can reuse it). I then wipe chain with a rag, fill chain scrubber with hot water and repeat twice, wiping chain with a rag between changes. Then lube with RandR blue and wipe off excess with rag. I may be a bit pedantic but chains will last.
Also before fitting new chain wait for the links to arrive and set chain to correct length. I will put money on you get smoother shifting once B gap is set correctly.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Id recomend using a chain srubber regularly. I clean my chain after every ride, even if I don't wash my bike. I use chain scrubber with degreaser (tip degreaser into a container after use, it will separate the grit to bottom and you can reuse it). I then wipe chain with a rag, fill chain scrubber with hot water and repeat twice, wiping chain with a rag between changes. Then lube with RandR blue and wipe off excess with rag. I may be a bit pedantic but chains will last.
Also before fitting new chain wait for the links to arrive and set chain to correct length. I will put money on you get smoother shifting once B gap is set correctly.
At 9pm I just want to eat dinner though.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
So much chain love.

I anally keep an eye on the 'stretch' all chains get swapped at 0.75, carry 8-10 chains as spares at all times across 10-11-12spd.

Squirt lube for 15 yrs... waxing is too much for the amount of bikes we have, couldn't keep up.

Minlak

custom titis
I told myself on purchase of my last drive train I was going to swap the chains at .5 stretch to save swapping whole train - dutifully swapped at .5 and the whole thing ground like a mofo and wouldn’t mesh had to change while train anyway - now run mine til they all need swapping :)

ozzybmx

I told myself on purchase of my last drive train I was going to swap the chains at .5 stretch to save swapping whole train - dutifully swapped at .5 and the whole thing ground like a mofo and wouldn’t mesh had to change while train anyway - now run mine til they all need swapping :)
I have never had that issue, seriously. I swap chains at 0.75 and my cassettes and chainrings last a long time.

Just as an example, my 2015 Trek 9.9 SL Superfly was bought as a frame/forks and drivetrain, second hand at 1 yr old, the cassette was part of the buy. I have clocked 4544km on that bike with the same XX1 cassette, I change the chain at 0.75... the cassette looks great and had a load of Kms on it before I owned it.

My Cervelo roadie had 10000km on the same cassette, but the chain was changed every ~2000km.... I don't know how people are needing new cassettes, to me, its baffling.

Minlak

custom titis
The meshing issue was the front chain ring and it was a wolftooth oval not the most renowned for longevity - I just bought a cassette as well cause - pretty sure cassette is still here as I deemed it usable :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
It depends on the conditions you ride in but I've heard lots of Mountainbikers having problems with 12speed after .5. Even @DMan had problems with a front chaining.

ozzybmx

It depends on the conditions you ride in but I've heard lots of Mountainbikers having problems with 12speed after .5. Even @DMan had problems with a front chaining.
12spd has a load of issues, chains, derailleurs and just shitness. Unless you spend on X0 or above... SRAM has worked out how to make their lower spec chains shit too.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
For those that rotate two or more chains on their drivetrain, how often do you swap them - assuming it would be quite regularly?

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put my new rear mech and chain on last night on my XTR 12 speed, it's done 1500km and chain was just below .5 so after a had to replace the rear mech I thought a new chain would be advisable since I don't want to buy a new XTR cassette.
Seems the chainring (E13 rubbish) is worn, the chain 'sticks' to the chain ring and won't release at the 6 o'clock position. Time for new cranks/chainring I think.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I put my new rear mech and chain on last night on my XTR 12 speed, it's done 1500km and chain was just below .5 so after a had to replace the rear mech I thought a new chain would be advisable since I don't want to buy a new XTR cassette.
Seems the chainring (E13 rubbish) is worn, the chain 'sticks' to the chain ring and won't release at the 6 o'clock position. Time for new cranks/chainring I think.
Is it just me or are e13 products just rubbish?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yep. The AbsoluteBlack I'm running specific to Shimano 12sp seems good but is still noisier than my wife's standard shimano 12sp chainring. We'll see which wears out first...

PJO

in me vL comy
Yep. The AbsoluteBlack I'm running specific to Shimano 12sp seems good but is still noisier than my wife's standard shimano 12sp chainring. We'll see which wears out first...
Aren't most Shimano 1x chainrings steel? Some sort of composite body with steel teeth?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Aren't most Shimano 1x chainrings steel? Some sort of composite body with steel teeth?
The slx and xt are 2 piece with aluminium spider with steel teeth. The xtr are so much lighter id say they are aluminium or shimano have used something special.
The tooth profile on aftermarket rings are a different profile still. Hard to get a good photo but raceface left v xt.