Chain Lube

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
I bought some squirt recently after being told it's the best lube ever, and it's thick like clag paste. It just sits on top of the chain and and I have to massage it in, hoping it penetrates the links. Then I end up with massive caked on wax everywhere for my troubles. I may as well be using whatever PP scrapes off his BBQ.
I bought some recently also after hearing the same things. Strange thing is mine is the exact opposite, I found it to be really thin even after a solid shake.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Pro link Gold /thread
Nup. Prolink is OK, but not brilliant. It's a better lube for road than MTB; being semi-dry - not staying wet like a wet lube, but not fully drying off like a dry lube, it handles wet reasonably well, but can tend to flush off sooner than a proper wet lube when the going gets really shit (there's the "Extreme" version which contains the same lubricants but in a heavier base, so is less prone to washing off), but because it's not fully dry, as someone else said above it doesn't cope well with dirty dry conditions and will collect dust as badly as a wet lube, turning into a sticky, cludgy inefficient mess. But on road, where there's typically less dust, it's much less of a problem, which is why it's a better road lube.

I haven't used everything, and none of the Rock n Roll stuff, but the best I have used is the Bike Milk. I haven't used its companion Bike Cream, but it should be as good. Milk is dry, Cream is wet, but the beauty is they can be mixed so you can do a custom intermediate mix to suit your conditions. For a dry lube I found the Milk to be fairly resilient, in that it sticks to the chain in wet conditions longer than other dry lubes, biut will eventually flush off. It also hangs on very well in the dry, only needing topping up every few weeks instead of after every ride with some others. And the best bit about it, it stays clean in all conditions, moreso than any other lube I've used (keep that bit within context please!)

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Made my own wax based lube a while back. Melted parrafin and solvent mix. It works a treat. I was commuting 300 + kms for a while (with gravel and dirt) and chain still clean and quiet. use on Moto chain too. I bought base product to make about 20 years worth for the price of a couple bottles of R n R.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Made my own wax based lube a while back. Melted parrafin and solvent mix. It works a treat. I was commuting 300 + kms for a while (with gravel and dirt) and chain still clean and quiet. use on Moto chain too. I bought base product to make about 20 years worth for the price of a couple bottles of R n R.
What solvents?

boyracer

Likes Dirt
I used xylene, paraffin oil, white spirit and solid paraffin.
I got given the recipe by a bloke at SS race at Woodend. Basically melt some candles add the rest in similar proportions by weight. Adjust to suit your preferences and local temperatures. If it is too thick add more solvent. I got a bunch of small squirt bottles from a hairdresser...the kind hair colour dye comes in.
It's a bit of friggin' around but i made about a litre. Smells and looks like 'bike mix'.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
I bought some squirt recently after being told it's the best lube ever, and it's thick like clag paste. It just sits on top of the chain and and I have to massage it in, hoping it penetrates the links. Then I end up with massive caked on wax everywhere for my troubles. I may as well be using whatever PP scrapes off his BBQ.
You are applying the lube on the inside of the chain no? The entire drive train (cassette, jockey wheels and chainring) basically do the job for you and a little should work its way out to the outside of the chain as your turning the cranks for a min after you’ve stopped appling the lube. If the chain is dirty then you’ll end up with black gunk on top of the chain so id leave that overnight then wipe it off real quick and your good to go.

Been using squirt for the last 4000-5000km of riding and i cannot fault it. Easiest hassle free, least time consuming...

I will say tho ive heard a few people lately who havent been happy with it, maybe something has changed or there are issues with their batches??

Travis.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Thread dig as there has been recent chat on waxing chains in other threads, I've ordered some AbsoluteBlack Graphenwax.

It cost me about the same as 2 big bottles of Rock'n'roll extreme which I've used for 5 years. I think I've gone through one big bottle per 1500km.

The wax is claimed to get 400km per application and provide about 60 applications with enough left to still immerse the chain from the amount in the package giving me 8x the km at least for the same cost. Also got a slow cooker for $15 off Facebook Marketplace.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thread dig as there has been recent chat on waxing chains in other threads, I've ordered some AbsoluteBlack Graphenwax.

It cost me about the same as 2 big bottles of Rock'n'roll extreme which I've used for 5 years. I think I've gone through one big bottle per 1500km.

The wax is claimed to get 400km per application and provide about 60 applications with enough left to still immerse the chain from the amount in the package giving me 8x the km at least for the same cost. Also got a slow cooker for $15 off Facebook Marketplace.
Will be really interested to see how this goes. I'm trying waxed chains at the moment and will have a look at this fancy wax you're talking about.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will have to get me some of that. Using paraffin + PTFE powder at the moment and really liking the results, but the Graphenwax seems to be the go and solves the issues I had with initial stiffness & wax crumbling/flaking off.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Will be really interested to see how this goes. I'm trying waxed chains at the moment and will have a look at this fancy wax you're talking about.
I believe you will clean your chain off when my shipment arrives and bring some beers around and immerse your chain in my slow cooker :D

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is the current hotness in chain lubes? I'm using Rock N Roll Gold at the moment and have been finding after 50km the chain is sounding dry, this usually isn't a problem but on longer rides it shits me.
Please don't recommend Muck Off, not a fan. I didn't mind the Squirt stuff, just fishing to see if there's any other recommendations?

Minlak

custom titis
What is the current hotness in chain lubes? I'm using Rock N Roll Gold at the moment and have been finding after 50km the chain is sounding dry, this usually isn't a problem but on longer rides it shits me.
Please don't recommend Muck Off, not a fan. I didn't mind the Squirt stuff, just fishing to see if there's any other recommendations?
I have just about run out of the home made stuff financialwar was making - wonder if he can get me more?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Rock n Roll Blue seems to last longer on the kids bikes than what Gold did. Can't say exactly how much longer though.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Squirt sucks. Claggy. I like Muck Off dry so you're fucked there as a recommendation. It's the best for our dry, gravelly conditions here. I do rate the stuff by Ride Mechanic though. They do a Bike mix which is pretty good.

Last edited: