Chain reaction cycles

PJO

in me vL comy
I haven't had any issues with CRC, but I haven't bought much from them this year, just a couple of rims, some bars and a few other small things. Everything arrived in good time.
Mostly I buy from MTB direct...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Actually - given the volume they move, they probably don't care...
Chain Reaction Cycles was a family business, where up until about 2-3 years ago, did actually care, employed locals and put a awful lot of money into cycling in Northern Ireland. They sponsored events, riders and teams, they also paid for a lot of trails to be built.... easily seen by their logos at each trailhead and sponsored logo on trail name signs.

Now Wiggle-CRC, closed up N Ireland operations and warehouses, bought out Bike24 and still increasing in size.... I would be surprised if they gave a shit really.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Yep - all this bagging on CRC is rather unwarranted IMO. Excellent website, many payment methods, one week delivery from the other side of the planet.

I’ve never been let down.
Totally agree. I've kept an eye on this thread for yonks and as much as it totally breaches the no name and shame thing we have going on, I've let it keep on keeping on because I know they are a damn good store and most of the comments are actually good in this thread. If it gets sour though, we'll ditch it so feel free to make good comments about good experiences, not just the bad ones that 94.9% of the time are just the buyer feeling hard done by because they didn't read the details properly.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
What?

So comment can be made only if they're nice and sweet, but anyone with a bad experience is wrong?

Either poor wording, or communist state.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
What?

So comment can be made only if they're nice and sweet, but anyone with a bad experience is wrong?

Either poor wording, or communist state.
If I'd worded it poorly, it would've said "Chain Reaction Cycles are a big site sponsor and we don't bite the hand that feeds" or something like that.
I get it, people have a shit experience but those experiences aren't causing cancer. Having a whine about it on here isn't typically a fruitful exercise and it creates a shitstorm for the things we do behind the scenes when we get some not so nice emails from companies who have had their name and brand questioned. I see both sides of it from a buyer's perspective and the business perspective and we need to make a call on who is the bigger fish. A lot of the time I have made some calls to people I know in the trade and gotten some good results for our forum members(warranty replacements, new for old parts etc etc) but no two situations are the same.
Singing the praises of a good experience is far more effective on the forum than complaining about an order showing up one day late. We all know it's Australia Post's fault and bagging them is totally fine. ;)

Binaural

Eats Squid
Singing the praises of a good experience is far more effective on the forum than complaining about an order showing up one day late. We all know it's Australia Post's fault and bagging them is totally fine. ;)
Alas, a public serve can be very effective if you've got a genuine grievance. It's just that some people set the bar too low and come off as whiners rather than as people who deserve fast resolution of their problem. But sometimes it's the only way to get some action.

One trend I am noticing is that pricing between Australian and UK suppliers has closed a lot lately. I am buying more and more from local suppliers as they slowly lift their game and get more efficient. I do buy from CRC for quite a bit of stuff, but as much as anything because I need things like shoes and clothes in rare sizes that local suppliers won't bother carrying.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
If I'd worded it poorly, it would've said "Chain Reaction Cycles are a big site sponsor and we don't bite the hand that feeds" or something like that.
I get it, people have a shit experience but those experiences aren't causing cancer. Having a whine about it on here isn't typically a fruitful exercise and it creates a shitstorm for the things we do behind the scenes when we get some not so nice emails from companies who have had their name and brand questioned. I see both sides of it from a buyer's perspective and the business perspective and we need to make a call on who is the bigger fish. A lot of the time I have made some calls to people I know in the trade and gotten some good results for our forum members(warranty replacements, new for old parts etc etc) but no two situations are the same.
Disagree. That's wording honestly, not poorly.

I've had a couple of shit experiences with them now, including their returns mob losing a parcel and them saying it was my problem. Problem is good feedback is generally only given when people perceive service to be exceptional or well above average. CRC used to be like that, now just another online retailer.

Still, Nukeproof stuff I do like.....

Warp

Likes Dirt
Still, Nukeproof stuff I do like.....
Yeah, I have their Sam Hill bar and stupidly put it on a bike that I left at my parent's in Mexico. That bar is really cool, just right for me and I put it on a bike I use 2 times a year (if that) and they don't sell it anymore. I should put that on on the confessions thread.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I have their Sam Hill bar and stupidly put it on a bike that I left at my parent's in Mexico. That bar is really cool, just right for me and I put it on a bike I use 2 times a year (if that) and they don't sell it anymore. I should put that on on the confessions thread.
I have one of them coming. Along with the matching stem lol

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Dozer, they were from a few years back too ?

I don't know what level they 'sponsor' RB to but hopefully in their current climb to world domination, they continue to sponsor RB.

Personally, I am not bagging them at all, I still place orders occasionally, though more from Bike24... I'm from N Ireland and remember buying a Proflex 956 from them in about 95-96ish (in shop), the shop was seriously no more than 40m square shop area, they were outgrowing it as their mail order was taking over the shop. Was sad to see them sell as it was built from a small shop with cycling as a passion, but a very big success story at the same time.

May the site sponsorship continue... but the forum relies members posting and most of the time when stuff is going well, nobody says much, when shit Isn't going the way we want, we get a rant.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At least (for now at least) CRC are only charging $10 delivery for orders under $100. I went to order a t shirt and a few spoke wrenches from Wiggle and the shipping cost came up at $33 for standard tracked delivery! fark that for a joke!

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
At least (for now at least) CRC are only charging $10 delivery for orders under $100. I went to order a t shirt and a few spoke wrenches from Wiggle and the shipping cost came up at $33 for standard tracked delivery! fark that for a joke!
Last time I ordered off CRC, shipping was free over $80.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I just ordered goods worth of $90 and wasn't charged any shipping. U sure they charge u $10 shipping for normal delivery? the $10 could be express?

I have been shopping at CRC for almost 8 years, never had any issue. They sent me wrong items a few times, but more than happy for me to keep the wrongly sent item and give me discount.
One of the changed I noticed since the wiggle merger was the stock. Mtb stuff tend to go out of stock but hardly go back in stock these days. Plus the ranges are diminishing as well. I do hope they don't just prioritise road stuff like wiggle do.

Price has also changed - not because of the 10% GST introduced, just generally increased. In the past, their prices were almost always better than pushys or mtb direct. Not the case anymore these days. So either the local shops have decided to lower their prices or CRC has gone more expensive. Combination of both I think.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
If CRC are site sponsors, that's great news. Maybe they could secretly open a 'no geoblock' window once a year sale that would go under the radar of their distributors for RB folk? We promise to keep quiet and between the forkwit and other banter no one would even know but everyone would be happy. :D

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
If CRC are site sponsors, that's great news. Maybe they could secretly open a 'no geoblock' window once a year sale that would go under the radar of their distributors for RB folk? We promise to keep quiet and between the forkwit and other banter no one would even know but everyone would be happy. :D
I'll talk to my people, I reckon it'll go unnoticed to the local distributors. ;)

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just ordered goods worth of $90 and wasn't charged any shipping. U sure they charge u $10 shipping for normal delivery? the $10 could be express?

I have been shopping at CRC for almost 8 years, never had any issue. They sent me wrong items a few times, but more than happy for me to keep the wrongly sent item and give me discount.
One of the changed I noticed since the wiggle merger was the stock. Mtb stuff tend to go out of stock but hardly go back in stock these days. Plus the ranges are diminishing as well. I do hope they don't just prioritise road stuff like wiggle do.

Price has also changed - not because of the 10% GST introduced, just generally increased. In the past, their prices were almost always better than pushys or mtb direct. Not the case anymore these days. So either the local shops have decided to lower their prices or CRC has gone more expensive. Combination of both I think.
$10 for oders under $100. Free for orders ovwr $100