Chain reaction cycles

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve bagged CRC’s service of late; however after a very rare trip to the LBS yesterday I’m glad CRC, Pushys, mtb direct and all the other competitive online stores exist. My wife purchased a Stumpjumper about 15 months ago and by all accounts it has been good. What really shits me though is how difficult it is to get specialized parts; especially for command dropperd and those atrocious Roval pieces of shit wheels! The traverse rims are soft as fuck and for the first time ever my wife managed to flat spot a rim. Anyhow? Long story short: I needed a few spokes for the Roval wheels. The spokes are 2/1.5/2 and I couldn’t find anything online. I figured I could use DT comp straight pulls which are heavier gauge but I’d try to get the correct ones first. I phone the LBS/ specialized dealer who said teah we have them, they are aroun $3.50 each. Expensive but at least I’ll have the right spokes. I picked them up, went home and thought hmmm they look a little heavier gauge than the others. Turns out the spokes are DT 2/1.8/2 which I could get anywhere for half the price! Having brought 6 spokes I feel like I’ve taken one for the team! I feel used and dirty!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeah Roval spoke sourcing sucks ballz.

The Spec store on Clarence St Sydney city is good - though I was reamed $5/spoke plus nipple...

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's nowhere else that can even touch the ongoing regular prices CRC has on shimano stuff. That's all I buy from them.

safreek

Well, I will give it to crc, they sold me some Clarke's hydro brakes, $63 or something like that for both ends.
They feel as good as the slx garbage I have on my bike.
Going to order more of them when I get the chance, great feeling brake for the price.
Ol matey and myself are going to put them to the test on the weekend .
Oh and crc were pretty quick with the delivery. Still love cyclingdeals more though

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Well, I will give it to crc, they sold me some Clarke's hydro brakes, $63 or something like that for both ends.
They feel as good as the slx garbage I have on my bike.
Going to order more of them when I get the chance, great feeling brake for the price.
Ol matey and myself are going to put them to the test on the weekend .
Oh and crc were pretty quick with the delivery. Still love cyclingdeals more though
ahh cyclingdeals...they have unbelievable bargains. I snatched a narrow wide chainring for $15 or something like that. still going strong after few months!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Now I'm looking - wow...what happened to the XT groupset pricing?

IIRC, I bought the 1x11 groupset (gears & brakes) for $730. Seems that era is over now.

Minlak

custom titis
There really is a lot of stuff out of their control. GST needing to be collected and Geo Blocking has really killed the absolute bargains that seemed to be had. they are still a great source of harder to find parts especially hope bits and pieces. I just want a Sram shifter clamp for my Tech 3 levers and it seems pointless to buy just them so I am filling a basket right now with other things. Its isn't that I avoid them its just not like it used to be. I still support them.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There really is a lot of stuff out of their control. GST needing to be collected and Geo Blocking has really killed the absolute bargains that seemed to be had. they are still a great source of harder to find parts especially hope bits and pieces. I just want a Sram shifter clamp for my Tech 3 levers and it seems pointless to buy just them so I am filling a basket right now with other things. Its isn't that I avoid them its just not like it used to be. I still support them.
I don’t mind the slightly less competitive prices now. I think the real issue that despite being a big company you used to still get the sense that it was run by a bunch of enthusiastic riders. You got helpful, knowledgeable responses to enquiries, shipping was always fast and properly packed, and the returns process was easy. It wasn’t just driven by price, it was also a good service. The locals, MTB Direct and Pushys are both killing it now, but the same can no longer be said of CRC. They used to be better but now they’re as bad as, if not worse than any other large online retailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warp

Likes Dirt
I don’t mind the slightly less competitive prices now. I think the real issue that despite being a big company you used to still get the sense that it was run by a bunch of enthusiastic riders. You got helpful, knowledgeable responses to enquiries, shipping was always fast and properly packed, and the returns process was easy. It wasn’t just driven by price, it was also a good service. The locals, MTB Direct and Pushys are both killing it now, but the same can no longer be said of CRC. They used to be better but now they’re as bad as, if not worse than any other large online retailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They still get high marks in my book. Prices are good and past 100 bucks you get free shipping to Straya which is a plus. That is something you don't get from retailers from Europe or the US.
I can't remember them messing with an order of mine, either.
It's just that the gap in prices and offer has been reduced greatly by local retailers.

Actually, being basically the same company, I largely prefer CRC to Wiggle.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The gap in pricing is slowly closing in between Aussie and overseas retailers. I still buy a lot of stuff from from CRC and Wiggles but my orders have gone from like 80% to around 30%.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The gap in pricing is slowly closing in between Aussie and overseas retailers. I still buy a lot of stuff from from CRC and Wiggles but my orders have gone from like 80% to around 30%.
Pushys and mtb direct are great as are many other online stores in Oz for various things. So far as retail stores go, my trip to the LBS a few days ago reaffirms my belief that most LBS suck balls!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Well - I just bought a Zee FR derailleur from CRC along with 5x quality inner gear cables (to make up $100) as locally that model Zee wasn't available and even if it was, it would have been at least $86 plus shipping from Pushys or MTBDirect.

Rang the LBS - $120 & none in stock at Shimano.

Goddam it - local distribution lets the side down again :mad:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I rekon I was easily on about $100 per month on random stuff between CRC and wiggle. Now I just pay average prices for stuff I need and don't really browse for bargains. There is the bargain buys thread for that.

Gone are the good old days where they sold 20mmhub 29er wheels for $50 a pop lol.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Well - I just bought a Zee FR derailleur from CRC along with 5x quality inner gear cables (to make up $100) as locally that model Zee wasn't available and even if it was, it would have been at least $86 plus shipping from Pushys or MTBDirect.

Rang the LBS - $120 & none in stock at Shimano.

Goddam it - local distribution lets the side down again :mad:
Pushys have it in stock and it's free shipping over $100 too.