Chain ring clearance issue

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
I have searched the forums and not been able to sort out what to do.
The problem: o_O
So I seem to be having a clearance issue with my am9- chain ring hitting the chainstay
slx 12s 30t cog
mt800 BB (68-73mm) with one spacer on the drive side because mine is 73mm
I am pretty much spot on 52mm chain line
Whats my problem? Whats the solution?
cheers

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
Heading to bed now but let me know if you need any other angles of pics and I will try and get them in the morning, cheers

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I thought the AM9 was a Shimano DH shoe..

Googling am9 chain ring yields https://www.bird.bike/aeris-am9/ and https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=203886&pagenum=10

Crank specs are 12 speed deore xt
Chainring Offset: 52mm Chainline
Fairly sure you just said you've got a FC-M8100-1 non-boost crankset (which shimano list as 52mm chainline) so you should be using a FC-M8120-1 boost (55mm) crankset.

I don't know why Shimano call 52mm non-boost, and 55mm boost but perhaps their numbers for 12s are skewed out 3mm from actual. Everyone else is 3mm less (and shimano 11sp EG M8000 is 2mm less - 50mm for non-bost and 53mm for boost...)

And people in the forum above seem to be running 32t non-boost OK, go figure.

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
So any recommendations on solutions 1) just buy the right crank? Haha 2) is running 3 spacers on the drive side too much?

smasher29er

Likes Bikes
Thanks everyone for the help I think I figured it out it's a chainring-crank issue (slx vs xt), I will be getting xt one with a 3mm offset.

moorey

call me Mia
Will that 3mm allow for the slight flex in cranks under load? It’s shithouse if even with the right cranks, 30t is maximum ring size.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I think I have the only othe AM 9 in Australia awesome bike!

Chainring clearance is tight but is fine for 32t round or 30t oval with boost. Fix your chainring spacing and get shredding on the Bird!