Chainring bolts stuck??

jeper5

Squid
very noob question.....

So while trying to remove the 24t chainring today on my Hussefelt-Howitzer cranks, i somehow managed to stip the allen key but not the bolt itself....

Is it just a case of dodgy, low quality allen keys or have the crankbolts somehow gotten stuck cos i was pushing frickin hard for no result

Any help appreciated

Joel

Danny B

Likes Dirt
very noob question.....

So while trying to remove the 24t chainring today on my Hussefelt-Howitzer cranks, i somehow managed to stip the allen key but not the bolt itself....

Is it just a case of dodgy, low quality allen keys or have the crankbolts somehow gotten stuck cos i was pushing frickin hard for no result

Any help appreciated

Joel
I'd spray some wd40 around the thread, leave to work in for a while and try again with a new allen key with a decent length handle (for leverage).

Were you using an imperial allen key? Metric and Imperial are very similar but not the same. You'll mess up your bolts and keys using the wrong size.

EDIT: also wrap some spare chain (or an old towel) around the exposed chainring so you don't cut yourself should you slip.

Last edited:

frensham

Likes Dirt
Most chainring bolts are alloy. If you have ruined your allen key on an alloy bolt........ 'nuff said about the quality of your allen key. Go get a Pedros or Park allen key and start again.

J--A--C--K

Likes Bikes
Unless you know what you're doing DO NOT use a drill if it get's striped , unless you're happy with having one less bolt. as most likely you wont be able to just put a new one in as said above.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Remove the crank, if you haven't already and hold it in a padded vice.
I'd try with an impact driver using a 5mm hex bit, even if the hex looks stripped completely.

Failing that.
Spray the bolt with Inox or WD40 like Danny B said and walk away for an hour or two.
Cut a slot in the head of the bolt with a hacksaw.
Use the impact driver with a large flat head bit to remove the bolt.

When doing up the chain ring bolts I use the weak Loctite to hold them secure.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
No bolt on a bicycle should ever be that tight that it would strip the actual tool that undoes it! Use the WD40 trick as suugested and while it is lubing your shaft you should get a good set of metric and imperial keys.

shakes

Likes Dirt
wd40/crc etc isnt an entire waste of time as it makes you feel better about what your doing. But does not a whole lot else.

Either a proper penetrene spray, or even a freezing spray will work alot better. Someone has overtightened them, causing the threads to stretch and bind together... Treat the chain ring with respect, they claim many an unwary knuckle.

And yes you need some good allen keys.

jeper5

Squid
Thanks for the help guys, will be travelling to the lbs shortly to purchase a decent set of allen keys to try again :D

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
went to the lbs and after the wanted wayyyy too much went to total tools and got a better set for about half the price
The bicycle industry is geared toward selling bikes and bike parts, the tool and hardware industry geared toward selling tools.

- Joel