Chainsaw advice....

MasterOfReality

After forever
Ok got myself down to stihl and husky shops to have a look. They all recommended 16 inch saws but said a 14 inch is fine but it only leaves you with the entry level saw which they didnt particulary like.

The first stihl store is 5 mins drive from my house. They recommended the MS 180 for $299.

The second store was a husky dealer but unknown to me is now a stihl dealer after dropping husky 2 weeks ago. Reason being a greater range in the Stihl lineup. They also recommended the MS 180 after I described what I needed to cut.

The third store finally was Husqvarna. Prob about 30 min drive from my place. They said go for the 130 for $349 ($100 price drop on sale) which is equivalent to the MS 181 (which they recommended) that is currently $449. This guy worked in a stihl store during the week and a husky store on Saturdays. He said whichever one will be good.

One last thing I noticed, the stihl miniboss saws are manufactured in the states, woodboss and up in Germany. The husky homeowner saws in China, the rest in Sweden. Any thoughts on a Chinese made saw? I do realise there are probably a lot of Chinese components in all of them anyway.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Sobering videos above .
Yep definitely got to study the physics of the situation if its not a straight forward fall. ie pivots ,overall weight of tree if you cut some off.
Never rush it and if its too hairy I just leave it or get a rope to pull it the way you want.
Where I live we are always cutting trees on slopes, mostly ones which have already fallen , so do the final cut standing on the slope above the tree.
Only cut down dead stuff as a favour if someone has no dry wood mid winter.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Ok got myself down to stihl and husky shops to have a look. They all recommended 16 inch saws but said a 14 inch is fine but it only leaves you with the entry level saw which they didnt particulary like.

The first stihl store is 5 mins drive from my house. They recommended the MS 180 for $299.

The second store was a husky dealer but unknown to me is now a stihl dealer after dropping husky 2 weeks ago. Reason being a greater range in the Stihl lineup. They also recommended the MS 180 after I described what I needed to cut.

The third store finally was Husqvarna. Prob about 30 min drive from my place. They said go for the 130 for $349 ($100 price drop on sale) which is equivalent to the MS 181 (which they recommended) that is currently $449. This guy worked in a stihl store during the week and a husky store on Saturdays. He said whichever one will be good.

One last thing I noticed, the stihl miniboss saws are manufactured in the states, woodboss and up in Germany. The husky homeowner saws in China, the rest in Sweden. Any thoughts on a Chinese made saw? I do realise there are probably a lot of Chinese components in all of them anyway.
They don't like the entry level saws because the margin on them is about $10...

However, that MS 180 for $299 is a good deal. The 181 is almost identical from memory but has a few toolless features that aren't always as durable.

The Husqvarna 130 at $349 is also a very good deal.

All the basic saws and their consumables are made in China...they just aren't always assembled there. But they are all designed and made to their pricetag. In other words...sod all difference.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Probably even w Stihl you get what you pay for . Some reviews on productreview arent very flattering for the MS 180 , of course the operators could be clueless and not know how to start a chainsaw without flooding it or how to clean a sparkplug.
Unfortunately even good brands can be dumbed down by competing on price.
Stihl use to last a lifetime.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Now considering ms 231 woodboss. Still 16 inch, reasonable bump in power and beefier chain. Looking around my bush, there is a fair bit to do. Business had been good this month and my tax return is looking better than expected. My local stihl dealer is keen to do a better price but that prob won't be much haha.

Whats the go with reasonable chaps. I get all my ride on/mower/brushcutter maintenance stuff from allmowerspares and they sell clogger brand from NZ.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Probably even w Stihl you get what you pay for . Some reviews on productreview arent very flattering for the MS 180 , of course the operators could be clueless and not know how to start a chainsaw without flooding it or how to clean a sparkplug.
Unfortunately even good brands can be dumbed down by competing on price.
Stihl use to last a lifetime.
Oh you definitely do. Our little MS170 is lightweight and harsh compared to the bigger Husqvarna 455 (from the early 90s) we also run. And yet it remains a very very useful saw that is far easier on my body than the 455. However, I'd give it just 2 or 3 seasons before I reckon I'll need to put a new cylinder and carbie into it!!

Targus19

Cannon Fodder

I have has some saws, namely a 19 year old Sthil 029super which is 56cc and finally died last year, a MS391 which is 62cc and it got run over, a McCullouch 3something...absolute POS and I now have a MS180 running the picco chain......it is a weapon, light and very easy to use, will get a big saw again a little later but the MS180 is fantastic.

moorey

call me Mia
I have has some saws, namely a 19 year old Sthil 029super which is 56cc and finally died last year, a MS391 which is 62cc and it got run over, a McCullouch 3something...absolute POS and I now have a MS180 running the picco chain......it is a weapon, light and very easy to use, will get a big saw again a little later but the MS180 is fantastic.
Pfft. Ran over my 390 numerous times.

moorey

call me Mia
Handy saw. 40 odd cc. Looks like some big trees, but if not lots of them, or not in a super hurry, it will be sweet.

Last edited: