Chainsaw advice....

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
OK, need advice of a slightly diff kind...First time chainsaw purchase.
We have a 4 acre block that currently has a few trees down over the fences. One of which is a decent sized lump of tree.
There's a lot of large gums around the perimeter so I see history repeating each year....

I know Stihl & Husqi are great products. I plan to check 'em out in-store. But both of 'em quickly go from affordable entry level to over a thousand bucks.
(I have heard that a Stihl chainsaw will last a very, very long time if looked after....)

I believe Makita make a good one too?

Is Echo any good?

I'm 6'3", strong (well, for a 40 y.o.!), I'm used to physical work so figure a 16" bar is the starting point? Should I go bigger?
Is 40cc to 50cc the sweet spot?

Being in the heart of an old logging empire, there is dozens of chainsaw retailers in Launceston, so I'll pick their brains too, but as always RB can prove to more than just a bunch of ramblings about riding bicycles on dirt ;-)

(oh....I think Moorebags just bought one too? Whaddyareckon' @moorey?)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Stihl or Husky, cannot go wrong in my opinion. 16" is plenty...

I had a Stihl farmboss and killed it after 20 odd years. Have a Husky 365 or something that is 10 years old and just like new. Keep the chains sharp, plenty of bar oil and don't lend it to your mates.

Oh and I am not 6'3", strong (aside from smell) or 40.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Stihl MS 180.
https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws/Homeowner-Chainsaws/2650-1571/MS-180.aspx
I've managed to cut everything comfortably that the bar length fits into. The key is to make sure you have fresh fuel, a perfect mixture for the oil and fuel and above all else, a freshly sharpened chain each new day you use it. To do that, treat yourself to mankind's greatest invention; the Stihl 2 in 1 file! You just clamp the bar into a vice and file the chain with ease, it really is the business.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
...I should also add. I haven't ruled out a battery powered saw....but there's no power at the block and it's a 10 minute drive back to our place.
I am, however, invested in the Makita 18v system....and they have a couple of cordless options....

Haakon

Keeps on digging
For shits and giggles I bought one of the Aldi chainsaws! Mostly because its a 4 stroke!!

Its nice having a chainsaw that starts first time every time! Torquey too. Will probably self destruct shortly, but the 4 stroke is interesting and effective in the meantime.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
E Go are apparently the ducks nuts for battery chainsaws. I've heard of professional aborists using them, they're a proper saw.

Aborists also like them for when they're clipping them to a belt hook and climbing trees - no having to starts a saw with one hand dangling a 100 feet off the ground!

marks

Likes Bikes
Stihl MS 180.
https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Products/Chainsaws/Homeowner-Chainsaws/2650-1571/MS-180.aspx
I've managed to cut everything comfortably that the bar length fits into. The key is to make sure you have fresh fuel, a perfect mixture for the oil and fuel and above all else, a freshly sharpened chain each new day you use it. To do that, treat yourself to mankind's greatest invention; the Stihl 2 in 1 file! You just clamp the bar into a vice and file the chain with ease, it really is the business.
I have this same chain saw. does everything that needs doing.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Don't get caught short, you want a Husqvarna 3120XP.
Then you'll go looking for things to have fun with and you'll have got your money's worth in a week.

But on a more serious note, the old man and I used to collect firewood each year by felling a few Ironbarks, and we'd generally carve them into blocks on site and then load them in the trailer for splitting later. If memory serves we used a Stihl 16" 35cc (i'll try get model number), and it made really quick work of it and it's been going strong for years. Mind you not super heavy usage, and good storage conditions too, but the Stihls have a good name for reliability, and certainly had no complaints using it over the years.
Jesus christ Zaf, that thing is a beast! Over 6Kw and a 28" bar! (outside yerr trousers)

• Haha
Reactions: Zaf

Freediver

I can go full Karen
No one has asked what you call a big tree. Life is a lot easier when the bar is longer than the diameter of the log. A saw that is to big is painful if you're using it all day.
I've got a couple, my fave is an old Tanaka that used to be my uncles. It's about 30 years old and still going. It's probably on about it's 5th bar and who knows how many chains.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I found these....
I'm not sure a chainsaw is a good pre-loved buy? But if Stihl/Husqi quality is as good as people say, maybe it's smart?

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Echo are worth a look. My dad has been in the forestry business pretty much all his life and always had huskys. His latest saw is a big echo and the thing is a beast. The echos are really reliable and really well made according to him. He has gone to echo for his brushcutter as well.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Always been a stihl man. Tried a husky this time, about to buy a still and sell Husky.
Something like a 391 would rock for you. Or you can jump the shark, with lighter yet more powerful in the 462.
Wouldn’t touch other brands personally.
My 390 has been abused and cuts 30-40mt a year. Bought new almost 20 years ago. Replaced oil pump, nothing else. Ran over it. Submerged it in deep puddle then left it sitting for 18 months, too lazy clean it up. Bought the reco’d husky 265xp to use in the interim. Was great, but preferred stihl. Scraped mud off the old 390, lubed it up. Went second pull. Can’t ask more than that.

About to buy the 462. Would love a 661 magnum. Overkill.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Also, a bigger saw with smaller bar is sweet if not cutting huge stuff. Increases usable power.