Chainsaw advice....

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Check and see the type of chain you have. It being a modern saw it will probably be fitted with a low profile chain. These are (supposedly) less prone to kickback, but have to work harder than a chisel tip chain. The chisel tips cut way faster, but you will need to sharpen more often.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Check and see the type of chain you have. It being a modern saw it will probably be fitted with a low profile chain. These are (supposedly) less prone to kickback, but have to work harder than a chisel tip chain. The chisel tips cut way faster, but you will need to sharpen more often.
Ah I see. I didn't ask 'em about it....but it is a brand new bar & chain.
I bought a fancy "idiot proof' sharpening file jig jobbie.
How long does a chain usually last for a non-professional wannabe-rancher like me?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Ah I see. I didn't ask 'em about it....but it is a brand new bar & chain.
I bought a fancy "idiot proof' sharpening file jig jobbie.
How long does a chain usually last for a non-professional wannabe-rancher like me?
As long as you are decent at sharpening, and don’t hit anything metal or run the chain through the dirt they last a long time. I cut around 4-5 tonnes of firewood a year, all hardwood and I get at least a couple of years out of a chain. It’s a good idea to have 2 chains and use one for dirty work (e.g. chopping up wood on the ground where you’ll likely hit dirt). Also if you are doing a big session on the saw switch chains every tank of fuel. They get hot in use and will dull faster as a consequence

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I’m not sure a hipster townie like you should be using a chaino. Stick to the lumberjack look in appearance only.
Karma is alive and well Moorey.
5 minutes after I posted a smartass comment about your beloved choice of bike I ran the saw thru some unseen mud and rocks that were embedded in an old stump and completely buggered the edge on the chain!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Karma is alive and well Moorey.
5 minutes after I posted a smartass comment about your beloved choice of bike I ran the saw thru some unseen mud and rocks that were embedded in an old stump and completely buggered the edge on the chain!

Couple of good strokes of the file, and she’ll be right, mate.

I’ve tried various sharpeners, electric and manual, and stihl (see what I did there) prefer one of these. Much quicker that removing the chain to sharpen, or swapping chains like mates do (keeping 6+ on hand. Cuss that)

One stroke every tank of fuel...takes 2 minutes total. Chains last longer than mates who remove a lot of material each using the grinder type, and I think it gives a better edge.
My2c.

moorey

call me Mia
@born-again-biker make sure you take a bit off the depth gauge link as the chain wears down. Won’t bite nicely if too high. Don’t take too much off though. There’s a cheap tool to get them right height.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Get the chop proof chaps or trousers, good gloves and eye and ear protection. Practice using the chain brake and always cut when you have firm footing and are balanced, keep your head back. If you drop start it I will get @Minlak to come down and sit on you. Dont be afraid of the saw but respect it. Keep observers away and dont lend it to my mate. Otherwise as you were. @moorey is spot on with the chain advice.

Minlak

custom titis
Get the chop proof chaps or trousers, good gloves and eye and ear protection. Practice using the chain brake and always cut when you have firm footing and are balanced, keep your head back. If you drop start it I will get @Minlak to come down and sit on you. Dont be afraid of the saw but respect it. Keep observers away and dont lend it to my mate. Otherwise as you were. @moorey is spot on with the chain advice.
This is even more funny as I have a scar on my forearm that took 32 stitches after putting a chainsaw into it...... lol

Lazmo

Old and hopeless

I’ve tried various sharpeners, electric and manual, and stihl (see what I did there) prefer one of these. Much quicker that removing the chain to sharpen, or swapping chains like mates do (keeping 6+ on hand. Cuss that)

One stroke every tank of fuel...takes 2 minutes total. Chains last longer than mates who remove a lot of material each using the grinder type, and I think it gives a better edge.
My2c. View attachment 351010
Yeah me too. I’ve had various groovy devices, but am back to a few strokes of the file every tank of fuel.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Well here she is!
Just bought this from the local Husqi dealer.

Really appreciate all the excellent advice given guys - as always RB forums punch well above their weight.
Am I mistaken? I thought the majority of expert advice was suggesting a Sthil
as the go to....

Last edited:

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

My2c. View attachment 351010
Noice.
Old mate in the shop pitched this one at me pretty hard (I reckon' he could smell a rookie so he figured I'd need the "idiot proof" sharpener?)

Takes a little setting up but seemed to work OK. It's made outta plastic & has a fair bit of flex & play to it.
See how it cuts later this week.

Cheers for the advice ;) Sometimes the simplest things (in the right hands) are the best huh....

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Am I mistaken? I thought the majority of expert advice was suggesting a Sthill
as the go to....
Yeah no doubt they were....but I kinda grouped Stihl & Husqi into the same choice in my mind. It seems they are both excellent & both have their fans. I quickly came to the conclusion it was Stihl / Husqi.....or.....the rest.

If the same deal for a good second-hand saw was offered in the Stihl dealer I woulda done the same y'know. But there wasn't any to be had.

Dales Cannon & Moorey both bought (or buying) Husqi after long term Stihl ownership which was taken on-board also.