Chainsaw advice....

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Just rename the forum Chainburn and we're covered regardless.

PS: @born-again-biker - I hope you're all over the "AU falcons doing incredible things" facebook page.
Haha.
Not long after I bought my glorious AU ute, a mate at work told me about that FB page.
So ugly, yet so incredible

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Sounds like a score Moorey on the new to you saw, best of all you didnt have to buy it from ‘that’ dealer.

If i could ask, slight change of topic but do any of you guys run a ride on mower? Whats the best value? Husky’s any good? Moving shortly and will have approx 1/4acre worth of grass to mow, thinking just a little one, but with a catcher. Or just get a new self propelled mower?

Travis.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Sounds like a score Moorey on the new to you saw, best of all you didnt have to buy it from ‘that’ dealer.

If i could ask, slight change of topic but do any of you guys run a ride on mower? Whats the best value? Husky’s any good? Moving shortly and will have approx 1/4acre worth of grass to mow, thinking just a little one, but with a catcher. Or just get a new self propelled mower?

Travis.
Just get one of these ya sook

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Just get one of these ya sook

Probably be more relyable given the number of not working second hand rideons for sale online, but im already moving another 15-20minutes further away from my ‘local’ trails so i need to score back some time somewhere!

I did think about welding some old forks onto my current 30odd year old briggs and stratton so i could hook up a mtb behind it, but its been on its last legs for the passed 13years. Thankfully all its had to do is mow the huge 4mX3m townhouse lawn.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
it's nice having a big chainsaw but for most jobs a good 16 or 18 inch at biggest will suffice.

When I had that tree come down and block access i got a mate (Who does lots of tree felling) come down with his 20-24 inch one (I can't remember exact size) to cut out a chunk of it so I could get easier access at least, but he also has one of those really big ass ones which iirc he said was 36-40 inches or something.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Probably be more relyable given the number of not working second hand rideons for sale online, but im already moving another 15-20minutes further away from my ‘local’ trails so i need to score back some time somewhere!

I did think about welding some old forks onto my current 30odd year old briggs and stratton so i could hook up a mtb behind it, but its been on its last legs for the passed 13years. Thankfully all its had to do is mow the huge 4mX3m townhouse lawn.
Ride-on mowers are silly money when you look at what they are. But I guess they're a niche.
If you're half handy at fixing things you could prolly save a ton buying a broken one that needs a few days spent on it....?

Travis22

Likes Dirt
I did ponder buying one that needed fixing up, then when i go searching for information re: model ‘x’ there seemed to be endless complaints and issues and thought i dont want to buy something that i need to spend time working on it with any sort of frequency ... Then again maybe a lot of the broken ones have had a pretty tough life, mowing paddocks etc maybe, or commercial use?

Was hoping for something in the 2-3k range, maybe a stretch more for a little husky etc, still pondering a self propelled mower but they arent cheap either, if the self propelled is say 1500 and a ride on 2000-2500 then i think the ride on could be worth it for the time saved?

Travis.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
We've got a little Rover Ride-on that's done a good job on our acre that's probably 2/3 grass over the last couple of years. It was somewhere around $2200 from the local Stihl Shop

John U

MTB Precision
Hi Burners,
As it is here I'm after some chainsaw advice. This thread has told me 'must go Stihl"

I need it for
Camping (this weekend, nothing like leaving it until the last minute)
Just getting into 4wding, so potentially a bit of track clearing
Occasional gathering of wood for use in a portable fire box in the backyard (maybe a small trailer load)
From my completely clueless investigation I've narrowed it down to these. Same fella for all 3 saws. He is local to me.
Stihl MS260
Stihl MS260c

or this Shindaiwa is a possibility

Complete overkill for my purposes? I've used a chainsaw a few times down on the farm but it always a matter of handing it back to the old man when I was finished. I've never owned or maintained one.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

moorey

call me Mia
I’ve never owned a 260 or 260c, but people I know who have, have been less than stoked with them. Generally, stihl are bombproof, and idiot proof...at least I can’t kill them...but that model I can’t vouch for.
As far as maintaining one, sweet FA is needed. Very occasional air filter clean (assuming it’s air injected, like most decent saws). Good 2stroke oil, keep the bar oil full. My 18yo 391 has had one plug change, one oil pump replaced, and that’s literally it. I use the cuss outta it. (Ballarat weather, only wood heating, cut all my own). Never even had or needed new rings. Goes like a top, power-a-plenty still, and compression is fine. (This is the one I submerged in 2 foot of slurry, assumed I’d killed it, shelved it covered in mud for 18 months, cleaned off, lubed, fresh fuel, and away she went. Still oddly prefer it to my 440 magnum for some reason...maybe sentimentality).
The shindiawa are meant to go ok. NFI on longevity and parts. For slightly less, why risk it?
Those stihl prices aren’t great. I paid about that for my 440 in great nick. You don’t need something that big, but I reckon you can do better than those. Maybe something midsize in the 3 series?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Hi Burners,
As it is here I'm after some chainsaw advice. This thread has told me 'must go Stihl"

I need it for
Camping (this weekend, nothing like leaving it until the last minute)
Just getting into 4wding, so potentially a bit of track clearing
Occasional gathering of wood for use in a portable fire box in the backyard (maybe a small trailer load)
From my completely clueless investigation I've narrowed it down to these. Same fella for all 3 saws. He is local to me.
Stihl MS260
Stihl MS260c

or this Shindaiwa is a possibility

Complete overkill for my purposes? I've used a chainsaw a few times down on the farm but it always a matter of handing it back to the old man when I was finished. I've never owned or maintained one.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Honestly...those 260's are great saws and those particular ones are relatively late models...but they are overkill for your needs.

We run two saws. An old Husqvarna with an 18" bar and oodles of power and a Stihl MS180 with a 14" bar which set us back just $245 brand new only last October. The Husq is heavy and hard to handle for anything other than cross cutting and I've barely used it in the last 12 months... except on the bigger logs.

The Stihl has been in constant work since the day we got it. So much so that the original chain is nearly cactus (Ironbark and Bloodwood are high silica timbers!). For just $245...it's a bargain.

Only needed an air filter in that time plus a decent amount of bar oil. I use the Stihl bar oil and the mid level (green) Stihl 2 stroke oil. Only mix up a litre of fuel at a time and that's about it.

Keeping the chain sharp minimises the load on the motor I reckon and I've been suckered in by the Stihl all in one hand file things because now I don't have to get the missus to sharpen the chain properly as an alternative to my impatient swiping.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I’m no expert on various models, and have never owned a big banger, but worth taking into account the size of the saw if you’re going to be packing it for camping.

As per @silentbutdeadly I have a 14” huski which I originally purchased new for camping around the Vic HC for 4 weeks. Nice and compact and light, perfect for camping. Has also performed well above it’s pay grade removing numerous trees from my last two house yards also.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
For trail work and for track clearing at work, I carry an MS231 and a 193t.
The 193 is my go to saw for almost anything!

That being said, new Stihl saws aren't as robust as their early 2000-10 counterparts.

For large logs we go back to the depot for one of the larger saws but don't bother carrying them around.

If looking at used saws, you want to look at the wear on the bar and star nut and check how easily it starts and how well the engine runs at max noise.
Make sure that you can see the bar oil feeding by holding the nose near the ground as seeing if it draws an oil line on the ground.
After running, remove the chain cover.
Steer clear of anything which spits oil everywhere.

Always carry 2 chains and the right files.
Know how to keep your chain sharp.
A couple of wedges are always handy too.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Keeping the chain sharp minimises the load on the motor I reckon and I've been suckered in by the Stihl all in one hand file things because now I don't have to get the missus to sharpen the chain properly as an alternative to my impatient swiping.
Those all in one sharpeners will half your chain life.
Our department has binned them.
Anyone seen using one cops it

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have Echo , 2 x Stihl and Husqvana they are all good but different. Huskys rev fast.
Stihl bought in 1984 and bit hard to start and heavy with aluminium instead of plastic but stihl goes well never had any repairs!!!
Chain must be sharp , sharpened when it starts to labour and kept out of the dirt.
Use plenty of oil in the 2 stroke. You dont need a big saw to cut well.
Dont buy a cheap Chinese brand , used good brands keep their value.
My old Stihl is prolly worth now, what I paid for it in 1984.

moorey

call me Mia
100% on keeping a sharp chain. 2 minute sharpening every tank (or immediately of it touches dirt) will save you 5x as much cutting time, lots of fuel, and won’t need to work engine hard pushing the bar in. A good sharp chain will almost cut as fast under its own weight as forcing it.
I only ever use a simple hand file. 5x faster and easier than swapping chains, IMHO. One swipe per tooth, done right, is way faster.
That said, I always carry a spare chain....and a spare saw, incase I have a brain fart and get one stuck in a big log or tree I’m dropping.

Don’t forget to file down the height of the guides as the teeth wear down.

safreek

Well, I have gone against every thing I always say about petrol driven tools, as in buy quality.
I have a huge gum in the front and back if the house, the rear tree basically covers the whole back yard, limbs need to go.
I have purchased a giantz brand pole saw, I need the thing for the one lot if jobs in 1 day.
Around $140 for a 5 metre reach, what could possibly go wrong.
Yeah I know it's cheap rubbish but if it cuts 10 or 12 limbs I will be happy.
Please await review, it may be humorous. It should arrive on Friday so Monday is chop chop day.
Screenshot_2019-06-05-09-54-56-99.png