Change Sram to Shimano drivetrain.

Currently have Sram GX 1x11 driveline and because the Cassette and rear mech is toast I want to change over to Shimano.
Why ? Because Sram stuff is harder to come by more expensive and fewer options imo.

Is it Possible to change the XD driver for a Shimano Driver ?

I've done it on a set of wheels I bought.
Works fine.
Don't take my word as gospel however
As an aside, the XD driver won't fit on the hub I took the Shimano driver from.
But that's not an issue anyway.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe, depends on the hub and if manufacturer made it in a few variations. E.g. DT hubs are POP for availability of diff drivers and ease of driver change. What's your bike & rear hub?

I just changed from shimano to xd driver myself.

Maybe, depends on the hub and if manufacturer made it in a few variations. E.g. DT hubs are POP for availability of diff drivers and ease of driver change. What's your bike & rear hub?

I just changed from shimano to xd driver myself.
It's a Sram brand hub.

Just a lot of realy realy steep riding of late and a 28t - 42t aint cutting it up the pinches. Best cassette option I could get would be the E13 trs with a 44t.

Be good to go the option of a 46t or even a 50t on the rear and bring back some top end with a 30 or 32t chainring.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you need a new cassette anyway, and aren't fussed about big gear jumps, get the Shimano XT 11-46 ($105 from Pushys). Ring around a few LBS's to get the freehub body, I've only seen the XD bodies separate for the sram hubs, but they should be an easy swap.

rgy1993

Likes Dirt
If I were you I would combine best of both worlds and get another SRAM cassete while switching to a Shimano Dee and Shifter. You get a slightly bigger gear range and a clutch mech that doesn't suck + the ability to smash down 2 gears at a time :first:

There's no issue with running a SRAM cassete with a Shimano shifter as the teeth are all in the same spot. 10T vs 11T makes a decent difference at the top end of your range, whilst the bottom (42t) remains the same.

edit:
I just read some of the above replies and see you're finding 28 / 42 ratio not low enough. In which case, maybe the Sunrace 11-46t (better ratio jumps than the shimano one imo) or the Shark 50t expander cog for a Shimano 11-42t cassette might be the better option.

Last edited:
Shits me the price and availability of the sram stuff.

eg: Sram GX rear mech and GX cassette $350

Shimano XT rear mech, chain, shifter, cable and Cassette $300

It's a wonder I want to change and save some $'s every time a cassette or something else needs replacing. Plus there are a heap of aftermarket options with gears and price points on consumables like cassettes.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ding ding ding. That's what I did, never used the 46 on the xt, and now have a 10t, and saved 155g in the process, despite SRAM cassette being an all steel affair.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Be good to go the option of a 46t or even a 50t on the rear and bring back some top end with a 30 or 32t chainring.
The shimano 11-46 is actually a similar overall range to SRAM 10-42. So if you size up chainring to match you'll probably gain nothing.

I thought about doing it too because the SRAM X01 on my mtb is overpriced fragile junk that shifts worse than the old shimano sora on my commuter, but yea no real range gain to be had by going shimano 11-46+upsized chainring.

Cheap GX cassettes on ebay are the go IMO.

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Shits me the price and availability of the sram stuff.

eg: Sram GX rear mech and GX cassette $350

Shimano XT rear mech, chain, shifter, cable and Cassette $300

It's a wonder I want to change and save some $'s every time a cassette or something else needs replacing. Plus there are a heap of aftermarket options with gears and price points on consumables like cassettes.
GX rear mech, chain, shifter, cable and cassette for about AU$310 delivered from bike-components.de:
https://www.bike-components.de/en/SRAM/GX-1x11-speed-Upgrade-Kit-p47245/ EUR192.44
Delivery 20 Euro, total about 212 Euro. Exchange rate of about 0.684AU per Euro through Paypal (includes currency conversion fee).

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
GX rear mech, chain, shifter, cable and cassette for about AU$310 delivered from bike-components.de:
https://www.bike-components.de/en/SRAM/GX-1x11-speed-Upgrade-Kit-p47245/ EUR192.44
Delivery 20 Euro, total about 212 Euro. Exchange rate of about 0.684AU per Euro through Paypal (includes currency conversion fee).
Not bad.

But If I had to replace my SRAM mech as well I'd probably be tempted by XT mech and XTR shifter combo, and run it on the cheapest GX cassette.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Go 2x...

Take all that unsprung weight off the rear wheel and put it back on the frame where it doesn't matter.

More range, better shifting. Cheaper parts.

I personally think 1x is dumb as dogshit.

moorey

call me Mia
Go 2x...

Take all that unsprung weight off the rear wheel and put it back on the frame where it doesn't matter.

There's 3 kinds of horse shit right there. I still love you though.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Go 2x...

There's 3 kinds of horse shit right there. I still love you though.
3x is the ultimate.... range with a decent mid-range. 2x blows the mid-range all over the shop. 1x either blows the ends of the range off, or blows big holes in the middle.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Back to the original, there should be a standard freewheel body option available for the wheel; pretty much all manufacturers except Shimano offer both XD and standard options.

Unlike other lesser-geared series, at MTB 11-sp. level Shimano & SRAM shifters & derailleurs play perfectly well together, so it's not necessary to change shifter if chucking a Shimano derailleur into the mix. Chains & cassettes have always been interchangeable.