Changing fork travel 130 to 140mm

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,
I am contemplating bumping up my fork from 130-140mm it’s a 2016 fox performance 34.. It’s a bit of stuffing around changing the airshaft so I though I would ask for some advice before bothering.
The fork is on an intense spider 29c which is more at the xc end of trail than enduro.. The spider comes standard at 130 each end, for anyone who has ridden one they are a very capable bike (opposed to just looking at geo numbers) and I’m finding that I am hitting stuff that uses the 130mm on the front on most proper trail rides. I have added a volume spacer which has stopped un-necessary bottoming out and diving. Now i’m bottoming out the suspension on drops and jumps I would expect to use all 130mm of travel. (I’m 95kg)
Recently I rode the all mountain at thredbo and I definitely felt a bit more squish on the front would help keeping the bike going where I wanted it to go..
So I am wondering if adding 10mm of travel will make enough difference to warrant the change.. The bike is a great peddler and I want to keep that as much as possible. Will putting a 10mm longer fork stuff the the geo up to much? I am concerned that I trying to make this bike do more than it’s really intended.. It’s a lightweight trail bike afterall..
Thanks in advance..

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
IMHO 10 mm is not much advantage for the effort.
Obviously it tilts the bike back a fraction when climbing steep stuff.
For Thredbo etc did you consider either bigger tyres or more pressure in the fork.
I have 2.5 in tyres for the rocky or tecnical stuff.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Maybe try another volume spacer to further boost the compression ratio, which will give it a bit more support deep in the stroke to resist bottoming out.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For Thredbo etc did you consider either bigger tyres or more pressure in the fork.
I have 2.5 in tyres for the rocky or tecnical stuff.
Yeah I had a hans damph on the front which isn’t far off a 2.5 bag.. More pressure in the fork made it to harsh with small bumps.. Having said that I didn’t have an extra volume spacer in when riding there.

Maybe try another volume spacer to further boost the compression ratio, which will give it a bit more support deep in the stroke to resist bottoming out.
I do have another spacer I reckon that’s a good idea Duckmeister.. The “js tuned” (ie vpp) suspension is very active so the bike really sits in it’s travel. Probably why it’s easy to bottom out when not a feather weight..

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
If the extra volume spacer doesn't sold your issues and you don't mind spending a bit of coin I'd highly recommend fitting an SD Components Dynamic Volume Chamber. Best to check with them if it's in stock though, it says in stock on the products page, but on the actual unit page it says Feb preorder which I suspect they've just not changed yet.

Anyway I ride a Primer with a 140mm Pike fork, and like you are on the full bodied size (close to 100kg kitted). With the pressure low enough for acceptable small bump compliance I found the fork too dive-y, and it blew through it's travel too readily, or the alternative was sore hands from all the trail chatter. With the DV chamber, the fork performs out of sight better on the trail

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Id vote for extending the fork the extra 10mm, just do it when the fork is due for its minor service (50hrs?) so your removing the lowers anyways etc...

Certainly play with volume spacers, costs nothing to experiement if you already have some but i think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the slightly increased travel if/ when you do it.

Travis.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the input guys..
Will chuck a spacer in next ride and see how it goes.

Travis22, only just did the forks they are once a year now with fox.. Will go the spacer option and see if i’m happy with the feel..

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Shouldn't change things too much from a HA perspective. I took my 34's from 140 to 150 (27.5) and notice the improvement in the burlier stuff..... but I do have factories and also run a fair bit of LSC to keep them higher in the travel through berms etc.

Install of a different length shaft is piss easy.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Changed my '17 Fox 34 from 130 to 140 on my trailbike. I think it's an improvement.
Slightly better ride and more traction.

I have a 275c spider with 2016 fox performance elite fox 34s. I changed from the stock 130 to 150 travel. It made a positive difference that was worthwhile as it wasn't quite so harsh at the normal ride height. The new air shaft was the 2017 evol, so this may have the source of some the improvement.
The bike still climbed ok so I say do it