Charles Darwin N.P

Paradox

Likes Bikes
FINALLY!

Yes people, I finally managed to get out to Charles Darwin and take a look around with a few mates from work. I have to say I was pretty impressed with what we found but I'm sure there is plenty more secreted away in there aswell. More exploring is definately in order.

The track we found is the NFSC track I believe (not 100% on this and rest easy knowing we didn't damage anything!) as it is across the back, you cross a small creek with blue tape on trees either side... pretty vague but someone here will know what I'm saying.

Overall it was awesome- we were down there for about three hours non-stop riding and I had a ball. Although, after so long spent on firetrails, this was my first single track experience and its obvious I've got some work to do! No doubt next time I'll be quicker and more confident because heading out with only two hours sleep was a problem. Some parts were quite tricky and I had to walk the bike but for the most part it wasn't too bad.

I have to admit- after heading out and having a bit of a play around I'm kind of surprised there isn't more talk about it on these forums... seems like a pretty decent set up to me. Maybe those in the know just want to hold onto their little secret:cool:

Thanks for the heads up guys and once I'm not such an embarrassment I'll definately be looking at joining in some group rides.

Last edited:

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
Or it could be because it's a national park and therefore probably illegal to ride/cut new trails.... Glad you found a top riding spot, hope your skills and love of the sport keep improving. Just be careful what you say on here....

Feel free to shoot me down if I'm wrong about the legal state of the track.. I'm used to it.

Last edited:

Paradox

Likes Bikes
Nah- thats a good call. But I doubt I said anything there that would incriminate anybody... no locations, no names of builders, not even any notice of whether it was a natural trail or not. There's big pigs up here you know ;)

tojo

Likes Bikes
top stuff! Winellie Singletracks rock. Makes me want to get organised and go riding there myself.....

Paradox

Likes Bikes
I'm going to try and make it out there twice a week minimum... I thought I would have fared a bit better than I did.

One question though- being new to all this- that track seemed awfully narrow compared to ones I have seen in pictures. Would this relate to the difficulty of the track and if so can someone give me an indication as to what the difficulty rating would be for it?

tojo

Likes Bikes
It's just typical darwin singletrack. It's wide enough to ride a mountainbike on and i guess thats as wide as singletrack needs to be. I guess it's difficulty depends on your skill level. Other than that i have no idea how trail ratings are worked out.

Paradox

Likes Bikes
No worries.

This weekend was for working on the car so I haven't got back there yet. Next week is currently in pencil but by wednesday I'd say I've made my mind up to definately hit it up again.