Chasing and facing a new BB shell

Building my first new bike, I've had the BBs out of both my ancient bikes but now I read of "chasing and facing: the BB shell of my new frame (painted frame)

I was really hoping to keep this bike from the LBS and was planning to DIY the headset install, no way I'm buying the tools to do the BB shell (already have the "socket")

I understand that paint has a thickness, and I will check it for elephant snot dribbles but is chasing and facing the BB shell overkill or worth doing ?

Note: I will be installing a SRAM GXP ceramic bearing BB.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Refacing BB's is a thing of the past, the quality and accuracy of frames is a lot better than it was years ago. You might want to scrape the paint off with a blade but with the sort of BBs around these days it barely makes a difference.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Chasing and facing is an investment in your bike. You do it once and it should minimise bb problems later.

If your pressfit bb is out of spec (and a lot of them are) it will allow you to identify and fix the problem early.

If you have a bsa bb it ensures that the threads will be burr free and the shell face will be smooth allowing a solid lock up to the bb cup.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Binaural

Eats Squid
It won't do you any harm but probably won't do you any harm either. Unless it's a steel frame, in which case you might be encouraging rust in that area.

I guess I'll screw the cups in and if they feel crunchy and don't go in real nice it'll be off to the LBS

Dunno what will fill that empty frame shaped space in my bed though

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess I'll screw the cups in and if they feel crunchy and don't go in real nice it'll be off to the LBS

Dunno what will fill that empty frame shaped space in my bed though
Don't replace it with another frame. The original will get jealous and your BB will creak forever more.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Frame manufacturers will generally advise against facing, on the grounds that it will affect tolerances, and it has to be said that all the frames I've built up have been pretty good. However I have met some pretty rough threads, so I would always run the taps through a threaded shell.