Chickenpox

nathanm

Eats Squid
So despite vaccinations Chickenpox is doIng the rounds in Tassie.
We had one kid with it last week and the other 2 have it now.

I've never had it and feel doomed to a severe case of shingles. Anyone have any tips to remain virus free?

Otherwise just wish me luck.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click

Apparently 2 doses are needed to be 90% effective. There is no info on the time frame between doses, some vaccinations can be 2 weeks, others 4 weeks or more between doses for best efficacy.

I really should get vaccinated, I've never had chickenpox either.

Other than get vaccinated, steer clear of anybody you know to have it. It's difficult to do so with kids in the schools where the virus is doing the rounds though. Good luck.

Minlak

custom titis

Apparently 2 doses are needed to be 90% effective. There is no info on the time frame between doses, some vaccinations can be 2 weeks, others 4 weeks or more between doses for best efficacy.

I really should get vaccinated, I've never had chickenpox either.
Yeah the normal vaccination program for a child for the last 50 yrs :)

moorey

call me Mia
My uncle had shingles a couple months back.... had no idea there was a vaccine.

Definitely recommend especially if you've never had.

Get vaccine.... get car... put bike on car... drive to middle of nowhere TAS with trails.... ride bike for month..... after 14 days tell wife where you are.
Shingles and adult CP are horrific. My bro had it. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Well, not many.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
So despite vaccinations Chickenpox is doIng the rounds in Tassie.
We had one kid with it last week and the other 2 have it now.

I've never had it and feel doomed to a severe case of shingles. Anyone have any tips to remain virus free?

Otherwise just wish me luck.
I wish you all the luck in the world. Gotta say though that given you have been exposed for over a week now, and have never had the pox before, unless you live in house with positive pressure rooms and you have been PPE'ing up the wazoo, and/or you have a highly evolved immune system Khan style out of Star Trek Into Darkness then I reckon it's in the post...

nathanm

Eats Squid
I wish you all the luck in the world. Gotta say though that given you have been exposed for over a week now, and have never had the pox before, unless you live in house with positive pressure rooms and you have been PPE'ing up the wazoo, and/or you have a highly evolved immune system Khan style out of Star Trek Into Darkness then I reckon it's in the post...
So true. If I dont get it im handing myself over to medical science.
Problem is Jayne has a kick ass virus as well, and has damaged a cartilage coughing so I'm nursing her as well atm.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Shingles and adult CP are horrific. My bro had it. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Well, not many.
Damn, I got it when I was thirty. That was a surprise and I had the vaccination when I was a kid too. You can catch all sorts of manky things from little kids.

A very itchy but just do not scratch it whatever do for two weeks. It is not fun to live in a bath either but it sure eases the situation.
Creates a load of amusement for your friends but no one will come to visit you either.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We used to have Chickenpox parties, one kids gets it, parents take their kids to visit... everyone's had it at a young age, the old way of herd immunity.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
You can catch all sorts of manky things from little kids.
Got HFM from some manky child a while back. Luckily wasn't too bad for me but my hand looked like I was turning into Deadpool..
And the sores under the hard skin on my feet hurt like fuck especially once the skin started falling off... seriously wtf.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I had chicken pox and was in hospital for two nights over the summer holidays in 2019.

Most fucked up pain ever. Like being wrapped in steel wool and fibreglass insulation bats. The skin lesions were everywhere, including down my throat. Could not swallow

I’m was in the infections disease ward, before it was a thing. They had never used the room I was in at the Anglis.

Doctor walks in to see me the first time, while laughing, says “oh matey you’re fucked, that’s the worst chicken pox I’ve seen on an adult in a long time as an ED doctor”

He then leaves, brings back another doctor who’s apologising as he laughs. They concur on a course of treatment.

You can get chicken pox multiple times, there is more then one strain.

Zostavax has tga approval. It’s got shitty effectiveness and is only available to those 50yo or more. 51% effectiveness for Zostervax.

GSK’s more effective Shingrix is tga approved but GSK is struggling to manufacture and supply has just started to turn up in Australia. Not on the pbs either I believe. $450-500 for the two shots. 97% effective for Shingrix. 50 plus only approval.

Under 50 in aus and you’ve had an adult case of chicken pox, you’re fucked.