Child trailers for single track

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Sadly all of our early indoctrination has come to naught. My (now) toddler is just not that interested in riding bikes or trikes. Sure he loves spinning the wheels and pedals, but he is mightily unimpressed if you put him on his trike. Sigh.

We now have a repco trailer so I can take him to playgroup. On the weekend I was at Stromlo and I took him for a spin on the easy single track in the trailer. The trailer performed well - some of the uphills were a bit tricky as the contraption weighs a tonne! But overall, there was not problem getting around the corners.

However Alex did not look like he enjoyed the experience, so I am not sure I'll be doing it again. :(

I just hope he does not turn out to like cricket...

cammas

Seamstress
I took my granddaughter out last weekend in our trailer to the You Yangs and she loved it, lots of faster Pa or bridge and bumps. For me it was a good work out and helped me keep my wheels on the ground as I am not to jump or that yet due to surgery (4 more weeks but who's counting), she is nearly 3 had her sipee cup with her and some bickies then slept all the way home. Was a good day for both of us.image.jpg

Cypher

Likes Dirt
cammas: you are a good man :)

I took my little man (nearly 2) for a spin on the wee-rider and he loved it (as evidenced below).

He much prefers the wee-rider to the trailer. He can see all the action and (unhelpfully) grab both the handle bars and the breaks as desired. Luckily he is not strong enough to actually depress the breaks all the way - just enough to make the uphills a little harder.

The wee-rider is not the best designed contraption. It is a pain to attach to your bike and take off. The screws in particular are poorly located so that it is difficult to use your multi-tool (they are too fat to do a full revolution without hitting the side of the bar).

Also as I use a women's frame there is not a lot of space on the top tube. The child's seat is rammed up against my bike seat so that there is space for the forks to turn (which is why my little man can reach my handle bars). This makes going on single track a little tricky as I don't have enough space to get out of my seat to pedal. I have an extra small bike!

Overall it is better riding single track with the wee-rider than the trailer. Alex has a limit of 4km on the wee-rider (before he gets bored and wants down), but probably more in the trailer (although this is probably because I can't see him and too busy enjoying my ride).

IMG_20130728_113915-1.jpg

mapomatic

Likes Bikes
Hi Julie, it's Martin, we used to work together. How old was your bub before they started on the weeride? My boy's seven months now, wondering whether to try him on the trailer first.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Hi Martin! Probably close to 1 year I think (its all a bit blurry now!). And that was in the trailer. You'll want to have good head stability - even on footpaths and bike paths there are a lot of bumps and jolts and their heads are massive weights! I think we could have gone younger, but it just didn't work out that way

Plus the poor blighters have to sit down for the entire thing, so there are a lot of jolts. You don't realise how often you unweight the seat when riding! Even on the road. I know because when riding with the wee-rider I can't get off the seat - there is no room. There are a lot of bumps!

When I ride single track with Alex it is painfully slow and I choose the smoothest line possible - I want him to enjoy the experience (although he seems to like riding his trike off steps so maybe I'm being unnecssarily easy on him). That said, we have rolled over jumps and trees and done small rock garden descents. A bit of a bumpy ride is not bad :) Just not an unrelenting one.

I recommend a dually with the wee-rider as it smooths out the bumps. Also maybe a thin cushion under the tush

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Just posted this in a different thread.
20ks of single track @ You Yangs and plenty of smiles.
Good day out on the bike with the whole family.

SS 2wd mixed pair.JPG

Cheers.
MH

Jay Taylor

Likes Bikes
As much as I love this concept, I have enough trouble keeping myself upright let alone trying to strap 10 kilos of wriggling 8 month old to myself and giving it a crack. I think Daddy needs faaaaar more practice and fitness before undertaking this adventure.