Children's bike, component and accessories questions

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my daughter, who is about to turn 7 years old, some equipment to make her riding more safe and enjoyable and need some advice.

Crash Protection
  • Any suggestions for elbow and knee pads that aren't hideously expensive?
  • What's your favourite children's crash helmet? One that fits? She has a Kmart Barbie one for school runs but it's not really MTB suitable.

Pedals
  • I'm looking at DMR V6 (Pink) - I'm sure I saw these recommended for children, are they a decent size for small feet?

Feel free to use this thread for all children related bike, component and accessories questions :)

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
going to be quite a challenge to pedal with the full elbow/knee ensemble.. not sure if neoprene pads come in jnr sizes, but would be better than those hard plastic skate style pads that little kids seem to wear.
MTB suitable helmet for a 7yo is a tough one, as you want something not heavy but also something strong and not crap like all the themed ones for sale in the likes of Kmart and BigW

moorey

call me Mia
My kids liked the youth G-Form when they were younger. Felt less bulky.
Any kids helmet that doesn’t have these stupid Mohawks or rubber spikes....but a plain, dignified helmet FTW.
pedals....do they have to be pink?

moorey

call me Mia
She really wants pink!
He’s the perfect demographic for Spesh/Giant/Trek....Shrink and pink for the ladies.
Quinn also liked pink back then, but thankfully was happy with a plain pink helmet. There’s some half decent pedals that aren’t badly priced in pink on eBay...I’ll try to recall what they were.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G-Form for pads.

For pedals I have used Wellgo KC001 and KC008. Bought off eBay, can usually find a bunch of colours. Were much harder to find recently though due to covid I guess

Helmet we had a Giro something or other. Decent, trail style helmet.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My 2 rode rode and raced XC with the black plastic pedals until they went clip-ins.

moorey

call me Mia
That's why the V6 pedals appeal
You guys are going about this all wrong.....people slip and whack a shin a pedal BECAUSE of shitty plastic pins. Kids are no different to big people.
It took my daughter a couple of slips of her pretty plastic pedals and a move to grippier pins to be convinced of thei.