Chin Guard - where do you carry it?

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking about buying a helmet with a removable chin guard, like a Giro Switchblade.
So for those of you who have one already, when the guard is removed, where do you carry it?
I don't really want to always have to carry my camelback/backpack. And I don't like the idea of crashing onto my back while the chin guard is strapped there.
Does anyone fix it to their handlebars? Or somehow fix it inside the front triangle??

BT180

Max Pfaff
Don't have one myself, but a mate of mine just hangs it off his bars when climbing. I reckon the helmets should have some sort of clipping/hanging mechanism at the back of the helmet, so that the guards can be stashed up there. Although that may feel weird from a weight perspective.

moorey

call me Mia
Anywhere you’re riding that needs a convertible helmet, surely needs a decent sized backpack....

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I have just purchased one and was thinking the same thing myself.

I don't generally ride with a pack either, just a "bumbag" I was thinking I might just hang the chinguard off the side but the thought of have an off with it just sitting on my hip doesn't really appeal.

I will report back after the w/e on findings.

moorey

call me Mia
The guard is only off on the climbs...if you’re crashing then, you’re doing it wrong. I have a small USWE pack that the guard straps on. I don’t even notice it.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
The guard is only off on the climbs...if you’re crashing then, you’re doing it wrong.
Correct, climbing is not my fortè, I have been known loop out on some of the steeper pinch climbs around me.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
The guard is only off on the climbs...if you’re crashing then, you’re doing it wrong. I have a small USWE pack that the guard straps on. I don’t even notice it.
Only half agree - sure most of the time I don't fall off on a climb or easy bit of trail.

But I've seen plenty of crashes where someone was just riding along - only a month ago a mate was cruising along up to me at walking pace on some totally flat trail, and his pedal hit a root that was hidden beneath some leaves - bike stopped dead and he flipped over the bars. Landed flat on his back. Luckily he was fine, but had there been a chin guard strapped to his back, different story maybe?

moorey

call me Mia
Or maybe no difference. More risk trying to carry on handlebars.
Leave it attached, take it off and carry it, wear a full FF or wear an open face.
There’s your options as I see it. All have pros and cons.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a Bell Super 3r and recently got a Proframe. I am primarily using the Proframe for shuttle days, but have worn it a couple of times up at Red Hill to see how it goes. It is a much nicer helmet to ride in, with the chinbar attached, than the Bell and, apart from the cheek pads, you can hardly tell you are wearing a full face. Might be a better idea than a helmet with a removable chin bar, if you have nowhere to carry it.

teK--

Eats Squid
I have a Bell Super 3r and recently got a Proframe. I am primarily using the Proframe for shuttle days, but have worn it a couple of times up at Red Hill to see how it goes. It is a much nicer helmet to ride in, with the chinbar attached, than the Bell and, apart from the cheek pads, you can hardly tell you are wearing a full face. Might be a better idea than a helmet with a removable chin bar, if you have nowhere to carry it.

I never took the chin piece off on my 2R. If it was too hot I just too the whole helmet off for the climbs. Now with a Proframe I hardly ever have to take it off.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I pondered one of those Giro Switchblades after a nasty sky ground chin meet ground crash once.

I remember reading that the chin guards weren't too strong anyhow and could snap if it hit the ground in an impact. I bought a Remedy instead but rarely wear it though.

The removable chin guard is a good concept and all but NFI how well it would really work in those shit eating moments.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
I thought the the removable chin guard was a neat idea when I bought it.
But not once have I taken the chin guard off except the day I received it and played around with it.
Either the helmet just stays on on the ups or it comes off when it’s hot on those fire road climbs.

If I’m riding cruisey single track I just take my old trusty non chin guard helmet.

So next helmet I will just buy a proper fixed chin guard like the pro frame or similar.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Better than no chin guard at all....
Well, maybe, as long as it doesn't shear off leaving sharp bits pointed your way.

Could argue that if it snaps on impact then it has absorbed some of the energy that would have been gravel kissing.

Only if Oakley brought back the Star Wars face mask.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
@Jpez Mine pays for itself at hot Enduro races. 90 minute, 650m constant climb between stages 4 and 5 at Falls Creek Sunday was nicer with guard off.
Some days on the Tranznz would have been unbearable without it. Really long multiple climbs each day, and descents you wouldn’t do without FF.
That said, I far prefer my regular FF on shuttling days and regular open face on trail rides.

No one makes a flip top lid ? I had one as a motorbike helmet, was great on long hot rides, when I got to the 50km/h zones in country zones it was a nice break

slowmick

38-39"
I bought one so i could convert it at home not on the trail, means i can have open face for lysterfiled and full face for shuttles. never considered changing it mid ride. sounds like a good plan for pedal up enduros though.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I've got a Bell Super 2R. It makes a reasonable trail helmet with the chinbar off, but when the chinbar is on, it mucks up the chinstrap & buckle position, IMO.
I was going to get a Bell super DH, but there have apparently been problems reported with the magnetic clip/buckle.
Next helmet will be a Giro Switchblade. The latches that lock the chinbar on look stronger, and the chinstrap looks stronger and more comfortable.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I have a 3R and when I have wanted to take the chinbar off I hung it from my shoulder strap on my camelback. If I didn't have the camelback on I am not sure what I would do.

I dont find the 3R to be a particularly cool openface helmet but I have been grateful for its sturdy build in some reasonable crashes. I also don't find it a particularly stable helmet in openface mode it is much nicer to wear as a fullface. Might be my head shape coupled with lack of hair. (My bell roadie helmet is super comfy...)

I think I will grab a more xc orientated open face for the longer more pedally outings some time this year..... mainly because I am running out of smaller apreciable things to buy for my bike.

Jpez

Down on the left!
@Jpez Mine pays for itself at hot Enduro races. 90 minute, 650m constant climb between stages 4 and 5 at Falls Creek Sunday was nicer with guard off.
Some days on the Tranznz would have been unbearable without it. Really long multiple climbs each day, and descents you wouldn’t do without FF.
That said, I far prefer my regular FF on shuttling days and regular open face on trail rides.
Yeah I need to get out more. Not much call for a helmet spinning up cressy fireroad every weekend.