China import/shipping/port fee help

Plow King

Little bit.
Hows it going guys.

I was hoping someone could chime in and help me out. Basically I have recieved a quote for importing a number of car parts from China which I am happy with. The shipping from china to the Melbourne port is $480... which is fine but it does not include any of the duty or other fees associated. .. the value of the goods in total is around 2k. I can get them delivered to my door for 1100 which includes all associated fees.

Im just not sure of the port fees? From what I have read they add up pretty quickly and all the import guides are verh vague.

If anyone has experience with tbis it would be great

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I've freighted bikes internationally (arrived via a port on a pallet) and from memory the two big things were:

10% GST on cost of parts+freight+customs fees, so add $248. Although I got charged significantly less than the 10%. It seems this is kind of a black magic cost.

Use of a customs agent (unless you want to dick around with paper work and figure out how the system works), add $150

It was also a total pain in the ass to do. It took far longer than it should have because nobody answered calls, paperwork seemed to vanish into mid air and nobody knew where anything was. You may have better experiences than me depending on who you freight with. I would use freight again, but be aware of the comparative chaos you may be walking in to. Does the $1100 include GST?

Plow King

Little bit.
The cost of the goods is only aroind 1.8k which are coming in 2 seperate shipments. Even if im taxed $180 im not too worried.

The problem d

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Are they new? if not, can you prove otherwise? different car parts will come under different sub sections and can attractive a different percentage of fee ( eg. frame's get taxed at a different rate to other bike parts.) if they open it and want to get nasty they can..

Assuming their country of origin is China?

Stamp duty is circa 5% which will you pay on top.

Plow King

Little bit.
Sorry I had to quit mid post. Lol

Yes they're new. Thr problem is they're quite bulky. I might just stick to home delivery :)