China trip

scblack

Leucocholic
Guys, I am spending the first week of January in China for work. Fly in New Years day (Sunday), fly out 8pm 8th Jan (Sunday). I am based in Shanghai at the Crowne Plaza Century Park and will be visiting Suzhou one day during the week. I am working the week with one of my American colleagues, so will have to spend some time with her.

Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th are free of work commitments.

So, I've not been to China before so I have no idea what to expect. Any tips?

I am not going to check out the local KFC or Pizza Hut. I want to experience the local culture as much as possible.
  • What food should I try? What food should I avoid?
  • Where is good to eat near Century Park?
  • What can I easily get to near Century Park to check out during the week?
  • In Shanghai on the Saturday and Sunday what is worth checking out?
  • What else is worth doing? Cost is not an issue - what is worth getting to?

Cheers.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Guys, I am spending the first week of January in China for work. Fly in New Years day (Sunday), fly out 8pm 8th Jan (Sunday). I am based in Shanghai at the Crowne Plaza Century Park and will be visiting Suzhou one day during the week. I am working the week with one of my American colleagues, so will have to spend some time with her.

Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th are free of work commitments.

So, I've not been to China before so I have no idea what to expect. Any tips?

I am not going to check out the local KFC or Pizza Hut. I want to experience the local culture as much as possible.
  • What food should I try? What food should I avoid?
  • Where is good to eat near Century Park?
  • What can I easily get to near Century Park to check out during the week?
  • In Shanghai on the Saturday and Sunday what is worth checking out?
  • What else is worth doing? Cost is not an issue - what is worth getting to?

Cheers.
Ever been to Asia before?

What food should I try? What food should I avoid? Try the street food. Avoid unsealed cold drinks or anything washed with water that hasn't been cooked.
Where is good to eat near Century Park? See above
What can I easily get to near Century Park to check out during the week? No idea as I've never been, but TripAdvisor has more than you can poke an old lady at.
In Shanghai on the Saturday and Sunday what is worth checking out? The Buddhas golden glove.
What else is worth doing? Cost is not an issue - what is worth getting to? Puppet shows.

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
Avoid "Chinese steak". I'm sure you can figure out what that is. I just got back from a work trip to China myself, had a blast

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I pretty much just ate and drank my way through Shanghai.
Sounds like my last visit there. You could do a lot worse than following this itinerary.

Shanghai is an awesome town.

Go exploring around the French Concession, a pocket full of colonial architecture with tiny bars & restaurants tucked away everywhere.
Frock up & hit the Bund one night (you may want to reconsider your definition of "cost is not an issue" here).
Ride the Maglev back & forth to the airport until you get your head around the speed.
If you have the kids take them to the Barbie shop, 6 floors of pink kid's crap, with a bar on the roof as a reward for Dad for making it that far.

My Mrs was there a few weeks back, I'll ask if she has anything specific to add as she gets taken around to some very local spots by colleagues each trip.