Chinese Carbon 29er

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
OK.. which Rotorburnian is going to the first to take the plunge and get a Chinese Carbon 29er frame, built it, and write a review. There are some lengthy threads on MTBR about this, and given that bikes (especially carbon 29er) are ungawdly overpriced in Australia it seems like the like it's worth a shot.

Something like this: http://www.gotobike.com.cn/gs_detail.asp?id=501154&nowmenuid=500006&previd=500027

Or this: http://www.e-hongfu-bikes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=274

I don't really need one, but I have to admit I'm tempted. No real need to discuss the similarities/differences to Niner and Specialized, it's been beaten to death on MTBR. I'm not too keen on BB30 and tapered headtubes, it makes it all too damn complicated. Maybe I'll give one of their cyclocross frames a try, it's only $500....

scblack

Leucocholic
I don't think the frame should have any great problems, or cause any real issues in the build. A couple of guys on Rotorburn have built up roadies that are chinese carbon ones.

Their quality seems to be good.

I am part way through my build of a Chinarello. All looking excellent so far.

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
It's hard extracting the ETT length on these frames, or the HT angle. I'd hate for them to be a very slack head angle w/ slow steering. Also, it doesn't say what travel fork they should run, I would assume it's 100mm based on the frames they closely resemble, but it's not really something I want to get wrong without doing my homework.

The frames on Ebay have a standard BB which would be nice since I have plenty of outboard bearing cranksets, and a 1 1/8 headtube, again another plus if moving parts over from another bike. The BB30, and tapered headtube... blah.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Let us all know how it goes.

I've heard many horror stories about the headset cutouts being egg shaped or similar.
Seat tubes having rough carbon and
bottom brackets holes being too large, not threaded well etc

I guess like anything it comes down to the manufacturer and business like the above would guarantee very short term business...

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Yeah i'd be interested to hear of any actual experiences with these frames.

i was extrememly tempted by this one:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carbon-M...4818174?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item3a66eb947e

Which looks great - nice shape/design, nicely curved top-tube to seat stays, has all the bits like tapered HT, post mount rear brakes and even that little strut between the chainstay and seatstay on the braking side so you'd assume it's a quality design - but there's no geo listed anywhere and you just can't tell...

DiscoDan

Likes Bikes
I can't comment on the 29ers but I certainly can on the 26ers. I put a cheap ebay carbon frame on my XTC at Christmas and couldn't be happier. The frame was through Cycling Deal in Melbourne, was dirt cheap and the customer service has been great (I bent a RD hanger and they had a replacement in the mail that day for free)

The quality is good and there's nothing I could fault apart from the supplied headset & seatpost clamp being a bit nasty. Everything swung across from the XTC in 3 hrs of works, nothing new required at all

I've given it a good workover with a couple or 24hr and 100km events as well as rougher bashing around the local trails. I'm 80kg and can hit bumps pretty hard and it's stood up very well to the abuse.

I've been watching the 29er thread over on MTBR and I think one of those will be my next bike, there's certainly nothing to be scared of with the ebay frames

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
there's certainly nothing to be scared of with the ebay frames
couldn't agree more. I too have a chinese carbon 26er i use as a commuter. it's been a great performer all round.

I'm tempted to sell off the frame, wheels + forks and go the 29er route to see what all the fuss is about.

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
I'm getting a hi-viz Camelbak and some Shy Shorts too. Ford Explorer too much?

- Joel
I think a Subaru Outback/Liberty would be more appropriate. Hey, Emily Batty drives one.

I still remember the days when you were a steel retrogrouch spouting the merits of 26" Reynolds 853, and now you're on the composite 29er bandwagon! How times change. Weren't you getting a Jet or a Spearfish or something?

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
I think a Subaru Outback/Liberty would be more appropriate. Hey, Emily Batty drives one.

I still remember the days when you were a steel retrogrouch spouting the merits of 26" Reynolds 853, and now you're on the composite 29er bandwagon! How times change. Weren't you getting a Jet or a Spearfish or something?
Now you're just trying to embarrass me. Are we doing the angry doctor again? My EA found this great B and B.

- Joel

Nath8

Likes Dirt
My Hong-Fu carbon 29er is due to be sent today. I'll take some photos when in arrives and let you know how it all goes.
Have you ordered one with a bb30 bb, or normal bb? Did you have an option on what weave carbon you'd like? The hong Fu frames look good and review well on mtbr. I'm keen to hear your thoughts once it's built up. Cheers.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Have you ordered one with a bb30 bb, or normal bb? Did you have an option on what weave carbon you'd like? The hong Fu frames look good and review well on mtbr. I'm keen to hear your thoughts once it's built up. Cheers.
I second that. Pics and weight before build? What size?

- Joel

I'm looking at getting one of the LT-bikes ones with a BB30 and tapered head tube and internal brake/gear. Painted matte black, I believe it will be a bit under 500 when it arrives at my door. Plan is to convert it to singlespeed using a bb30 ebb or 1x9/10. I will post pictures if this ends up becoming reality :p

crash bandicoot

Likes Dirt
carbon frames for under $500, you get what you pay for. We had 2 chinese carbon frames in at work for building up this week.
Road frame had oval steerer tube on the forks, couldn't fit the headset properly, also had badly machined bearing seats in the frame, headset bearings wouldn't sit straight, and even more disturbing, bottom bracket inserts weren't straight.
The mtb frame had chainstays and seatstays not parallel with each other, about 8mm out, nasty.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lately, I have been SERIOUSLY considering getting one of these frames. The look so damn good.

Here is the previous ebay carbon bike I built up.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?149945-Carbon-Goodness

There was a link on one of the chinese manufacturers website of some actual strength tests, and impact tests lately. Have a search on MTBR for it...

Granted there is no warranty. etc with these frames, but i am willing to bet that they are over built, not built to crack sub 900g like some major manufacturers.The 26'er I built up was a great bike, but the top tube was slightly too short for me.

Personally, I think the frames look awesome, and so what if they "look" like other manufacturers frames !

I recently took a chinese 4WD for a test drive, and the salesman stated that "copyright means copy,right?"Ie:find a good product and copy it ! This is true with most chinese products, as copyright doesnt mean a great deal .....

For the amount of forum coverage these frames get, I have seen few failures. As opposed to other brands which retail for a lot more, and are generally seen as "premium brands". One of those brands is a banner add as I write this !!!! That same brand is the one that I would love to paint my new 29er in a similar, but not identical scheme !

edit...666 posts !!!! yeah !

Last edited:

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
Normal BB. There are options on carbon weave (12k) and matte or gloss finish. I'll post a pic & weight when it arrives