Choosing the correct saddle bum ouchy

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Specialized Phenom in 143mm width for me. Cutout, relatively short nose which isn’t too wide and a slight curve at the back. I’ve been running them on my road bikes and mountain bikes for a long time now and find them more comfortable than any other saddle I’ve tried.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Hey guys I'm starting to struggle with long rides, my tush is getting so sore after about an hour it hurts to sit down which ends up with me ending my ride short. Any recommendations on a good trail/enduro seat I understand everyone has a different size behind just thought I would ask if anyones had similar problem or do I just have a delicate ass. Not sure if the angle of the seat makes any difference?Originally I had the ride alpha seat then changed to wtb Silverado and that made no difference. Cheers
Worth a watch about saddles

Scotty675

Cable thief
Saddles are like arseholes, you know were I'm going with that. I think the more you ride the more seasoned the arse gets though. I've ran many selle Italia gel flights as they are a good fit for me. This morning I put 4.5 hours on a WTB Silverado and my back gave up before I had a chance to get sore.
Bit of hit and miss with the choice but saddle time helps more than anything.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Saddles with channels like the WTB Rocket V and SDG Bel Airs are comfortable for me.

The Selle Italia SMP are also great once adjusted correctly. I rarely get sore on that one at all.
I have Selle SMP (lite 209) on everything except the Endurobro Bike, which has a SDG Bel Air.

saddle Height, tilt, saddle width, shape, arse anatomy & kms on the bike all have a bearing on what works for you.
you may need to try a few different ones.

Last edited:

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I'd been complaining about my seat for a while and changed over to a WTB on Friday that came off a bike I passed on years ago. I had it sitting there for ages thinking it looked comfy but too fat. Did about 30km on it on Friday and my arse smiled the whole way.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I have to angle the nose down more than I used to, to prevent numb tackle. Puts more pressure on my arse, but lesser of 2 evils. Seems no to cause any other issues.
View attachment 363459
isn't there a version of this with your head popping out of the gap between buttocks and the edge of the toilet seat?

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
I use WTB pure on all my bikes now but went through a lot of seats to find these as the ones I want. The other thing with a sore ass is sometimes your ass and the seat need some time to get to know each other and settle in. Its also the first thing to go when you stop riding for a few weeks.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I have Selle SMP (lite 209) on everything except the Endurobro Bike, which has a SDG Bel Air.

saddle Height, tilt, saddle width, shape, arse anatomy & kms on the bike all have a bearing on what works for you.
you may need to try a few different ones.
We have similar arse structure by the sound of it.

Agree on all of the above. Minor tilts and slides can make a big difference. Being methodical and writing down how many cm or degrees you move the saddle helps.

I found tilting the nose having a big effect on getting numb hands. That rotation must in turn move your hips and shoulders to alter the pressure on your wrists.

Once you get it nailed. Write it down and don't mess with it :)

cammas

Seamstress
I found the biggest thing is to measure your arse in particular your sit bones, if your arse is boney, sit on a piece of corrugated cardboard and measure the centre points of the indents or if you are like me and have some junk in the trunk try this.
Get a firm chair timber is great, spray a light mist of water on it then place a bit of paper towel down, sit on it gently then stand up you should have two wet spots, mark the centre of them then measure it, this is the minimum width you should use.
This made the biggest difference for me as what I thought was good turned out to be too narrow, I now run a WTB pure V in 146mm width and have no problem doing 6-8hrs now.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don’t know whether there is actually any legitimate science behind it, but Fizik used to market their saddles shapes which differed based upon flexibility. It was something to do with pelvis rotation.

I used to ride an Arione and Gobi which were both pretty flat. I never found either particularly comfortable.

I’m horrifically inflexible and found a saddle with more of a curve much better. Swapped to an Alliante on the road bike, and a Fabric Scoop Radius on the mountain bike and haven’t been happier.

The Fabric in particular is worth a look - it’s cheap as chips, dura me and comfy as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I’m horrifically inflexible and found a saddle with more of a curve much better. Swapped to an Alliante on the road bike, and a Fabric Scoop Radius on the mountain bike and haven’t been happier.
As a side note, anyone tried one of these mesh saddles like the Tioga ones here? There are plenty of Chinese knockoffs of these out there too.
I've read good reviews but can see it might be love it or hate kind of thing arse grating jokes aside.

https://www.tiogausa.com/spyder-outland.html

moorey

call me Mia
Have considered. Reminds me of the seat on my boomer BMX in about ‘79....but not rock hard. Wouldn’t mind trying, even the knock offs that keep popping up on my IG feed.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Have considered. Reminds me of the seat on my boomer BMX in about ‘79....but not rock hard. Wouldn’t mind trying, even the knock offs that keep popping up on my IG feed.
My southern area would like to give it a try too.

I remember how hard those Kashimax BMX saddles used to be. You just don't care when you are a kid. Crash the bike and saddle is usually fine for another day. None of this 'padding' nanciness.

moorey

call me Mia
My southern area would like to give it a try too.

I remember how hard those Kashimax BMX saddles used to be. You just don't care when you are a kid. Crash the bike and saddle is usually fine for another day. None of this 'padding' nanciness.
And who ever sat down on a BMX? Seat was just to save you a pole axing. Literally.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
And who ever sat down on a BMX? Seat was just to save you a pole axing. Literally.
Too ext33m3 d00d. My generously proportioned butt has touched down on the saddle many times. This is probably why I've gotten used to having a higher saddle without droppers and all of that.

Not the new school ones where the saddle sits onto of the seat clamp and never moves any higher.