Chris King Hubs

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I am days away from maybe purchasing a chris king rear hub, what i want is to know anybody who has used them, reliabilty, performance and longevity?..i dont want an opinion of any other brand, just want your opinion if you have used them or know of somebody who has, price i know is up there but that is not a factor, are they easy to pull down and adjust pre-load?
I am going to be using them for mainly all mountain type riding, techy type stuff, they will be going on an 2011 stumpy evo!
Thanks

Knut

Troll hunter
I have King hubs, HS and BB. The lag eventually gets better. After your first service, the hub rolls better again. The engagement is very good, so for tech riding, they are the bomb. I would not have another hub after King. Well designed and strong.

Vedsy

Likes Dirt
Hey Knut, how long did you find yours lag for? I've just built my first ever set of wheels, used king iso hubs. Just finished a week of riding them to and from work every day, so have roughly 125k's on em. The front feels mint, rear has some noticeable drag still. Obviously I'll have to tinker with the bearing preload but wanted to make sure they're worn in properly before making the final adjustment.

Sorry OP, bit of a hijack :eek:hwell: will report back once I have some proper k's on em but so far I'm stoked

Knut

Troll hunter
No, I don't think it is a hijack. Good point to bring up. It is something that King Hubs suffer from customers, or riders of customers bikes, unaware of the solution. I serviced my hubs about half a season of Enduro pairs and Club racing. They were still performing well. Not sure of hours or kays, sorry. I was just doing a service on my bike and gave the hubs a good talking to. I noticed the lag after riding my spare SLR's.

So after correct preload and servicing technique (downloaded of the King site) I was away.The roll really nice now. Thye Angry Bee is still there too.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I've had my CK hub since mid 08, I have never done a full service with the hub tool and it still runs as good as the day I got it. I've got the 150 x 12, 36hole. Pretty much every ride I go on involves at least one rock garden... hehehe.. so the thing's copped a pounding over the years. These things runs sooo smooth n are really easy to maintain. The bearing pre-load is really easy to adjust, you can do it without taking off the wheel, and to clean, you just take off the bearing pre-load cap n the axle & drive shell just pulls apart. I do this about once every year or so, pull it apart, wash it out with dishwashing liquid & baby bottle brush, then flush it out with WD 40 and finally put in some CK ring drive lube (in previous years I used to stuff in any kind of light grease I had lying around). I didn't really notice (or maybe forgot) any break-in period... maybe back then it was more like ......... rocks....drop.....more rocks...jump...hehehe

A little while ago, I thought I had killed the hub, but it was my cassette that died. Anyhow, I emailed CK and they passed me onto these guys for parts. www.aspirevelotech.com If you haven't bought your hub yet n don't know about these guys, check out the site. Prices are good, options are huge n free shipping for hubs worldwide.

The biggest problems with these hubs is that they stay so good for so long I can't talk the Mrs round to letting me upgrade..... :(

rone

Eats Squid
Have owned Kings and Hadleys. With flagrant disregard for the OPs wishes, I will weigh in with my view that Hadleys are a superior hub. Equal to King quality, but without the maintenence requirements and cheaper.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Vedsy and Rone, thats cool, hadleys i did have as next option, and wanting to know what people thought of them is what i want, also thanks for that website, will check it out, servicing is not a problem, i do everything myself anyhow, thanks for the replies!