AM Chriso's bike for fun

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So this is my Trance! Not the most glamorous PYR lol, but hope you enjoy anyway.

Plan to keep the tread updated if/when any changes take place. But for the moment it has just been fantasic in every way I could imagine. So remains stock as it rolled out of the shop, but has got me through most of the fun trails east side of Melbourne.

Cheers,
Chriso

Frame – Giant Trance 2 2018, 140mm travel
Rear shock – Fox Float Performance
Front shock/fork – Fox Rhythm 34, 150mm travel
Handlebars – Giant Connect Trail
Stem – Giant Connect
Headset - FSA
Grips – WTB Moto X
Saddle – Giant Contact, Neutral
Seatpost – PNW Loam 150mm Dropper
Front brake – Shimano SLX M7000
Rear brake - Shimano SLX M7000
Cranks - Shimano SLX 1X M7000
Chainguide - Giant
Chain – Shimano SLX
Pedals – Shimano XT clipless / Blackspire Sub-Four Flats
Front derailleur – N/A
Rear derailleur - Shimano M8000 XT
Front shifter – N/A
Rear shifter - Shimano M8000 XT
Cassette – Shimano XT 11 speed 11 - 46
Front hub – Sun Ringle
Rear hub – Sun Ringle
Front rim – Sun Ringle Duroc 35
Rear rim – Sun Ringle Duroc 35
Spokes – Sun Ringle straight pull
Nipples - Brass
Tyres – Maxxis DHF 27.5 x 2.5, 3C Max Terra EXO TR
Tubes - Tubeless
Total weight – 14kg

Glamour shot :)

Out on the trails

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
If you don't mind me asking, where are the trails in the pics (if they are public/not secret). I've been riding the XC bike a bit mroe recently but most of the stuff I've found is a bit dull. At least you seem to have found some jumps and rocks! Which is more than I've encountered..

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi mate, nothing secret there. All mainstream trails.

First trail pic is the view from the top of cathedral trail in Buxton MTB park.
2nd pic is from a section of of the Commonweath games circuit at Lysterfield park.
Jump pic is the largest of 3 gap jumps on the flow trail decent of Cathedral Trail, Buxton MTB park.

Kangaroo family was also in Lysterfield park, Hug trail.
Last pic is the top of True Grit trail, Silvan side of Mt Dandenong.

I have logged most of these trails on YouTube, feel free to take look to see the full trails POV.

Mash up of lots of different trails from my videos.

Cheers,
Chriso

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Ha ha, yeah. Maybe it should be called the 'Rotorburn Rune'
Fun fact. At Green Valley yesterday I saw a single Giant -a Reign. There were more Devinci Spartans and YT Tuesdays, let alone the hordes of Specialized Enduros.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Nice. Trances are so boutique around here. Banshees on the other hand.

Far out. You deserve BOTM just for that gap.

Wait, enduro’s at an enduro clinic?

Don’t they know they should be on stumpy’s.......

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fun fact. At Green Valley yesterday I saw a single Giant -a Reign. There were more Devinci Spartans and YT Tuesdays, let alone the hordes of Specialized Enduros.

I don't see many out in the more obscure trails, but they are everywhere at places like Lysterfield park.
Couple of rides back I rode up to a couple of blokes stopped on the trail, noticed he had the same bike as me. Said nice bike as a bit of a joke and he turns around and pointed out his buddys bike which was the 2019 blacked out version of the same thing lol.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bloody hell, front and REAR High Rollers sure havent held you back on that thing! Now i feel even slower ;)

Travis.
Cheers mate,
Actually been pretty happy with the tyres so far, but what are peoples rear suggestions for my type of riding? Whats the concerns with the HR on the rear, grip going down or rolling on the flats/up?
Seems HR2 is popular for the front. But might check out the Minions once cooked.

Are we riding any of the same trails?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Cheers mate,
Actually been pretty happy with the tyres so far, but what are peoples rear suggestions for my type of riding? Whats the concerns with the HR on the rear, grip going down or rolling on the flats/up?
Seems HR2 is popular for the front. But might check out the Minions once cooked.

Are we riding any of the same trails?
They're usually a bit of a draggy tyre on the rear but if they work well for you why change, I think you're proving how much over biked most people are.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Hey Chris, yeh i ride many of the same places as you, i wouldnt personally run such beefy tires at most of them. If you have the legs for it (which you clearly do!) the HR2 is fine on the back for anything but personally after one ride with it on the back i felt like i was dragging an anchor behind me! Awesome pointed down, horrible going up.

Id much prefer the Minion SS or DHR2, but it really depens where your riding, ive been known to change tires daily for different locations. This year tho ive prettly much got it down to two combos. F/R Ardent Race 2.35’s and Minion DHF and DHR2 2.5/2.4’s (both on wider rims).

Prior to that (narrower rims) id always preferred the Schwalbe tires, Burts/Ralphs/Nics but thats strictly XC riding. Much lighter, faster rolling but they wear out 10 times quicker.

Travis.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the advice mate, will certainly be looking into it closely as time goes on. But happy enough for the moment.

My other bike runs Icons, it's a weapon around places like Lysty. But a little more tyre is needed up in the hills.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're usually a bit of a draggy tyre on the rear but if they work well for you why change, I think you're proving how much over biked most people are.
Thanks mate, I was actually very close to going full enduro. But to be honest probably would have been just a little bit too much for 90% of my riding. The Trance has proven to be the perfect all rounder for me at this stage.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Thanks mate, I was actually very close to going full enduro. But to be honest probably would have been just a little bit too much for 90% of my riding. The Trance has proven to be the perfect all rounder for me at this stage.
Shhhhh, trances are a quiet achiever. Sing its praises too loudly and people will stop buying banshee’s

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
You would have needed to find a lot bigger gap jumps if you went full enduro ;). The Trances are a pretty good all round bike.