AM Chriso's bike for fun

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@Chriso_29er How do you find the fit of the proframe helmet? I'm between L and XL 60-61cm head measurement. A bit impossible to go to a shop to try one on at the mo in Vic...
Hi mate,

The proframe has been great, just gets a little warm in hotter weather. But got to expect that.
Fits me very well, I ran Fox motorcross helmets for years so I gauged the sizing off those. I'm running the thinner padding in a size small shell.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There has been a hell of a lot of talk about tyres. My advice; you don’t need tyres when you’re in the air, which seems to be most of the time. Maybe lose the tyres completely and save a chunk of weight. :p
It still needs to go around corners every now and then haha.

Thanks for the recommendations on the Dissector for the rear gents, have had a bit of a look and seems like a good option for me.

teK--

Eats Squid
There has been a hell of a lot of talk about tyres. My advice; you don’t need tyres when you’re in the air, which seems to be most of the time. Maybe lose the tyres completely and save a chunk of weight. :p
What goes up must come down though!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Next upgrade done, This time out of necessity haha.
Front rim had a large bubble in the sticker which seems to be holding sealant in the rim haha. Must have split open the rim join some how.
Rear I broke the hub/axle a while back so the driver will no longer stay on the wheel.

Picked up some cheap Sun Ringle Duroc 35.
Seem to be quite nice so far with a couple of rides on them. They're 31mm internal with a 35mm external width. They seem to suit the 2.4in wide tyres very well.
I've already been able to drop out 2psi from my usual pressures front and rear. But have not had any real test on my local trails for comparison yet.

Otherwise still really enjoying this bike. Has taken me to a few more new spots to ride and snuck in a quick race as well.

Cheers,
Chriso

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, you got the suspension repaired, bled the brakes, and installed new wheels - and then you installed some commuter-spec flat pedals? :eek:

Just wasn't sketchy enough for you with everything working correctly was it? :p
Haha, I rode #Barrytheburnerbike with flats which got me flats curious again lol.
Chucked these things on I had lying in the shed for a go to see if I liked it, pulled a PB down one of the locals in sketchy conditions :eek:
Clips are back on now, but think I'll have to get a nice pair and some shoes at some stage haha.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Latest little changes and upgrades on this bike.

Flat pedal experiment continued through lock-down on some less demanding rides around the local skills trail. Really enjoyed it.
@beeb then kindly offered some Blackspire Sub-Fours he had lying around. They're now on this bike and found them perfect out on the trails last weekend.
Last Sunday while I was out, my long suffering original Giant dropper finally gave up and got stuck in the low position.
Luckily, I had already ordered a PNW Loam the week before and arrived today in time for fitting before the long weekend.
Also got a Wolftooth dropper remote with I-spec 2 bracket to keep the cockpit nice and tidy.

Also finally got some proper rides in on the Sun Ringle Duroc 35's.
Not sure if the flat pedals or the wheels but managed 3 PB's down the local trails first ride after lockdown.
Also managed a pretty massive case lol, and the rear wheel is still running straight! So far so good.

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally settled on some tyres to move away from the HR2.
Went with Maxxis DHF both front and rear in 2.5in EXO 3C Max Terra flavor.
Decided to try this on the rear rather than the DHR for the moment given reports it may be slightly better rolling even though heavier, and I like to put in some bigger rides on this bike. Great reviews of both for the front as well so again just wanted to try DHF first.

Will get their first real test this weekend at a race based on mostly hard clay. Will see what happens. Forecast is for dry conditions so far, but it is Melbourne spring lol.

New dropper and wheels going great,put some big rides on them in the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Latest little changes and upgrades on this bike.

Flat pedal experiment continued through lock-down on some less demanding rides around the local skills trail. Really enjoyed it.
@beeb then kindly offered some Blackspire Sub-Fours he had lying around. They're now on this bike and found them perfect out on the trails last weekend.
Last Sunday while I was out, my long suffering original Giant dropper finally gave up and got stuck in the low position.
Luckily, I had already ordered a PNW Loam the week before and arrived today in time for fitting before the long weekend.
Also got a Wolftooth dropper remote with I-spec 2 bracket to keep the cockpit nice and tidy.

View attachment 380631View attachment 380632

Also finally got some proper rides in on the Sun Ringle Duroc 35's.
Not sure if the flat pedals or the wheels but managed 3 PB's down the local trails first ride after lockdown.
Also managed a pretty massive case lol, and the rear wheel is still running straight! So far so good.

View attachment 380633
looks like halfway down Zoom? How crazy is the tree felling there...

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks like halfway down Zoom? How crazy is the tree felling there...
Yeah that is on the climb back up twisted sister, next to Zoom.
That side of the mountain is pretty good now. But I was out the other side near Lyre Lyre last week and the top half of that is still needing a lot of work! JJ's is also almost cleared and has had a nice little extension put on it down the bottom.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ride review using the DHF both front and rear, pretty happy so far!

Raced the Hux at Bux on the weekend and having the DHF on the front instantly felt awesome on the fine hard pack and sometimes loose clay trails.
But what surprised me most was the rear. Grip levels seemed almost identical to the front which allowed perfect transition from grip to slide, resulting in some nicely controlled two wheel drifts.
I didn't feel the weight of them and seemed to roll very well. I didn't notice any lack of grip from the rear under brakes as reported by some others, but were not riding overly steep or challenging trail conditions.

Managed to come in 3rd in my older farts group lol, so all in all very happy.
Full video of the race here if anyone is interested.
Now can't wait to get the bike out on the local trails to see how it goes.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update time!
But nothing on the bike, its still the same haha

DHF's going well in the dryer conditions before winter.
Did the Silvan Superflow and managed to get 3rd back in April, before heading off to the Mount Taylor trails in East Gippsland for another Superflow event where I managed 4th.

PNW dropper has been flawless, haven't had to touch it yet. But might get it apart for a bit of maintenance soon.

Cheap Sun Ringle wheels have now done over 1000km. Still running ok but are starting to show signs of the MTB life. Pinged the front pretty bad on a sharp rock at Mt Taylor which has put a dint in the bead. Still holding air ok though. Had a couple of rear spokes come loose but have been fine once tightened up again. They're surviving some pretty heavy hits better than I expected.

Still enjoying the bike in general, but starting to find its limits on some of my rides. Starting to feel a N+1 coming on again haha, its been 4 years since I've had a new bike. Maybe a long travel 29er needs to join the fleet :)