Chrome Rims

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey,

Quiick Q, are chrome rims more likely to peel off and rust etc. I was told this by a trusted LBS, and they told me to stick with black. Also, does the "hard anodized" surface of a black Odyssey 7-Ka have equal power to an equivilant chrome??

Cheers,

Will

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would go chrome better braking surface. But I've never heard of chrome rusting and peeling off guess it would if the bike was left outside in the rain all the time though

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, weather isnt going to be a factor, I always keep my bike inside and never ride in the wet.

user name

Likes Dirt
Chrome rims will give better braking in almost all conditions.
Chrome rims are made by lightly plateing the aluminnium rim then chromeing it, without the copper the chrome woulnt stick to the rims surface. As for rusting this is impossible because aluminnium doesn't rust.

I recently invested in a Odessey Hazard rear wheel and its sick!! Siiick Chromies maattte!!:D :D

wombat

Lives in a hole
Hey,

Quiick Q, are chrome rims more likely to peel off and rust etc. I was told this by a trusted LBS, and they told me to stick with black. Also, does the "hard anodized" surface of a black Odyssey 7-Ka have equal power to an equivilant chrome??

Cheers,

Will
I have seen the chrome finish on some rims flake, and there's no doubt that it does wear to some extent.

Having said that, keeping to black ano. because of this is pretty silly IMO, if it's a rim that is going to see braking duties.

The bite generated by a chrome rim is head and shoulders above a black anodized finish (hard or not). If you really need to have a black rim then maybe consider something like the Hazard Lite Duralectra rim, but otherwise just run a good quality chrome.

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK, but would the rim surface "flaking" be covered under warranty on a Hazard Lite wheel??

Oh, and this sounds like a good deal for $200AUS (yes, I have converted properly) Hazard Lite Rear Wheel

Has anyone come across problems with these hubs/rims??

Cheers,

Will

I've Never Heard of Any Odyssey rim flaking.

I have Pretty Much the same hub (Just slightly different in shape being a tuffneck, same internals as Odyssey) And Havn't had a single problem with it yet. It still runs as smooth as the day i got it now and that day was a good 6months ago. It did skip a bit in the first two months but then i cleaned the pawls out and its been amazing ever since.

As for rims I have never had one. But if you take care of them (Like keep your spokes tight and keep it true) they will last you years, and your money will be well spent.

Chrome all the way though buddo:)

hasko_norco69

Likes Bikes
rim flakin

ive seen odyssey, alex, sun rims and atom lab rims flake. all it takes is for the chrome to be scratched n water get in then n it starts to peel all ova eventually.

always on 1

Banned
i have a crome back rim and i have a small chip i got it wet once or twice hope it dosent peal. anyway crome works well but u have 2 keep the rim and pads clean.
ps: ur brakes wont work if ur pads or rim are wet.

hasko_norco69

Likes Bikes
well i have a pair of supras n wen they get wet i get no brake response at all so dont ride in puddles or on moist grounds u will not stop n its dangerous!!!

user name

Likes Dirt
the reason behind the chrome flaking is corosion underneath it, between the chrome/copper and the alloy rim;)

Jared

Yeti Cycles
ive also had a chrome rhyno lite flake on me, not cool, not to mention the braking surface....while it was definatly more powerful than the normal machined sidewall rim, it was very unpredictable, it made me crash more than once from being too powerful in spots and slamming the front wheel down if i tapped the brake while manualling.

so personally, im staying away from chrome rims in future

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay, I dont want what happened to Jared happen to me, Odyssey have pretty good warranties, would they cover this on their Hazard Lite????

hasko_norco69

Likes Bikes
i would say go odyssey but not chrome, get the midways or the hazard lite duralectra because they have good brake response in the wet n they r good all round brakin rims due to there coating.

user name

Likes Dirt
My vote is for a hazard lite. it shouldnt flake and will offer a great even reponse in most* normal conditions.

*Every rim will have a disadvantage some where and your brake pads may affect this result.

will...

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got Koolstops, so they should work good. I cant go Duralectura coz I'm buying the Harzard Lite stock wheel.

ride a mtn bike

Likes Bikes
when i rode bmx i had a sun big city crome wheel and it flaked in about 2 or 3 months so i then bought a hazard lite heaps beeter rim an the crome did not flake while i owned it. my mate also bought a primo rear wheel second hand has it ages and has only flaked around the edge from using a flat blade screw driver as tyre levers. so if ur goin crome i would reccomend oddssey or primo

Jack_STP1

Likes Dirt
Yeh, the chrome are better braking if u keep them in good cond. Some chromers change from chrome to kind of gold. Not sure why, but thats what i have found on my rim and on mates.