Chunt of the year.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
His superior is a guy that claims he works very closely with the guys in Awaba and Ourimbah. He's relatively new to that position as well and I cringed when he said that. I cater to a small local crew and a large visiting crew but the thought of any fuck ups in Awaba or Ourimbah would see the world burn. The person that both of these clowns answer to is a woman who rides horses, hates any form of bike riding and thinks all forests should be fenced off from public access. There's no two ways about it; the whole lot of them are c#@ts and I hope you guys south of me never have any worries with this sort of shit. They've admitted that a permit doesn't mean shit all, if they want to clear the forest for tree harvesting then the best you'll get is a letter three weeks after it's done. I didn't even get that courtesy as the system is so messed up that it didn't ping when the harvest plan was drawn up.
Whatever the case, the office building is still highly flammable. ;)
A letter to the paper and maybe a story with a picture of you looking all sad panda next to the destroyed trails would get some of forestry higher ups blood pressure raised.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
A letter to the paper and maybe a story with a picture of you looking all sad panda next to the destroyed trails would get some of forestry higher ups blood pressure raised.
It wouldn't achieve too much. I have a plan afoot that will get the info to the right people but then I think that it's a waste of my effort as no one will be compensated, the old trail is gone and I no longer have a partnership with Forestry. In actual fact, I am kind of relived as the systematic shit that goes with abiding by their dodgey laws is a waste of my time. I want to ride with rad dudes and build fun trails. ;)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It wouldn't achieve too much. I have a plan afoot that will get the info to the right people but then I think that it's a waste of my effort as no one will be compensated, the old trail is gone and I no longer have a partnership with Forestry. In actual fact, I am kind of relived as the systematic shit that goes with abiding by their dodgey laws is a waste of my time. I want to ride with rad dudes and build fun trails. ;)
I never can figure out the right time for this, but I have a vibe....

:llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::llama::Banane16::Banane16::Banane16::Banane16::Banane16::Banane16::Banane16:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
His superior is a guy that claims he works very closely with the guys in Awaba and Ourimbah. He's relatively new to that position as well and I cringed when he said that. I cater to a small local crew and a large visiting crew but the thought of any fuck ups in Awaba or Ourimbah would see the world burn. The person that both of these clowns answer to is a woman who rides horses, hates any form of bike riding and thinks all forests should be fenced off from public access. There's no two ways about it; the whole lot of them are c#@ts and I hope you guys south of me never have any worries with this sort of shit. They've admitted that a permit doesn't mean shit all, if they want to clear the forest for tree harvesting then the best you'll get is a letter three weeks after it's done. I didn't even get that courtesy as the system is so messed up that it didn't ping when the harvest plan was drawn up.
Buggar. The guy down here gave us about 2 years notice (Well 15 if you count the first time they told us it was to be logged) A heap of maps of harvest schedules and a clear "Hey you know this stuff over here we have inthe hard wood will never be logged... Anything good over there?" Helped that the dude in charge was a keen cyclist

Feel for you buddy. I know after all the shit I went through with state mione and getting Pony Express up and running I was feeling the same, build unofficial ride it til they close it and build again. but int he end I'm glad I stayed on the official route

marc.r

Likes Dirt
while i 100% get your perspective where abouts in state forrest around coffs can you build non sanctioned trails that you wont be worried they will get/bulldozed when the loggers come in? sincerely like to know and if its to much disclosure for the public forum a PM might be nice.

I'm in coffs a handful of times a year as my family live in woolgoolga so have an active interest in the mtb future of the area sanctioned or not.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Haven't read much of the thread and won't, so excuse me if I cover old ground.

One avenue is to get the local council onside if you can by showing how much out of town tourism the track brings each year and what that means for the local hotels, bike shops, petrol stations, coffee shops, bottlo's, etc.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC

One avenue is to get the local council onside if you can by showing how much out of town tourism the track brings each year and what that means for the local hotels, bike shops, petrol stations, coffee shops, bottlo's, etc.
We are talking nsw forestry corporation johnny. Local council and business support won't mean much. Forestry's main purpose is selling wood. To do that the manage forests and when they are ready harvest trees.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
while i 100% get your perspective where abouts in state forrest around coffs can you build non sanctioned trails that you wont be worried they will get/bulldozed when the loggers come in? sincerely like to know and if its to much disclosure for the public forum a PM might be nice.

I'm in coffs a handful of times a year as my family live in woolgoolga so have an active interest in the mtb future of the area sanctioned or not.
I've had to keep this secret for the entire year but it doesn't matter to reveal it now as I've ceased the operation: I've spent every weekend this year building a gravity park that has been fully backed and zoned as mountain biking only. I launched a proposal last year and it was approved with all the bells and whistles by Forestry. It was simple: I build the trails for free and the local club puts a permit on it in 2015 for commercial use. It's a gravity venue that has a simple five minute pedal to the top of the seven runs I've built. I have built for all levels and have included a flat 2km course built specifically for beginners and for crit XC racing. The new car park was being put in in January, I've drafted and created the artwork for the signage, named and graded each trail, GPS mapped everything, planned the first four events on it that will cater to a national level, I have support of every family within the 10km radius of the site and they all send their kids out to work with me on it. The vibe is amazing, I've hand built an amazing facility that is so much fun to ride and the point has come where the permits are to be paid etc and the forestry have advised that it won't be supported unless a huge amount of money is paid for the necessary permit structure. This is all hog wash as the whole agreement was made in good faith and now that they've seen the desire of people riding this place they've thought "Yeah, we'll make a quick buck and triple the fee's and restrict the usage". I'm shattered, I've put 200 hours into it, popped discs in my back, killed a few of my powered tools and they've turned into greedy fools over it. Combine this with the destruction of the nearby downhill venue and you'll be left wondering what the............ Only a handful of local people have known about the venue and everyone who's ridden it has been so impressed. It was my pet project for the year and now it's all a waste. I've told the club that I'm not maintaining the trails as I don't want to ride some of the stuff I built for the beginners and learners so if they want to use it, they need to care for it. That was always the deal anyway but without a permit, they won't bother. There are a couple of banging good runs on it and they will be kept open for my use but the rest will just overgrow and not exist. It's a shame, it would have been the only all mountain / enduro purpose built venue in Australia.

Part of the year saw me doing another proposal to build trails on Council land after they came to me knowing about the venue I was building elsewhere. It would have been a big build that involved a spiraling two kilometre uphill to get to a 1km easy downhill. I said the trail would be good but it's too much effort to build a one up one down trail. The area would be better suited for a picnic area etc. This proposal took me a week to do mind you and I could make a good trail out of it but they said I'd need to raise the funds to do it! I said that'd only happen with getting grants and they said they will not support a grant scheme. I concluded my dealings with them saying "Why the fuck did you source the advice of a trail builder if you have no fucking intention of supporting a network of trails!!!". They are as dumb, if not dumber than the morons at forestry. I was getting on the good side of land owners and cold have turned this area into the home of mountain biking in Australia but nope, too many lazy and stupid people around here that can't make a decision with foresight on some hard work.
I still have a thirty page file I created to show local businesses the benefits of mountain bike tourism and the few owners of businesses I've spoken to would have sponsored me straight up. We have the biggest and most serviced regional airport in Australia, we have comfortable weather all year round, more than enough quality accommodation, plenty of other tourist attractions, heaps of beaches, heaps of places to eat and drink, good public transport, it's scenic with tons of places to potentially build sanctioned trails and we're in an ideal location to service people travelling for the weekend from nearby populated areas. I was so close to sinking cash into running a business that runs transport, shuttles for downhill, race organisation and timing, event promotion, photography blah blah blah and all it needed was the support of the land owners with foresight to get this tourist hub cranking. Well fucking der, the jokes on you now you simple idiots, you lose.
Anyone want to join me for a game of golf in my now frequent spare time? Hit me up if you want to ride some of my hand built trails. ;)

stirk

Burner
That sure is some bad shit Dozer!

I have a nomination, just now, on the road riding back after my morning trail fun and this cunt turns into his driveway across my path forcing me to stop for 5 seconds while he and his 30 ft long trailer got out of my way.

I of course yell at him that's he's a fuckwit and he's then motioning at me 'comon' wanting to have a fight, calls me a loser, yeah I really want to be involved with the Police processing an assault charge against you just before xmas.

Big fat bully looking guy he was, a simple sorry mate would have been more appropriate but don't think this guy would have it in him to be polite or considerate.

I know where he lives...... mwhua ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa......

VEX33D

Likes Dirt
I know where he lives...... mwhua ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa......
Care man, he might have got your rego details.... Oh wait! :D

I had some drop kick do the same last year. I was pedalling a suburban street, pedalling a roadie at 30+KM's and this halfwit pulled across two lanes of road to swing into his driveway.

I was collected by his front quarter panel, putting me over his bonnet and hitting the road pretty hard. Cracking my helmet and leaving me sore.

He was found at fault and insurance covered the repair to the bike. But if he hadn't been such an impatient fuck, it could have been avoided.

I've learnt that ALOT of motorists simply underestimate the speed that bike riders can be moving along.