Food/Diet Clif Bar in Australia or a similar bar instead?

justabuzz

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,

I managed to put my hands on two packs of Clif and I'm about to run out. Before that happens I wanted to order them again, but I can't find any shop in AU that sells them. And the ones from overseas are stupidly expensive.

So, this leaves me with two options:
  1. Ask whether anyone here knows where to buy them (for a reasonable price of course)
  2. Ask about similar bars - any bar I checked was either not as nutritious or tasted like cardboard...
So, here I am asking..

Thanks for any reply,
The hungry rider! :)

a_hargy

Likes Dirt
Why not make your own? Fresher, no preservatives and I think they taste so much better. Here's the recipe I use. Lots of other recipes on that site also, and a quick google search will bring up plenty of other recipes for home made clif bars.

justabuzz

Likes Bikes
Why not make your own? Fresher, no preservatives and I think they taste so much better. Here's the recipe I use. Lots of other recipes on that site also, and a quick google search will bring up plenty of other recipes for home made clif bars.
This is a third option for me then! May give it a go!

Cheers!
The now-hungrier rider! ;)

justabuzz

Likes Bikes
I usually wait until they come on special at Torpedo7. The 24-pack three variety boxes are particularly good value.
I got my first batch from Torpedo7 and they don't seem to have any now. Yup, patience is the key here.. Or make your own, as @a_hagry suggests!

Thanks!

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How long would they last in the fridge (from a spoilage perspective)?

are they easy enough to eat on the go?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm just going off what my coworker, who happens to be a sports nutritionist and former professional road cyclist says. Those things are pretty bad for you. Try making your own. Dates, brown rice crisps, pistachios, ginger etc etc. Use REAL ingredients. Also it's pretty easy to work out nutritional value of what you make, thus making it easy to track what you're eating etc etc...

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I have been using High 5 energy bars from CRC. I find the cliff bars too heavy and chewy and too hard to eat on the bike. The high 5 ones feel lighter in the mouth and easy to chew and eat. I like the coconut ones but am keen to try the peanut ones now.
Torq energy bars are great but far too expensive.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Here is what I have been using, plus my comments. I'm not a guru when it comes to nutrition:

Cadel Bars - to hard and chewy. O.k for training rides, but not racing. Takes a bit of time to get the thing down
Clif bars - Easier to chew, but I found them pretty bland
Powerbars - tried one, didn't do it for me.
One square meal bars (2 in a packet) - I find these the best. Easy to chew and digest. Taste good and keeps me motoring on. Easy to get from major supermarkets.

Just my 2 cents, but try the one square meal bars. Made by Sanitarium http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/on-the-go/one-square-meal

teK--

Eats Squid
Been really happy with Mule Bars they are really moist and easy to chew whilst riding. Usually carry one of those, a gel of some sort, and some Gu gel chomps. Have tried all the flavours, Hunza Nut seems to be the best with a nice mix of chewy apricot and extra protein from the nuts.