Climate change - what can we do?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I agree my $3.88 isn’t a lot or enough. So in the spirit of this thread what are you doing/recommending that is better?
Take the decimal point out of the offset for a start. Driving two people reduces co2 to almost 1/4 compared to flying. Obviously the boat is in a trip to Tas but that could be reduced by hiring a car Syd to Melb and not taking it on the boat. Impractical, time consuming and little price difference, even with my offset suggestion, makes it too easy to fly.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Take the decimal point out of the offset for a start. Driving two people reduces co2 to almost 1/4 compared to flying. Obviously the boat is in a trip to Tas but that could be reduced by hiring a car Syd to Melb and not taking it on the boat. Impractical, time consuming and little price difference, even with my offset suggestion, makes it too easy to fly.
Boat is pretty good on a passenger km basis. Probably better than driving that distance, and if you're on it as a passenger you may as well take the car anyway.

Its a long shit of a drive down the Hume though - fuck that, get the plane, burn baby burn!

* I did it by car/boat last time - I was feeling poor and flying/car rental was a lot more money....

MARKL

Eats Squid
Ok, so I decided to look at the plane vs car thing for my trip to Tassie:

• Plane - Airbus A320
    • According to Wikipedia around 2.2 L/100 km/seat.
    • Now assume that it is only 75% occupied that goes up to 2.9 L/100 km/seat. (therefore my plane numbers are conservative)
    • Distance 915km each way for two people.
    • Estimated fuel usage 107 litres
  • My Car
    • Best fuel economy - 8 L/100km
    • Distance by road 1,420km
    • Estimated fuel usage 227 litres
CO2 per litre of petrol burnt is 2.392kg. I assume fairly similar for both fuels.

Plane = 256kg of Co2

Car = 543kg of CO2

Seems a compelling case for the plane. Thoughts?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal

• Plane - Airbus A320
    • Now assume that it is only 75% occupied that goes up to 2.9 L/100 km/seat. (therefore my plane numbers are conservative)
  • My Car
CO2 per litre of petrol burnt is 2.392kg. I assume fairly similar for both fuels.

Plane = 256kg of Co2

Car = 543kg of CO2

Find a mate to keep you company in the car and you half your Co2, shouldn't be to hard to find someone to drag down to Tassie.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Find a mate to keep you company in the car and you half your Co2, shouldn't be to hard to find someone to drag down to Tassie.
Two people in the car, two people in the plane calcs.

I have ignored the boat trip, so the car figure is low and loaded up the plane by a third so it is high. The errors are all loaded in favour of the car in this scenario and it still isn't even close.

For the figures to get close it would need to be 4 -5 people in the car

Last edited:

LPG

likes thicc birds
The thing with plane travel is people will fly much further than they would drive without questioning it. Return trip to the other side of the world for 1-2 weeks flying? No worries. Driving 10,000 km for 1-2 weeks? Not going to happen.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
compost all coal loving liberal party MPs. They are quite toxic though. liberally sprinkle them with dolerite to make them less acidic. layer them with shredded confidential government documents and some sawdust and lawn clippings to soak up the excess bullshit. When they have broken down nicely, remember a little goes a long way. too much liberal compost will kill your lawn and poison the vegie patch.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

• Plane - Airbus A320
  • My Car

Plane = 256kg of Co2

Car = 543kg of CO2

Correct. If you must travel short haul, flying emits less CO2 than driving if you are one-up.

If I was to drive the Polo (5.5l/100km) and there were two of us, driving would be better.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
If we could buy our way out of this mess with offsets, we'd have this problem sorted.

Offsets are bullshit, no matter if "certified" or not.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Clearing old trees is way dumber than planting new trees for CC.

We should stop clearing old trees. We are doing this at a biblical rate.

If there was an offset programme to not fell an old tree, would you call this a positive benefit or simply stopping the rot?

These single person offset programmes are just a marketing exercise.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
We should stop clearing old trees. We are doing this at a biblical rate.
I thought new growth is meant to suck up more carbon and old growth (so long as we don't burn the stuff) is equivalent to sequestration. Obviously other bio-diversity things at play but from an emissions perspective new trees are where it's at.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Correct. If you must travel short haul, flying emits less CO2 than driving if you are one-up.

If I was to drive the Polo (5.5l/100km) and there were two of us, driving would be better.
Is that polo number pre or post Volkswagen 'dieselgate' numbers?