Climbing

Mica

Likes Dirt
You know you all love it, I do for some sadistic reason.

Thought I'd share my latest conquest (and rub in the fact I'm in Italy and about to head to the tour).

After climbing the Gavia and Stelvio we decided to head up a lesser known route on the Mortirolo from Tovo (not all on the same day, we're not that mad though some are apparently) 36x25 was not a smart move!!

For once photos do the grade justice, more to come once I plug the camera in.

Last edited:

Mica

Likes Dirt
Lower slopes at 18%
One of many hairpins
The bastard woods (see next image)

Started down there somewhere
A brief respite before....
...the concrete which topped out at 22%
All for the adulation of the waiting cows

Not sure if it was a blessing or a curse taking these photos, as while it was nice to stop, getting started again did prove a challenge!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Whoa! That view!!!!!
The section in the second last photo looks like it'd be greasy even when it's dry. I hope you had a downhill bike parked at the top and slayed some epic trail to get down?

Mica

Likes Dirt
Happily there's alternate routes down, not sure that way would have been rideable on the roadie.

It's a bit cruel being stuck on the tarmac this trip. There's MTB trails and signs disappearing off in all directions and it all looks superb. There was a map on the summit showing a route to climb about another 1000m on the dirt and then descend all the way to the valley on trails. Will have to pull my finger out and organise a dirt trip to Europe at some stage

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Looks awesome ! While many here (rotorburn general) are gravity orientated, i love climbing... don't get me wrong, I love descending too but the satisfaction of climbing a hill/mountain is as good if not better than the descent. Would love to do a euro trip in the future and climb some of the Pyrenees/Alps that they do in the Tour.

Enjoy !

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Looks awesome ! While many here (rotorburn general) are gravity orientated, i love climbing... don't get me wrong, I love descending too but the satisfaction of climbing a hill/mountain is as good if not better than the descent. Would love to do a euro trip in the future and climb some of the Pyrenees/Alps that they do in the Tour.

Enjoy !
+1 brother. The steeper and the more tears the better.

ers

Likes Dirt
Lower slopes at 18%
One of many hairpins
The bastard woods (see next image)

Started down there somewhere
A brief respite before....
...the concrete which topped out at 22%
All for the adulation of the waiting cows

Not sure if it was a blessing or a curse taking these photos, as while it was nice to stop, getting started again did prove a challenge!
Wow
Clocked on this by accident
Wonderful
Good for you
Ers

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Enjoy !
Descending is so much better when you earn it! :wink:

Mica

Likes Dirt
A couple of French photos since the last ones where so popular...the hills are tamer but so is the weather.

40km of climbing means 40km of descending...Galibier was tight and technical, descent to Briancon was 30km of tailwind, topped out gears and sweeping corners with practically no need for brakes, superb

Col d'Izoard, don't think a comment is needed for this.

Trust you're all enjoying winter

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Very very nice indeed. I love a good roadie climb!!

Must be nice riding in a country where they're not all trying to kill you!

Mica

Likes Dirt
Very nice, I'm aiming for this next year : http://www.hauteroute.org/

Keen to do 2 of the events back to back - love a good climb!
You'll have to love a few climbs for that one!!! Been a bit of discussion about that event here and the shear brutality of it. That's a hell of a target to aim for!! Hope you get there and keen to hear some reports.

No photos from the camera yet but have knocked out a few more climbs in last few days with the Col de la Madeleine from the north being the highlight. A quiet, long, narrow and winding road with superb blueberry pie at the summit!

Sadly off to watch how the real boys do it for the next couple of days and won't get too many more passes in before heading home and watching the form and tan lines fade away...

tojo

Likes Bikes
Great pics. There is lots of great rides in the alps. I happened to be in Nauders when they held the "Race Across the Alps". It's a 532km single day race with 14,532m of climbing. The record is under 22 hrs. It covers many of the passes you climbed.