Clip-ins to Flats to improve skills?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I ride clips and still seam to have no issue bailing out. I'd think someone riding 15 years clipped would be very good getting out of SPDs by now?
I'm up to 20 years on them now, and like others, back in the day I could do a decent wheelie, until that one time 19 years ago, I was clipped in and went over the back. Haven't been able to wheelie since.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm up to 20 years on them now, and like others, back in the day I could do a decent wheelie, until that one time 19 years ago, I was clipped in and went over the back. Haven't been able to wheelie since.
Time to get those flats out again CG.
Doing a big wheelie is one of the true pleasures of MTBing lol. The perfect activity for the boring bits on the way to the ST.

I was riding flats on my old retro beast with v-brakes and forgot they didn't work when wet, ripped a big wheelie on a cold damp morning and straight over the back onto my ass lol

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Time to get those flats out again CG.
Doing a big wheelie is one of the true pleasures of MTBing lol. The perfect activity for the boring bits on the way to the ST.
Not only a pleasure on the MTB..., Wheelies on a fixie (my Mon-Fri commuter ) are a piece of p#$@

When I see the local boys parked up on a Friday morning after their loop around the Bay run I always pull a wheelie past while they're sipping lattes, the look of disdain I get is worth every pedal stroke.

moorey

call me Mia
Not only a pleasure on the MTB..., Wheelies on a fixie (my Mon-Fri commuter ) are a piece of p#$@

When I see the local boys parked up on a Friday morning after their loop around the Bay run I always pull a wheelie past while they're sipping lattes, the look of disdain I get is worth every pedal stroke.
It’s for the fixie, not the wheelie...and it’s every human, not just the local boys.

nzhumpy

It’s for the fixie, not the wheelie...and it’s every human, not just the local boys.
Nope, all the SWorks, Pinarellos, Cervelos etc parked up and the amount of head shaking tells me they think the guy riding past in flouro TLD Motos with a helmet with peak...they be thinking I'm a hooligan giving cycling a bad name.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

OK, pleasure on any bike.
Get some funny looks when I do it on my carbon roadie too ha ha.

moorey

call me Mia
Nope, all the SWorks, Pinarellos, Cervelos etc parked up and the amount of head shaking tells me they think the guy riding past in flouro TLD Motos with a helmet with peak...they be thinking I'm a hooligan giving cycling a bad name.
On a fixie, you are :D

nzhumpy

Bianchi Super Pista or a Cinelli Mash, I have a choice of idiocy, both are still better options than driving to work.

Zero f@#$s given, I'm still living like it's 2008 and peak fixie.

Last edited:
So have we finally come to the conclusion that flats is where it's at ?

I eagerly await the next installment in 6 months time.

However, in the meantime, I'm running 23.456735 psi in my front tyre, what should I run the back (not a euphemism)

teK--

Eats Squid
This thread inspired me to chuck my flats back on today after a 5 year hiatus... Ironically I have never felt such a direct connection between foot and pedal when flicking the back wheel around corners. Will def be keeping these on for a while.