co2 inflator for Fatbike

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Folks...has anyone had any issues using the standard 16g co2 canisters on fatbike tyres trailside?..were talking 4 inches plus here... my fatboy has 4.6 inch wide tyres, so lots of volume needed.
am setting up a trail kit for the new fatty, and wasn't sure if a 16g will cut it..will I need to take 2 per tyre.
I have a Genuine Innovations co2 kit for my trailbike, it uses a 45g co2 canister and a small valve head that screws on - but at $30+ per canister, that aint gonna happen.
any info would be great.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I gave this some thought but couldn't get a definitive answer. As I will have one of the 4wds when I take the Muru somewhere I will have a compressor available. Be interested to know though. You can do the experimental research and publish the paper! I don't have a CO2 pump to try.

hathill

Likes Dirt
You'll need one of these.

16 grams CO2 ain't gonna cut it...:dance:

co2-5.jpg

Folks...has anyone had any issues using the standard 16g co2 canisters on fatbike tyres trailside?..were talking 4 inches plus here... my fatboy has 4.6 inch wide tyres, so lots of volume needed.
am setting up a trail kit for the new fatty, and wasn't sure if a 16g will cut it..will I need to take 2 per tyre.
I have a Genuine Innovations co2 kit for my trailbike, it uses a 45g co2 canister and a small valve head that screws on - but at $30+ per canister, that aint gonna happen.
any info would be great.

Last edited:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
any info would be great.
What air pressure would one get you to? Fat tyres run at 6-8psi.. Maybe sacrifice one to find out?

MARKL

Eats Squid
I cant see the 16g ones cutting it. When I take my Sasquatch out I just take a mini floor pump and :pray:I wont ever have to use it.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
The maths says that a standard 16g CO2 canister should do about 8L of CO2 at 20 degrees and 15 PSI. If youre running lower pressures i think this might actually cut it without trying to work out the capacity of your tyre...

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Correction I fucked that up, that would be 8L at atmospheric. Without doing the proper calc, half that. So you might be pushing it a little...

T-Rex

Template denier
If one isn't enough, use two. if you are riding a fat bike you clearly are not a weight weenie.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
don't think 2 would cut it either!..
I never really understood the whole weight weiner thing, total waste of time if you ask me..
found some 40g cartridges, but run propane instead of co2-but uses standard co2 pump fitting, and the canister doesn't have to be made of thick steel either, as propane can be contained at a much lower pressure than co2.
and if i get a flat, I have the choice of having a BBQ or re-inflating my tyre.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I reckon you need four....

I'm a pretty shit maffematician, but this is basic enough to be within the bounds of my capabilities.....

One 16g cartridge is good to get a 26x2" tyre up to the right firmness (I'll use the term "firmness" rather than "pressure", due to the fact different volumes end up at different pressures to achieve the same feel".

A 4' wide fattie is not only double the width, it is also damn near double the height, so you end up with four times the cross-sectional area, and when formed into a tubular structure, four times the volume. That's working in squares, but tyres ain't square, nor are they straight.... Knock the corners off the square section & you'd be back to maybe 3x your starting reference, but when you go & wrap it around a rim, you're left a bit short at the outer extremity. So you fill the gap & there you have close enough to four times the volume of a 2" wide tyre

So you need four canisters.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
If you needed to inflate it to the same pressure as a 26x2 tyre. Which you don't. 8-10 psi is ample.
thanks rone,i take it you have been down this road before with a bike very similar, if not exactly the same! has that big green bike with the skinny tyres turned up yet?

camoshop

Banned
25g as said above will be enough, or take a mini pump and attach to your frame, they usually come with a mount that goes under the bottle cage

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Propane? When I was building up the bike I used a small hand pump to put some shape in the tube before fitting the tyres, well I started to. Fired up the compressor. Many many pumps just to get basic shape.

Still cannot get my head around putting propane in tyres. A guy here who fatbike at Moreton told me that it would take at least two cartridges but again depends what pressure you want. When we camping before Christmas I put a palm frond through the rear on the beach. Luckily only a couple of km from camp. Just fitted a new tube using the compressor in the 4wd. I was only running 9psi at the time. Might have to get a CO2 inflator and give it a try. But not propane!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Propane? When I was building up the bike I used a small hand pump to put some shape in the tube before fitting the tyres, well I started to. Fired up the compressor. Many many pumps just to get basic shape.

Still cannot get my head around putting propane in tyres. A guy here who fatbike at Moreton told me that it would take at least two cartridges but again depends what pressure you want. When we camping before Christmas I put a palm frond through the rear on the beach. Luckily only a couple of km from camp. Just fitted a new tube using the compressor in the 4wd. I was only running 9psi at the time. Might have to get a CO2 inflator and give it a try. But not propane!
why not propane?..its all about upper and lower explosive limits, if that is what you are concerned about?
if you buy a new fridge, or even any new aircon equipment now and into the future, it will contain some sort of flammable refrigerant..be it iso-butane(lighter fuel) or purified propane.
all the refrigeration equipment in ALDI stores has been using R600a and R290 for a while now!
co2_inflator_-_7916.jpg

Last edited: