CO2 inflator - good thing ?

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've never owned one because I don't get punctures :p are they worth having ? what's the best way to buy cartridges - they seem quite expensive

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Ahh, not a huge amount of experience with them, but I know there are some that are click on, and some that are screw on. Plus some inflate by just pushing down onto the valve, and some like mine that has a separate release button. Mine's screw on and has a half used canister permanently attached. But like I said, other's opinions and experiences may vary

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I've had CO2 inflators packed for both road and MTBs for some time now and never had to use it.

I have no doubt tempted the puncture gods now :/

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Great for road riding as they inflate tyre rapidly to max inflation.
I’ve not used them for mountain biking because I think they’d over inflate the tyre and you’d have to bleed air out too much to make it worthwhile

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I’ve not used them for mountain biking because I think they’d over inflate the tyre and you’d have to bleed air out too much to make it worthwhile
That's why I like mine with the button.

Also, there's a much much greater volume of space to fill in an mtb tyre Vs road. Some canisters are only big enough to get enough pressure to get you back to car or home from dead flat.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I don't like disposable crap. I'll put up with a mini pump on the trails.
Canisters, discarded tubes and those Gu Gel packets on the trails are the worst.

I’ve got a couple of canisters, but never had to use them. Even when I do, I won’t buy more - bought a mini pump instead.

herbman

Likes Dirt
I find them better than a pump if you have a issue with tubeless tires and have to break the bead. Have never been able to reseat a tubeless tire with a mini pump.
Plus isn’t the rule you should carry out what you carry in?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a kit with a regulator on it which is handy as they can be tricky and easy to waste all the air leaving you stranded.
However its a hangover from my road cycling and don't bother taking it MTB anymore. I have a high volume pump which does a great job without having to worry about wasting the air.

I have also heard of issues with the cold air making tubeless sealing difficult due to affecting the sealant, however more likely to be a high pressure road issue than MTB. I have never actually used my kit on MTB tubeless.

I've got a nice selection of canisters I never use, as I keep finding them after they fall off peoples bikes! Strap them on properly people!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The std size ones certainly do not over inflate a mtb tyre. You really need the larger volume canisters to get better than ‘roll home’ pressures.

Hey

Likes Bikes
I use one, but only on trail side repairs.
Best to get an inflator that screws onto the valve, and has a screw tap to help regulate the flow. Can leave a half empty canister screwed onto the inflator then and save the air for later.
I use the large canisters which can be expensive, but you rarely use many in a year.
I wear gloves so not concerned with frostbite from them.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Been using them for years, though I have used more C02 on other peoples tyres than my own.... yet literally went through 100's of Co2 canisters.

Its mostly on my commuter and CX that I use them, MTB very rarely and probably a burp if I do use it.

Hard to beat these prices for 50..... Pushys on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/323101124340 works out $40 for 50 cartridges.

And these Lezyne twin speed drive heads, reckon I have about 6 of these in different spares packs for different bikes, I picked most of them up on special for around $10-12 each https://www.bikebug.com/lezyne-twin-speed-drive-co2-25g-p-64039.html

Screw the head on and don't break the seal, when you need it, tighten on with your gloves on.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Use them on the commuter bike. Thinking of switching them over to the mtb. But given the differnces (tubeless and other stuff likely to go more wrong more often) I stuck with a mini pump.