Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Passata coffee turned out alright. Used my Chemex to filter it. I put in 25 grams of coffee to begin with and have just filled up half a tumbler so lets see how potent this is....

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
What's the recommended hand grinder for filter these days? Still a porlex? My hario is on its last legs. Thinking of a Christmas update.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Passata coffee turned out alright. Used my Chemex to filter it. I put in 25 grams of coffee to begin with and have just filled up half a tumbler so lets see how potent this is....
Potent...as in caffeine dose? Not very much. But enough to keep me from getting a headache in the morning before I make it to the espresso machine. Each gram of coffee only has so much caffeine to extract. This is more about the flavour, which has a huge range of contributing factors.

I like it served over I've with a bit of pure cream or "neat" and enjoyed like a whisky.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
What's the recommended hand grinder for filter these days? Still a porlex? My hario is on its last legs. Thinking of a Christmas update.
How long has the Hario lasted you? I was thinking of one to gift my brother. I have a rhinowares one but the plastic notches that held the ceramic in place wore out and I had to glue it in place (no more adjustability). It still works fine, just set for aero press / filter the rest of its life.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Potent...as in caffeine dose? Not very much. But enough to keep me from getting a headache in the morning before I make it to the espresso machine. Each gram of coffee only has so much caffeine to extract. This is more about the flavour, which has a huge range of contributing factors.

I like it served over I've with a bit of pure cream or "neat" and enjoyed like a whisky.
I never measure coffee by the gram, so I can never tell how strong it will be - so this was a good benchmark to measure volume and coffee ground amount. I had it neat and drank about 1/3rd of that jar, maybe a little more. Might have some more this afternoon.

Do you drink the whole jar in the morning?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
How long has the Hario lasted you?
Mine is the 'skerton' with the bulbous glass jar. A good 3-4 years of use, and it's been pretty good. The handle attachment to the shaft has worn a groove though, and i expect it to fail at some point. Soft steel. I installed a lower shaft bushing on mine because otherwise long shaft makes the burrs wander a bit on coarser grinds. Skerton bushing part

Commandante
Oooohhhh. Sexy. But for $449 I'm expecting carbon or ti at least :rolleyes:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I never measure coffee by the gram, so I can never tell how strong it will be - so this was a good benchmark to measure volume and coffee ground amount. I had it neat and drank about 1/3rd of that jar, maybe a little more. Might have some more this afternoon.

Do you drink the whole jar in the morning?
I usually drink about 180ml in the morning. But if I'm home all day I'll often plough through it. I also drink a fair bit working in the bar...named it the Russian virgin as its close enough to a booze free white Russian.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Made 3 coffees today. First tasted sour. No problem probably didn't warm the basket enough being cooler weather in Melb lately. take 2, still sour.... hmmm. Last of the beans maybe they are toast. Bin the last few nugget and open a fresh bag. Boiling water on the basket to make sure it's 100% hot. Proceed to make coffee. Taste test seems fine, maybe I've fixed it.

Froth milk, add to coffee fml it's sour. Milk was a week overdue!

Just left he mess there and drove straight to the local cafe 2 that is actually walking distance.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Made 3 coffees today. First tasted sour. No problem probably didn't warm the basket enough being cooler weather in Melb lately. take 2, still sour.... hmmm. Last of the beans maybe they are toast. Bin the last few nugget and open a fresh bag. Boiling water on the basket to make sure it's 100% hot. Proceed to make coffee. Taste test seems fine, maybe I've fixed it.

Froth milk, add to coffee fml it's sour. Milk was a week overdue!

Just left he mess there and drove straight to the local cafe 2 that is actually walking distance.
Time to confess in the fuckwits thread....do you sniff the milk before pouring (that sounds weird). I don’t drink milk but making the kids brekky, always sniff before pour. Something my parents ingrained in me, must be a reason.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Time to confess in the fuckwits thread....do you sniff the milk before pouring (that sounds weird). I don’t drink milk but making the kids brekky, always sniff before pour. Something my parents ingrained in me, must be a reason.
depends how many days the milk has been in the fridge. nothing worse than pouring curdled milk into your coffee or on your cereal.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Happy New Year.

Whats the hotness for coffee machines under 1k? Something that comes with a grinder and reasonably easy to use? Not for me, for wifey.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You don’t want the grinder as part of the machine. The heat in the machine ruins the beans real fast.

I was given a Seaco Automatic machine. There is a good reason why it was given away.

I still think the Sunbeam EM7100, with a conical burr grinder like the EM0480, can’t be beat in the sub 1 grand category. Instead of boiling water in a tank, it uses a heating element to heat water instantaneously as it’s needed, marketed as “thermoblock”. Same concept as storage hot water vs instant hot water for the house’s hot water supply. Traditionalists hate thermoblock. I see nothing wrong with it. The biggest feature of the EM series sunbeam is the pressure gauge. It shows the water pressure between pump and the grind in the basket. Let’s you instantly know if your grind size and tamp pressure is right ( how hard you’ve compacted the grind into the basket). This pressure gauge is a huge helper for producing consistent results.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I started with a Breville Thermoblock machine. Was ok, but the steam ran out real quick. If you can get a Breville dual boiler and smart grinder for less than a grand that’ll do you for years. They also take the full size filters so good for upgrading bits.
Agree on not having the grinder as part of the machine.

I’ve got a SAB machine with a boiler and heat exchanger, works great.