Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So my espresso machine is busted and I am full-time on the Aeropress and cold brew. I was always told that you choose and grind your coffee exactly as you would for an espresso machine, but I am seeing on this page that this is incorrect? Should I be grinding coarsely rather than finely? I use the sintered metal disc filter and brew upside down already, so don't mind changing my ways.
You've nailed it, I'd suggest you grind noticeably coarser than what you would grind espresso. It's difficult to give directions over text, so perhaps look at some YouTube videos - James Hoffman is probably a good start. Ultimately, whatever tastes best for you is what is correct! If you don't notice a difference, or don't like the changes, keep doing whatever you were.

Should definitely be more coarse than espresso. For a paper filter I usually go a little finer than a pour over filter grind, with a metal disc filter you probably want to aim closer to filter.
I've got no experience with metal filters but I can say with confidence that not all paper filters produce the same flow rate. V60 papers for example are notoriously different depending on which generation they are, so you'll always have to experiment to see what works for you.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got no experience with metal filters but I can say with confidence that not all paper filters produce the same flow rate. V60 papers for example are notoriously different depending on which generation they are, so you'll always have to experiment to see what works for you.
I was speaking specifically of aeropress metal discs vs paper filters. Metal filters will always let more fines through(aeropress, v60 or otherwise) than a paper one, and have a higher flow rate for a similar grind, but if you're brewing inverted on an aeropress that's also less of an issue as you're not using the filter it self to affect brew time or flow rates.

The v60 filter issue was annoying, you can still find non tabbed filters on eBay for a reasonable price though... plenty of other pour over device options to play with these days as well.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Are we talking about picking up at parties?

I thought best pour over results came when using soft material filters, like cheese cloth, cotton, and linen?

If I wasn't so lazy about things at home I'd lash out on a syphon set up.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I'm a long time espresso snob with a decent home set-up.....but I'm a total noob when it comes to other/alternative brew methods (with the exception of the Moka Pot ;))

So what does an aeropress coffee taste like? (texture, density etc?) How does it go with milk?
I'm wondering if I should buy one....but I absolutely hate drip/pour-over Nth American style coffee.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have a similar product to an aeropress. It takes pods or ground coffee. On ground coffee it is surprisingly very good. On pods it is like all pods. When we bush camp I take a few days worth of grinds then resort to pods. Might try doing multiple sealed packs of ground beans this Dec.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm a long time espresso snob with a decent home set-up.....but I'm a total noob when it comes to other/alternative brew methods (with the exception of the Moka Pot ;))

So what does an aeropress coffee taste like? (texture, density etc?) How does it go with milk?
I'm wondering if I should buy one....but I absolutely hate drip/pour-over Nth American style coffee.
I don't enjoy it. I find it to be "thin" and not that rich in flavour. I've only consumed it a few times, the funniest being at Hakuba47 where the coffee bar was using the aeropress to make espresso style shots then adding milk and microwaving them into lattes...it was cute.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have a similar product to an aeropress. It takes pods or ground coffee. On ground coffee it is surprisingly very good. On pods it is like all pods. When we bush camp I take a few days worth of grinds then resort to pods. Might try doing multiple sealed packs of ground beans this Dec.
Considered getting a hand grinder or battery/car jack job?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Sure aeropress isn't the ducks nuts but when you are making coffee on your tailgate off grid I reckon it's not a bad option.
Yeah nice and simple for camping or day trips. Can't beat having your own fresh brew at the trail head ;)
I'm tempted to buy one (they're not silly money either)....just to try a different process.

I don't enjoy it. I find it to be "thin" and not that rich in flavour. I've only consumed it a few times, the funniest being at Hakuba47 where the coffee bar was using the aeropress to make espresso style shots then adding milk and microwaving them into lattes...it was cute.
So what's the go with "syphon" coffee?
Is that how they get the cold drip stuff?....or is that different again?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Wacaco Minipress is what I eas using. Produces a good crema and thick brew.

@pink poodle what hand grinder do you recommend? I thought tgey were all $300+ but I see a few for $60ish which is ok for a month a year.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That looks interesting... and they are local ish.

Getting a fine enough grind was an issue at home until I bought a Deutsche Babcock MPS 255 mill. Don't want to repeat that!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So what's the go with "syphon" coffee?
Is that how they get the cold drip stuff?....or is that different again?
Syphon is a high-fa-lootin gadget, not too different to a bong...I suck at science, so excuse any errors here! 2 chambers - a lower and upper chamber (not too different to a stove top). Water is heated and rises up into the top chamber where the coffee grinds are. Stir it up. As the lower chamber cools the vacuum sucks the water back down and the filter screens off the coffee grinds. It is also called vacuum brewing. It produces a delicious clean coffee that I find a lot nicer than a pour over. Some info at the bottom of the page:
https://alternativebrewing.com.au/product-category/manual-coffee-brewing/syphon/

Cold drip is exactly that. Again 2 chambers - upper and lower. Fill upper with coffee and cold water. Adjust grind and the little tap so that it comes through really slow...like a drip. There you have it...cold drip. It is sometimes a bit thick in texture.

Both are big in Japan, syphon more so.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@pink poodle what hand grinder do you recommend? I thought tgey were all $300+ but I see a few for $60ish which is ok for a month a year.
No idea man. I haven't owned a hand grinder since I finished uni and realised that hand grinding enough coffee for me as very time consuming. I would imagine there is a lot of artisan bespoke retro fuck me in the wallet options.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a shop on eBay selling the aeropress and rhino grinder for a decent price. My go to traveling away coffee setup. With some nice beans you'll get a damn good coffee in my experience.

Usually inverted method with the paper filters (they give you tons in the kit)