Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Cold brew is really easy to make at home. Grind coffee, add cold water, shake shake shake, into fridge for 24+ hours, shake whenever you're in the fridge, or not doesn't really matter, filter it, serve. When filtering a $1 funnel from kmart and regular every day paper filters work a treat. Wet filter before filtering. Now you vae delicious cold brew for the emergency caffeine...
That's a good method. I've been making my own iced coffee for years. I brew about 5 shots, put a fistful of brown sugar in a big mug, and pour the brew over it, stir to a liquid, and dump it into an almost full 2 litre bottle of milk. (I have a sweet tooth). I've always wondered what would happen if I bottled and cooled it. I suspect toffee, but dunno.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Sugar will slowly settle on the bottom like flavoured milk. Shake it back in when you rdrink.
Much shaking. When I used to commute ride on my steel Goose (16km including tracks) I'd smash the 2 litres in 10 minutes before I pedalled. Even when I'm not riding, a bottle rarely lasts more than I day. I'm a milk pig.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I got one of those Japanese cans of cold coffee from a servo recently (latte, not the iced long black).

Easily the most disgusting coffee I’ve ever tasted.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I got one of those Japanese cans of cold coffee from a servo recently (latte, not the iced long black).

Easily the most disgusting coffee I’ve ever tasted.
I'm a huge fan of Japanese coffee cans, but they aren't coffee. The can you refer to is quite different from the ones in Japan.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I like the long black ones - I think the BOSS ones you can now get in Woolworths aren't from Japan, just brewed here though?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The long black ones are nice.

the other ones are better than dare etc, but just another coffee flavoured milk thing.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Any of their milk ones are super sweet and kinda vanilla-ish. I lived off cold long black cans from the vending machines in Japan. So good.

You can get milk tea too, also delicious but super sweet too

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any of their milk ones are super sweet and kinda vanilla-ish. I lived off cold long black cans from the vending machines in Japan. So good.

You can get milk tea too, also delicious but super sweet too
I have a feeling the milky ones have condensed milk in them. It's pretty grim.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm a huge fan of Japanese coffee cans, but they aren't coffee. The can you refer to is quite different from the ones in Japan.
Do they have Mr Brown there too? Those weren't too bad from the Taiwan 7/11's.

I tried a few others that I totally forget and the canned Starbucks ones.

Have fun sir. Onsen time for you I think.

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
and yes those are 3 different beans ;) i have high voltage coffee, killer coffee darkside and vittoria mountain blend (this one is only for the cold drip as its cheap when on sale) when i cant get it cheap i tend to use melba coffee blend no6

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
Mycuppa.com.au will do filter pre-grind for you.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
ew harris, although like you said.... free

vittoria comes on sale from time to time for $18 kg, otherwise i tend to use melba coffee blend no 6, its really nice (infact even nice hot)

i find that with the cold brew you can get away with a much less refined bean and still have a great tasting coffee

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have a feeling the milky ones have condensed milk in them. It's pretty grim.
It is more likely powdered milk or (as Dale mentioned) UHT. Though fresh milk here tastes a little funky too. I think it is pasteurized at a higher temp than in Australia. But I am wildly speculating.

With the powdered milk I read a while ago that it used to be import taxed differently if it was "pure" vs blended with sugar. We have a free trade agreement with them (Thanks Tony) that I think includes dairy. Powdered milk is easier to transport...

When I was a kid I used to put scoops of powdered milk on my wheat bix. I enjoy the malty caramel taste and that is prominent in a lot of the cans.

If you are going to cold brew you have to do it properly
Easy...Lets not confuse cold brew with cold drip.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Fresh milk in Japan in my experience was very thin and watery. Negligible taste to be honest. Coffee milk was almost always ultra high tensile while cream was popular. I am not sure what the cream was made from because it left an oily residue on the cup and the palate.

Mostly I drank green tea. After 4 weeks Starbucks smelled less like an emetic and more like coffee. Sometimes I tried. Last few years things have changed and you can get what we recognise as proper espresso drinks though a word of caution cappuccino usually gets cinnamon on top which can shut down your nervous system if you arent expecting it. And American coffee is still dirty watery piss.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ there is a variety of "creamer" type options in those little UHT peel back containers floating around. Given the price of them I can't get my head around why milk isn't more popular. I'm not confident that many of the creamer options are dairy either.

When I first started coming here (not really that long ago) the pour over or American drip machine type coffee was everywhere. The commercial automatic (very bad) "espresso" machines are quite common now and rarely used well. I'd much rather the old style and often go looking for that style if cafe when I'm in Tokyo. You know the sort I mean...a key coffee sign by the door, no windows, ash trays everywhere, a few hundred yen for the morning set (boiled egg, slice of buttery sweet white toast, coleslaw or potato salad, and a black tar coffee...). I found one in ueno last year...the owner gave me a boiled egg with my coffee like a cafe at home might give you a choc coated coffee bean. It was bliss.