Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I havent done much because I ran out of beans. Did a couple of smaller runs but poor crema which could be bean related. Milk froth is spot on so I just need some practice once I get beans.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I havent done much because I ran out of beans. Did a couple of smaller runs but poor crema which could be bean related. Milk froth is spot on so I just need some practice once I get beans.

Likely stale beans or not enough pressure.

Remind me I need some beans before the apocalypse leaves me beanless

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have plenty of our new currency. I need some of our original currency. But to get that I need some of our current currency...rum isn't cheap!

I picked up some yirfacheffe. It shod be good across my range of preparation methods

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have just bedded down some cold brew with oak chips from a rum barrel. The chips smelled great, sweet and rummy. The cold brew was pretty tasty. Will check in on these in a week or two and see how it progresses. This is in lieu of buying a small oak barrel. When he good times return I will be moving on to that experiment

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
I have just bedded down some cold brew with oak chips from a rum barrel. The chips smelled great, sweet and rummy. The cold brew was pretty tasty. Will check in on these in a week or two and see how it progresses. This is in lieu of buying a small oak barrel. When he good times return I will be moving on to that experiment
I salivated a little at the thought of that,

I’m contemplating grating some dark choc into my next cold drip ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck me! I'm not very patient. I was thinking it has at least been a week since I put they coffee down with the barrel chips, nope. Chuck Testa is really giving me some blue taste buds. I've decided to snip a bit out at the 7th day and see how it's going. I can't wait a month.

Progress pics...the foamy one is after the daily agitation. The other is while it was settled. It's hard to photograph, mainly because I threw it all into a recently emptied olive jar and the label is mostly in tact. So hipster.

Attachments

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I was struggling to get a decent brew from my home machine. Hadnt used it for a few months and then had a couple of disasters. Espresso was thin, poor crema and bordering on burnt. Anyways, changed the grind to finer which helped. Then went to the dual wall portafilter yesterday and lo all is good again. Not even sure why I started using the single. I rated todays brew at 9.5/10. My milk stretching and frothing has improved too. Rubbery (as my Kapanese friends would say).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I was struggling to get a decent brew from my home machine. Hadnt used it for a few months and then had a couple of disasters. Espresso was thin, poor crema and bordering on burnt. Anyways, changed the grind to finer which helped. Then went to the dual wall portafilter yesterday and lo all is good again. Not even sure why I started using the single. I rated todays brew at 9.5/10. My milk stretching and frothing has improved too. Rubbery (as my Kapanese friends would say).

Always go big with the dose! Except when you shouldn't.

Home machines don't punch out the steam as hard as commercial so you really need to find the sweet spot. In my experience at home, less milk will be easier to work than more.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Looks like durrie butts in a schooie.

I should probably look into the cold brew setup, I drink a lot of cold coffee. Still getting by on three scoops of Nescafe in a water bottle and shaking the shit out of it though. Even add some milk to treat myself or if I want to not open myself to judgement from the masses.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

I should probably look into the cold brew setup, I drink a lot of cold coffee. Still getting by on three scoops of Nescafe in a water bottle and shaking the shit out of it though. Even add some milk to treat myself or if I want to not open myself to judgement from the masses.
Fucken hell how much do you hate yourself?

grab some nice grounds and whack it in the fridge overnight.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

I'm getting the tar heated up and cutting open feather pillows. You're in so much trouble right now...

Cold brew is easy. Do you have:
  • a vessel (eg reasonable sized jar or juice bottle)
  • funnel
  • filter paper
  • another vessel (same size as the other)
  • space in fridge?
Then you too can make cold brew. If you want to step it up you should be grinding your coffee fresh. This can be done in those fruit ninja mini blender things for this if you don't want to spring for a nice grinder.

And yes, the jar looks grim. Hopefully it soon looks better.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Fucken hell how much do you hate yourself?

grab some nice grounds and whack it in the fridge overnight.
Haha I would've looked like a right piece of shit Saturday morning. I could only find a coke Zero bottle the night before so I made my mud water in that and drank it in the car park at the trails while I was waiting for my mate to show up. Dunno if the joggers would've been more horrified by a 5:30am cola or the concoction that I was actually drinking.

Yeah we have a relatively fancy machine on the bench and a grinder next to it, I'm just up too early to use it. Every now and then I'll make one and put it in the fridge overnight. Might have to give it a go

Last edited: