Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Oh speaking of cold brew - one of my mates makes it with coconut water. Sounds shit. Its not. Give it a try. I usually hate coconut water, but it just brings something else to the brew
what sort? cocunut water comes in a lot varieties? I'll give that a crack.

*Edit: what a pun!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Oh speaking of cold brew - one of my mates makes it with coconut water. Sounds shit. Its not. Give it a try. I usually hate coconut water, but it just brings something else to the brew

Nah...is shit. Can also be done by throwing in a shitload of shredded coconut. Coconut cream and cold brew with maple syrup is nice though. I call it conch juice. That's why there are so many different flavour options available! If what's in your cup is what you like, you've got the right drink.

I was just looking at the deals at alternative brewing for a cold brew set up ( @pink poodle what do you use?)
My set up is high tech...

1. Empty passata (full it costs like $1?)
  2. Funnel (came in a set of 3 for $2 from Woolworths)
  3. coffee filters, paper ones that go in a drip machine (they're cheap!)
  4. empty rum bottle or similar (if I didn't have spirits in the house...I'd get it for free from work)

5) coffee grinder...well this is possibly expensive and high tech, but you'll get one to suit for $150-250. I use a funky looking Bodum one a girl gave me as a gift in 2013, it jus won't die.

Grind suitable dose of coffee. In the 700g passata jar I find 20-25g to be enough. Half fill jar with water and shake vigour for a few seconds. Let it sit for a few minutes with the lid off to degass. Maybe you want to stir it maybe you don't. Fill up rest of jar with water and shake again. Refrigerate for 1-5 days, shaking when you think why not?

Get your rum bottle, jam the funnel in (use the biggest of the 3 way set I recommended), wet paper filter, fit it inside the funnel, pour in cold brew goo. Now don't shake that fucker before you start pouring if you are in a hurry for the goods. It will filter much faster without the goo and chunks. But before getting to the end, shake it good and pour all the shit into the filter. Leave it for a while to filter and tadaaaaaaaaar you now have a rum bottle filled with cold brew.

Paper filter and sludge is good for the garden. Bottle gets a wash and refill then straight back in.

I use the paper filter over cloth as I find the paper delivers a cleaner flavour than cloth. The cloth doesn't remove as much oil as paper. All personal preference.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
ok I guess I'm drinking a bottle of rum this weekend. Sorted with grinder and papers (I've got Chemex ones which I'm guessing can do the job).

how much of a difference is there between your 1 day and 5 day brew? I'm an impatient man - guessing the flavour changes a lot in the first day and then only slightly changes beyond that?

I'm also interested in the slow-drip methods using ice and beakers and other interesting glassware - reminds me of doing titrations in high school chemistry!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
ok I guess I'm drinking a bottle of rum this weekend. Sorted with grinder and papers (I've got Chemex ones which I'm guessing can do the job).

how much of a difference is there between your 1 day and 5 day brew? I'm an impatient man - guessing the flavour changes a lot in the first day and then only slightly changes beyond that?

I'm also interested in the slow-drip methods using ice and beakers and other interesting glassware - reminds me of doing titrations in high school chemistry!
I drink it but don't make it so couldn't tell ya.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Your garden is taking a beating.
My garden? Ha...sold the house with the garden years ago. Just have a small paved courtyard now and life is a lot better. Though I am thinking of putting a bath out there with some plants to create a little outdoor neighbour scaring nookie zone.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Make it a good rum! And don't rinse the bottle out before you use it! The lacquer of rum in there might give you a delicious hint of rum. I might not...it might taste like shit.

1 day is enough. 2 days is good. For me, more than that doesn't really yield a significantly better return, but I prepare a few bottles at a time. Personally once it gets beyond 5 days I find the taste starts to deteriorate. When I make it at work I upsize to 2L batches in empty pineapple juice bottles, lucky pina coladas are popular.

I know a coffee machine technician who built a drip system out of empty milk bottles and a smaller one out of 16 ounce take away cups and tape. It wasn't very appealing to the eye. He likes to tinker.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Huh, didn't know this thread existing.
My home set-up is a SAB Nobel with 2 grinders - one SAB Mignon for my coffee (set-and-forget) and an older Breville Smartgrinder for the Mrs' decaf that doubles up grinding coarser stuff. Couple of Motta milk jugs for frothing duties.
I also have a Hario cold brew pot and a Cold Bruer at home.
Have an Espro P6 coffee pot at work although use one of the other guys Moccamaster half the time depending whats on.

Experimented over the weekend with putting 4 scoops of coffee in the Espro and leaving it in the fridge over the weekend, tasted pretty good but buzzing now!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
not cold drip, but for $65 might make a fun addition to the collection? has mixed reviews..

Out of stock, and you won't see it for 65 again.

Also everyone knows that the only thing kitchen aid worth getting is their stand mixers. All the other peripheral stuff is junk (mostly).

Last edited:

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm tempted to get on the cold brew train, at least as a trial. I assume I need a courser grind than for a French press?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I'm tempted to get on the cold brew train, at least as a trial. I assume I need a courser grind than for a French press?
Pretty sure it doesn't matter much. The beauty is experimentation. As you've seen, pink poodle uses coconut cream and snake feaces and it comes good.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I had a left over shot from last night, changed my mind. Chucked it in the fridgerator. Added moo, ice and cream of ice today. Fark it were good.

ausdb

Being who he is
Pretty sure it doesn't matter much. The beauty is experimentation. As you've seen, pink poodle uses coconut cream and snake feaces and it comes good.
@Squidfayce good to see you've settled into RB ok, hanging shit like a pro already.
One minor correction it's faeces unless @moorey or one of the other pendants beats me to it.