Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

Italians have always copied good designs from other cultures and made them exceptional.

Beretta took Walter's design and made it sexy.
They discovered noodles from China, removed the dog, and made pasta.
They stole arches from the Etruscans and made Colloseums and aqueducts.
They took the gladius from the Celt-Iberians and conquered the world with it.
They learned about sex from the Greeks and decided to have it with women, etc. etc. etc.
Please try the veal

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Ok got the machine and grinder all playing along nicely at home - just ended up with the breville. Not a bad machinefor consumer grade stuff does what I need and home coffee quality has improved significantly and now rates higher than 7-11.

Anyway need some tips on milk frothing. I get the technique and all of that and usually I am quite good. But the problem is it's been ages and since then I have gradually been taking less and less milk to the point where I'm practically making a 5 ounce cuppa. So sorry about the background but the problem:

I can't seem to consistently froth a small amount of milk. I can do a larger quantity and that works great, but any less and it's all over the place.

Will a smaller frothing jug work?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Smaller jug should solve your problem. You want to match your milk volume to your jug volume. po much space in the jug and the milk just blows up. Note though that a small jug can run out of space pretty damn fast and cause quite a mess at times.

ausdb

Being who he is
Just used the coffee machine to make a mustard and parsley white sauce. It was quicker than a saucepan, no lumps and delicious.
Cool, trick..
I've heard of doing scrambled eggs in a milk jug but the thought of having to clean eggs out of the boiler frightens me. Clearing manky milk and limescale out of a fixer upper I bought once was bad enough..

andrew9

Likes Dirt
My four year old Delonghi Dedica has started leaking, I also use a Cuisinart Burr grinder that has been switching off randomly for ages.

I like the idea of replacing them with a machine that combines the two.

The main thing I want to upgrade from the current machines is to have the grinder dose directly into the basket, and a combined machine being more compact would be a bonus.

Thew obvious choice is this Delonghi, as I have been happy with my current machine

Beville make a similar one

I like the idea of getting a fancier machine than either of these, if there is a benefit. It seems that anything more boutique doesn't combine the grinder into the expresso machine. I suppose a true connoisseur would want to curate their choice of grinder to suit their desired flavour story.

Any opinions on either of those machines, or a any other options?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
My four year old Delonghi Dedica has started leaking, I also use a Cuisinart Burr grinder that has been switching off randomly for ages.

The main thing I want to upgrade from the current machines is to have the grinder dose directly into the basket, and a combined machine being more compact would be a bonus.

Thew obvious choice is this Delonghi, as I have been happy with my current machine

Beville make a similar one

I like the idea of getting a fancier machine than either of these, if there is a benefit. It seems that anything more boutique doesn't combine the grinder into the expresso machine. I suppose a true connoisseur would want to curate their choice of grinder to suit their desired flavour story.

Any opinions on either of those machines, or a any other options?
Having the grinder with the machine just makes your beans stale more quickly from the heat.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This isn't a good idea. The heat fluctuations fuck your beans. You'll be achieve much better results with seperate items. But maybe you're a smart operator and keep your beans in an air tight container rather than the grinder hopper anyway.

I've had a few friends with that Breville machine. They were happy with it and Breville tend to have a better reputation than delonghi.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Ok, I didn't think of the heat affecting the beans. I have to admit I usually fill my hopper with several days worth at a time, I'm a terrible person.
I guess I'll stick with separate appliances, and start looking for a replacement for the DeLonghi Dedica.
I've really liked that unit, so going to find something similar. Nice and compact, easy to keep clean and simple enough to use for a manual machine
I'd happily spend more than that unit cost, but don't want a big machine or one that takes a long time to heat up

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Petero

Likes Dirt
I have the barista express - it does a pretty good extraction if you ignore the pressure gauge..
I keep my hopper empty for reasons stated above - just dose what I need with what beans I want at the time.
The grinder isn't the best, and when the portafilter is in the cradle is doses off center which also isn't ideal.
Is also a breville specific 54mm portafilter (rather than standard 58mm) which may or may not be a limitation for some.

TLDR - decent and compact but in hindsight probably would have spent a little more and bought a better (& dual boiler) espresso machine, and separate grinder.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The smaller commercial machines are becoming affordable sadly as cafes close and landlords want their stores emptied.

Facebook marketplace seems the place to look