Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Small experiment here...made some cold brew with Bacardi rather than water. It was pretty powerful stuff! I got the method off an old Japanese bar owner, but substitute Bacardi in for shochu.

Will be grinding these up to make water based cold brew some time this week. They were nowhere bear this dark when they went into the rum!!!

safreek

Hi guys, just bought a new machine to replace the ol sunbeam.
For the life of me I can't get a decent brew.
Have tried fine ground, semi fine even partially fine. With the old sunbeam I could always pull a great short black, with this rancilio piece of shit all shots are undrinkable, crema looks fairly good but disappears quickly. With the old machine the crema stuck to the cup sides all through the drinking.
Have even tamped light, med and damn fucking hard.
Any ideas guys

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Small experiment here...made some cold brew with Bacardi rather than water. It was pretty powerful stuff! I got the method off an old Japanese bar owner, but substitute Bacardi in for shochu.

Will be grinding these up to make water based cold brew some time this week. They were nowhere bear this dark when they went into the rum!!!

View attachment 366886
Ok...I made this up into cd brew. It smelt absolutely shit while brewing. I filtered it today and it was not terrible. Ummmmm...it is drinkable, but not delicious. I can taste the rum in the beans and the coffee flavour isn't strong. I also tried it with some cream and maple syrup...maple syrup make so many things good. I probably won't try it again.

@safreek how much pump pressure does the new machine have? What does the shot look like coming out? How fast? Dose size? Extraction yield?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Have tried fine ground, semi fine even partially fine. With the old sunbeam I could always pull a great short black, with this rancilio piece of shit all shots are undrinkable, crema looks fairly good but disappears quickly. With the old machine the crema stuck to the cup sides all through the drinking.
Any ideas guysView attachment 367257
New machine time. I’ll take the Silvia off your hands for $300 for my desk at work.

What grinder are you using? How long does it take to pour a shot ie is it gushing through?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone used a Flair Espresso manual press thingo? Thinking about getting one for weekends away when I have time to piss fart around with coffee, was going to pair with a hand grinder, any suggestions on that front?

safreek

Thanks for the offered help to investigate the coffee machine problem. Have been two rooted at the moment to fuck around with the new machine, shall sunbeam on til I have time hopefully on the weekend

Petero

Likes Dirt
There's a bit of faffing about to start but worth it once you find the right formula.

Now it's fairly dialed I only normally need to adjust my grinder setting 2-3 increments depending on the beans.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Any ideas guysView attachment 367257
What's your grinder? Sounds like you're not getting a fine enough grind. Also are you giving the machine 10mins to warm up?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Scan FB for grinders every now and again on the lookout for a replacement and scored this for $50 ..20200916_193751.jpg

Might need to find a smaller hopper!

ausdb

Being who he is
That is a good score!
I bought a much maligned 2 grouo San Marino lisa a few years back for $150, only because there was a jolly sitting on top of it that was included. Still looking for a CMA/ Astoria lever group to bolt onto the boiler to turn it into a lever machine

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I bought a much maligned 2 grouo San Marino lisa a few years back for $150, only because there was a jolly sitting on top of it that was included. Still looking for a CMA/ Astoria lever group to bolt onto the boiler to turn it into a lever machine
I've worked on a few of these over the years. There is a roaster at home that must have purchased all the old best up ones and reconditioned them to give to his cafe customers for his free machine with coffee contract. He built a lever machine with one of these for the guts. It was a pain in the arse to use, but once dialled delivered some pretty good coffee.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Has anyone used a Flair Espresso manual press thingo? Thinking about getting one for weekends away when I have time to piss fart around with coffee, was going to pair with a hand grinder, any suggestions on that front?
Yep don't bother. Just go the waeco. It doesn't pack as small, weights a fair bit and the process is a bit of a mess for an ok result. If you have the time, might as well walk to a local cafe (or 7-11) if you are camping and all that then you'll also need a sturdy flat surface. Too halfway house for me, sold mine a while ago.

#edit also you should fork out for the seal upgrade, the stock one is rubbish.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep don't bother. Just go the waeco. It doesn't pack as small, weights a fair bit and the process is a bit of a mess for an ok result. If you have the time, might as well walk to a local cafe (or 7-11) if you are camping and all that then you'll also need a sturdy flat surface. Too halfway house for me, sold mine a while ago.

#edit also you should fork out for the seal upgrade, the stock one is rubbish.
Too late I ordered one! We'll see how I go, not much of a camper, where I usually stay cafe is a good 1 hour round trip walk. I've always wanted a lever and I do know it will be fiddly, I'm ok with that I'll just delegate bacon and egg cooking duties to the mrs while I do the coffee!