Coil shock upgrade

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m looking at getting a 205x65 marz bomber cr coil for my e160 to replace RockShox super deluxe. Was planning to get a cane creek progressive coil too. What do I need to know to order the correct one? There seems to be 2 different diameters and I’m not sure if the coil length matters. It’s trunnion mount so I guess I need bushings for the other end?
Thanks
Mas

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate I've got the Bomber but it's on a Commencal Clash so I can't compare how it performs with an E160 but I do like it. Bang for buck I think it's amazing. So where to start???

Firstly yes the coil length will matter, but as long as it's for your shock you should be fine. I'm not aware of any coil that can accommodate different length springs. Doesn't mean they don't exist, I've just not heard of it if it does and logically, thinking about it I can't see how it would work.

I've not got experience with the progressive coil. I understand how it works I've just not used one. I don't know how you'd work out which one you'd use. There must be some comparison chart out there if it's significantly different to your normal spring rate. So essentially I'm fucking useless. What I do suggest is call up Cyclinc or MTB suspension centre and have a chat with them. I've had excellent service from both over the years and they've always been bang on with their suggestions for my set ups.

Last edited:

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I'll hijack this thread instead of making another.

Looking at getting coil for my new eone sixty as i loved it in my commencal. Had a superdelux rsc coil which I thought was great. Looking around its nearly impossible to find a second hand 205 x 65 trunnion mount coil shock so I think I'm stuck buying new.
I would like one with a lockout.
So far it looks like the best value is the dvo jade x for about $750 from the germans.
Anyone else got any suggestions?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I’d give nsdynamics a yell if you’re going to DVO. Listed as $850 for a jade coil $950 for a jade x, although there is only a 205 x 60 listed in stock it’d be configurable to a 65mm stroke. Up to you to decide whether COVID post and local support is worth the extra $200 you’ll save from ze Germans though.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll hijack this thread instead of making another.

Looking at getting coil for my new eone sixty as i loved it in my commencal. Had a superdelux rsc coil which I thought was great. Looking around its nearly impossible to find a second hand 205 x 65 trunnion mount coil shock so I think I'm stuck buying new.
I would like one with a lockout.
So far it looks like the best value is the dvo jade x for about $750 from the germans.
Anyone else got any suggestions?
There are 2x 205 x 62.5 jade coils on Facebook for around $450. I think they can be changed easily to 65 stroke with a spacer but they don’t have the lockouts though. Otherwise cheapest new non lockout is Marz bomber cr.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I’d give nsdynamics a yell if you’re going to DVO. Listed as $850 for a jade coil $950 for a jade x, although there is only a 205 x 60 listed in stock it’d be configurable to a 65mm stroke. Up to you to decide whether COVID post and local support is worth the extra $200 you’ll save from ze Germans though.
200 gets me a couple coils to try and find the right spring rate. Wish it was easier on the wallet to support local retailers.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Talk to NSD, they are keen to talk about price.

I had a shock and fork buy, they offered the discount lower than I was thinking.

Awesome customer service from both NSD and Cyclinic in the past.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An x-fusion hc3 might be a wallet friendly alternative.

Does anyone have experience with those?
So as I mentioned above the Bomber CR is a good bit of kit and cheaper than the xfusion but when you but the coil it's slightly more expensive. A few bucks, not much. Personally I'd be going Marzocchi/Fox over Xfusion.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
So as I mentioned above the Bomber CR is a good bit of kit and cheaper than the xfusion but when you but the coil it's slightly more expensive. A few bucks, not much. Personally I'd be going Marzocchi/Fox over Xfusion.
The Bomber CR is just a rebranded Vanilla rc, ie it will only work if your bike has lots of anti-squat and progression. The compression knob is for low speed compression, so if you get lots of bottom outs your only options are a heavier spring or a custom tune. Better to get something with high speed compression or bottom out control to begin with.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Has no lockout, really liked having a lockout.

I bought a second hand x-fusion hc3 and have a progressive cc coil on the way. We'll see how it goes.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has no lockout, really liked having a lockout.
Got to admit that I've never used my lockout, well more precisely "climb switch" on my ElevenSix. That goes for when it was on my Pivot Mach 6 and now my Evil Wreckoning. I've always figured coils were more for the "heavy hitting end" of riding so figured it wasn't really a thing, in fact the two modes on my ElevenSix are now set to "Full DH" and the stiffer "Park" settings. I find it strange that there'd be a lockout on a coil but maybe that's a perception thing on my behalf.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
The Bomber CR is just a rebranded Vanilla rc, ie it will only work if your bike has lots of anti-squat and progression. The compression knob is for low speed compression, so if you get lots of bottom outs your only options are a heavier spring or a custom tune. Better to get something with high speed compression or bottom out control to begin with.
Hey @Oddjob - mind elaborating on why it the Bomber CR would work well on bike with anti-squat? I'm pondering one of these for a 2017 RM Slayer which i believe has high anti-squat.... but i dont want to spend $300 on top of purchase for re-valving, etc etc etc.... I was hoping it would be a plug and play type upgrade for my current RS Super Deluxe assuming i got the right spring rate. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Because the Bomber only has limited adjustability out of the box. If your bike has high anti-squat there's no real need for a climb switch or lots of fiddling with the low speed compression.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk